Why become a member? ×

What equipment do you bring to a gig

Boodang

Looking through the 'what car do you use' thread and there seems to be a few people with small cars just taking one bass and one amp to a gig. So got me thinking, what do most people take... just the basics with no backup, or everything except the kitchen sink?

I fall very much into the latter category and catastrophise at all the things that could go wrong. When I first started gigging I didn't even have spare strings, then one night the guitarist said 'what happens if you break one?'. Fair point, and from that point onwards I couldn't stop thinking about what would could go wrong. 

I usually bring 3 or 4 basses anyway but I also bring a spare amp/cab, obviously spare leads (usually quite a few), spare strings (each bass has a different set, so I bring spares for each), then there's my box of stuff with duck tap, soldering iron, selection of spare connectors (neutrix Jack's, xlr, jack chassis, 9v etc), spare psu's, fuses (various; mains but also the ones found inside the amps we're using), plus a few adapters (xlr to jack, stereo to mono jack etc), then a selection of extension leads, tools (snips, allen, screw drivers, etc), mains tester plug, multi meter.... I'm sure I've left some stuff off the list! Plus spare effect pedals for my favourite ones I can't do without. And I have even been known to carry spares for other musicians if I think they're not very prepared. Was in one band where I always brought along a spare snare and bass drum pedal, plus a spare mic for the vocalist.

And that's why I need a Volvo 240 estate at least to get my gear to a gig!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bass,

Line6 Helix Floor,

3U Rack case containing the computer and interface for running the backing,

Stand for the rack case on stage,

Bag of leads and bits,

And for the smaller gigs or when I am unsure of the quality of the foldback an RCF745 powered cab.

For big gigs, if I wasn't also in charge of the backing, I'd just take the bass and the Helix.

19 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

In 34yrs of playing I have only ever broken one string and had one amp let me down so I am very much a bass / amp with a few spare leads / cables etc if I remember kind of player. 

In 40yrs of playing I've never broken a string and yet I still can't help but take spare sets (plural) to a gig!

For gigs

• Bass (occasionally 2)
  • Cab
  • Rack case containing amp, wireless receiver and PSU for pedalboard
  • Pedalboard
  • Cable snake between amp and p'board containing send, return and 9v supply cables
  • Strap with wireless trans and lead
  • At least 8 AA batteries
  • Bag containing leads, mains cables and speaker cables, and spares of each
  • Folding trolley
  • Hercules bass stand
  • Music stand (on rare occasions)
  • Box of bits (picks; a few allen keys in the relevant sizes; multitool with pliers & drivers; superglue; nail clippers; UV torch for luminlay)

For rehearsals

• Bass & strap
  • Behringer BX600 combo
  • Tuner
  • Necessary leads
  • Bass stand & music stand
  • Box of bits
  • Trolley... that little combo is ridiculously heavy 

• Like 1

1 bass. (I've convinced myself I've need more than one in the past, but I really don't! Honestly, nobody cares if I play Muse on a P with flats or The Beatles on an active 5 string. I just use whatever I fancy on the night.)
Line6 Helix LT
2 instrument cables (Also two XLR cables from the PA cable box)
3 plectrums
IEMs & belt-pack
iPad & laptop for controlling mixer. (Laptop ready to go on ethernet if the iPad or Wifi fails at any point. Never happened yet, but I don't quite trust the tech 100% yet)

I play covers in city centre pubs, where nearby parking is often difficult and 'stage' space is at a premium. So, the less gear the better. 

2 basses

1 amp

1 cab

Pedals (sometimes only a tuner and a compressor, sometimes the mothership)

Emergency backup di box type thing - currently a Tech21 SH-1 and a backup compressor.

1 set spare strings

I double up on most cables - always. IEC / Speakon / Guitar. 

Simple tool kit.

If I'm singing - then my mic.

To link in with the other thread too, I have a focus estate, it's perfection.

3 piece band, Singer/Guitar, Me, Drums

Most gigs - heads and breakables, I can get all 3 of us in with what need plus merch box.

In terms of what I take:

Bass

Head

Pedal board

Strap

2 x jack leads (no spares on me oops)

3 x speak-on cable (in case there's two cabs plus a spare)

Kettle lead

Extension lead if no power out front for the pedal board.

Face towel! very important!

Spare set a strings, 9v battery.

I did used to have a large bag with 2 x everything in there, but never (touch wood) gone through jacks / power cables or speaker cables.

I have no idea where to start...I own the band Pa/lighting so all that comes with me!!! 

1. Subs (if needed)
  2. Tops
  3. Stand bags
  4. Mic stand bag
  5. Audio cable trunk - everything fro, 1ft lot 60ft XLRs, various length 1/4" instrument cables, speaking cables
  6. Power cable trunk - extension cables, 6 way sockets, 13 amp power cables
  7. Stage boxes
  8. Mixer rack - self contained with a rack-router, IEM TX, wireless mic RX, X32 Rack and RJ45 network cables for stage boxes
  9. Spare Mixer (XR18)
  10. Wedges/drummers IEM pack
  11. Mic case
  12. LED par cans
  13. LED Mini Spot case
  14. iPads
  15. 2 x basses
  16. Guitar rack
  17.  DI Pedal
  18. Spare Ashdown mini head
  19. Wireless rack

Think that's about it!  Yes, I have a van!

Edited by DaytonaRik

1 minute ago, DaytonaRik said:

I have no idea where to start...I own the band Pa/lighting so all that comes with me!!! 

1. Subs (if needed)
  2. Tops
  3. Stand bags
  4. Mic stand bag
  5. Audio cable trunk - everything fro, 1ft lot 60ft XLRs, various length 1/4" instrument cables, speaking cables
  6. Power cable trunk - extension cables, 6 way sockets, 13 amp power cables
  7. Stage boxes
  8. Mixer rack - self contained for IEMs, wireless mics, X32 Rack and RJ45 network cables for stage boxes
  9. Spare Mixer (XR18)
  10. Wedges/drummers IEM pack
  11. Mic case
  12. LED par cans
  13. LED Mini Spot case
  14. iPads
  15. 2 x basses
  16.  DI Pedal
  17. Spare Ashdown mini head
  18. Wireless rack

Think that's about it!  Yes, I have a van!

yes i have all that as well as I carry the PA, but for personal use very little as I don't (like you i imagine) have the luxury of time to play with all the toys.

2 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

yes i have all that as well as I carry the PA, but for personal use very little as I don't (like you i imagine) have the luxury of time to play with all the toys.

It's a struggle getting it all in and set up!  At least I have crib sheets so that each band member can take care of their own mics, know what they need to plug in where etc.  Time between arriving and sound check slips through the hands like sand!!!!  Digital stage boxes - one upstage, one downstage - makes cable runs much easier though

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

- fretted 5, sometimes a fretless or an EUB

- amp

- cab and its cover

- FX board & page flipper in a mono bag

- tab (notes, scores)

- tab stand

The bass mono bag has neatly coiled cables, tuner, tab, spare set of strings, spare battery, tools, foldable scissors, DMM, ear plugs... If I am taking two electrics, I use the mono dual bag.

Amp rack case has power and cab cables.

Generally: 

Bass
Amp and cab/combo
Pedals and leads

If I use a combo (a Mesa Walkabout 1x15), I can pretty much load in everything and out in one trip with the combo in my right hand, my bass in a gig bag over my left shoulder and my pedal bag over my right shoulder. This was my 'non-touring' set up in Glasgow for 10 plus years and was designed to enable me to get in and out of a black cab in one movement. I can walk about 100 yards with this gear which usually gets me from the cab to the venue. Not comfortable but do-able. 

If on tour, I generally use separate head and cab and a back up cab because we usually had a van.

My touring days are probably over now but I now have a car which is nice.  I drive a 2008 Volvo V50 with 160k+ miles on it. In practice a malfunctioning car is far more likely than malfunctioning bass gear. 

As my gigging band is an originals band it depends on the gig, some have provided rigs, or cabs so:

Bass - always 

Clip on tuner - always

Preamp/DI - always

Bag of leads/spare strings - always

Amp - depends 

Cabs - depends 

In my last band I always took a backup bass but in this band the 2 guitarists don’t take backups so I’m not either.

Edited by Lozz196

2 basses

Spare strings

Hx Stomp

3 leads (one spare) 

Di box

4 bar

Iems

I mainly do dep weddings so I've basically got a backup of everything as it would be terrible for something to break! 

If you're driving, I don't see a problem taking this lot. It's basically a rucksack and two gig bags. One bass stays in the bag. 

I've had two basses fail and broke a few strings over the years so having a back up for a quick turn around just makes sense! 

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

Looking through the 'what car do you use' thread and there seems to be a few people with small cars just taking one bass and one amp to a gig. So got me thinking, what do most people take... just the basics with no backup, or everything except the kitchen sink?

I fall very much into the latter category and catastrophise at all the things that could go wrong. When I first started gigging I didn't even have spare strings, then one night the guitarist said 'what happens if you break one?'. Fair point, and from that point onwards I couldn't stop thinking about what would could go wrong. 

I usually bring 3 or 4 basses anyway but I also bring a spare amp/cab, obviously spare leads (usually quite a few), spare strings (each bass has a different set, so I bring spares for each), then there's my box of stuff with duck tap, soldering iron, selection of spare connectors (neutrix Jack's, xlr, jack chassis, 9v etc), spare psu's, fuses (various; mains but also the ones found inside the amps we're using), plus a few adapters (xlr to jack, stereo to mono jack etc), then a selection of extension leads, tools (snips, allen, screw drivers, etc), mains tester plug, multi meter.... I'm sure I've left some stuff off the list! Plus spare effect pedals for my favourite ones I can't do without. And I have even been known to carry spares for other musicians if I think they're not very prepared. Was in one band where I always brought along a spare snare and bass drum pedal, plus a spare mic for the vocalist.

And that's why I need a Volvo 240 estate at least to get my gear to a gig!

What if your car breaks down with all that junk in it?

19 minutes ago, robscott said:

What if your car breaks down with all that junk in it?

I've got a spare car on the roof! But it's a good point. Most of it I'm not going to cry over as it's all replaceable except maybe my custom bass which I wouldn't leave behind. As it happens (touch wood) the Volvo 240 has never let me down and I've had it for the last 12 years.

Edited by Boodang

Two basses

One Amp

One 2 x 12 cab

Small pedal board

Case full of leads, picks, spare strings and a few tools

Guitar stand

DI cable, just in case

A towel and spare T shirt

In my last band I also had

Small digital mixer

2 x 15" PA speakers