Why become a member? ×

Modes

GM10

Naive question here. So my understanding is modes and the chords, scales and notes within them are a proven way of understanding music theory. Any of you guys use modes as your bible for playing bass? I do get that there are lots of other aspects to understanding and playing music but as a rule if I focus my theory knowledge on modes am I on the right path.

Edited by GM10
  • Like 1

I’m not great at it but I do like the theory side of bass , I’ve found the modes/ scales helpful to my playing and understanding what I’m playing, pentatonics are my favourites, they are used a lot in reggae so working on those was and is beneficial to me 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GM10 said:

Naive question here. So my understanding is modes and the chords, scales and notes within them are a proven way of understanding music theory. Any of you guys use modes as your bible for playing bass? I do get that there are lots of other aspects to understanding and playing music but as a rule if I focus my theory knowledge on modes am I on the right path.

Modes are a useful notion to know about, but probably not the main focus, on any instrument (disclaimer: I'm a drummer, so what would I know about 'modes'..? :$). I like to think of them as 'colour', or 'mood'. It's quite easy to test out this idea (even more so on a piano, but...). Get a major chord as a drone, and play the major scale notes over it, with emphasis on the root. Sounds fine..? Of course it does. Now, with this same drone, play that same set of notes, but with the emphasis on the second note ('D' in the case of a C Major scale...). Using only the same notes, but insisting on the 'D'. Sounds different..? It should. Try the same exercise, but with the emphasis on other notes in the scale. That's what 'modes' sound like. Some have a Hispanic feel to them, others more Eastern European; that's what I mean by 'colour'. Personally, I don't spend much (read 'any'...) time on memorising which mode has which name; I just play whatever sounds good in the context of the moment, but it would help if wanting to transmit to others what 'feeling' is intended. As I mentioned, useful to know about, but there's much, much more to concentrate on, so it's just a part of a whole. Intervals..? Voice-leading..? Pedals..? Substitutions..? Lots more than modes to dig into. B|

• Like 1

I know a lot of people tend to simplify modes to being just a major scale starting on a different note,  but that's only a small part. I like to look at them as different scales and how they relate to chords. As a basic example, where can you play a Mixolydian mode? It's essentially a major scale with a flat 7, so it fits perfectly over a dominant 7 chord. A Dorian mode goes really well over a minor 7 chord, and the raised 6th gives it a different flavour than playing Aeolian (which is just a minor scale).

Modes can be very handy, but I think something like knowing chord tones is far more useful and important.

• Like 1

Having taught students from the ground up many, many times, we've already covered a huge amount of ground even before we get to Modes. I feel there are necessary steps in progressive learning that should be covered and understood before a beginner dives in to something like Modes. (and no, that's not because learning the Modes is hard, by the way!)

More often or not, if a student comes to me to tell me about Modes their misunderstanding has come about because of the lack of theory preparation. The very building blocks, as it were.

An elementary example would be "I'm playing Aeolian, because this is the Aeolian pattern on the bass." 

Edited by Dood
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2022 at 12:46, GM10 said:

Sorry mate, I think modes are absolutely the WRONG path. Learn chord tones instead. Learn fingerings for 7 chords from major and minor harmony. Learn the inversions of all these chords all over the neck in all keys. 

You will progress way faster if you focus on chord tones.