Why become a member? ×

Shielding material.

Dr.Dave

Just bought a Squier Dimension. Anyone know if the shielding strip on the back of the pick guard also earths the pots as it does on other Fender basses ?

If it does - as I plan to replace the pickguard with a custom job - what material do you guys use to do the job ?

Just to add - depending on where you source your guard from, might already be done… I bought one from WD and it’s great. Foil covered on rear, superb quality, perfect fit, faster than advertised delivery. Assuming four string Squier then https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pickguards-c62/fender-basses-c111/squier-by-fender-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-c397

I rang them with questions and they were super helpful too. And good choice with the Dimension - they’re killer basses!

Wouldn't work if it was already shielded . I've ordered a clear plate because I like to have a cardboard template underneath with weird stuff stuck on it. Beer bottle labels - green shield stamps ( under 40 - ask ! ) anything daft. The shielding needs to be on the underside of the cardboard template. 

Anyway , the clear guard is still on order but I got some of the slug killer stuff and feeling in fettling mood I swapped out the brown tort guard on my old precision for a redder tort guard which is a WD product and shielded but because I've had it on and off for years the shielding's torn up a bit by the serrated pot washers so I refreshed it with the slug tape. Glad to say it works fine.

The dimension ( Yes , a 4 ) .. I'm stunned at how good it is. Got it from Bassbros for about ten bob - cracking player.

Be a few weeks but I'll post pics of it finished. It's already got dice knobs and my signature second string guide. No practical use at all but 40 odd years ago I was too green to string it properly and a second string guide helped. Sort of a trademark now ! I've got a couple of telecaster guitar decals kicking about somewhere too so it might say it's a Fender in the pics ! 

Nice. Two string trees = cool. I completely get that. Betsy has two AND a B string thingy. Tort also hugely approved: Was white, now brown tort. White is no-one’s idea of a good choice on natural wood. I’ve totally derailed this thread, but it’s original purpose was fulfilled so I don’t feel bad 🤗537A6296-9C8E-44BE-B012-5B7B2EF16DA4.thumb.jpeg.3bdf28162c3cf85f28589b4f6f9c81b6.jpeg3748494F-83F7-420D-A86D-1FE696F58803.thumb.jpeg.5b5058e38ec30067f3d22f736c19b2a7.jpeg

How much better does that look !!

I bought the dimension because I was looking for something cheap to stick a fretless Fender Jazz licenced neck on. Went and tried my mate's dimension and only at that point did it click that it's a 21 fret neck so that idea was off the cards. I was so impressed with the squier though I came home and bought myself one that same day.