Why become a member? ×

Best Car for Carrying Gear?

Chienmortbb

I used to be able to get an 8x10, a 4x10, an amp and 2 basses in a Renault 19... Had to watch the chassis on speed bumps.

I've also had a couple of Renault Megane Estates, dubbed "bass buses" brilliant little load luggers, the new one is good, but the version before that is cavernous with the back seats down.

The obvious band car is a volvo estate of some description, but I find them a bit bland.

I now have a Jag XF Sportbrake, which is very roomy, but about the same length as an InterCity 125.

38 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I currently have a SEAT LEON and although not small, I cannot get everything in the boot. Now some cars, like the Honda Jazz, have legendary flexibility but other than a van, what is there?

What size/amount of gear are we talking about here? if it has to go in the boot rather than putting the seats down (which is what I do in my golf), then an estate car (Ford, BMW or Volvo would get my pick) would seem the ideal choice :) 

My old Toyota Auris/Corolla would take a 2x15, bass, head, pedal bag with the seats folded down. My Yaris takes a 2x10, head, bass, pedals. In both cases keeping the passenger seat free/useable.

I suspect you can't go wrong if the vehicle name matches the bass:

jazz.jpg.1400dbb168312f5400dbb3c36c6bba4f.jpgstingray.jpg.e626482ff3d3f3f3dbb8e36c5c29e593.jpgbongo.jpg.7b761fb1c1b5286a4f2008c04e96be99.jpg

or even

rickenbacker.jpg.3813c03e4777eb287a00f27d3212da98.jpg

• Haha 1

I've got a Focus Estate (my 2nd one)

I can get my BF Super Twin, my amp and bag of cables in the boot, and my bass goes on the back seat.

Unless I use my headless - then I can fit it in the boot as well.

In the past, with the seats down, I've managed to fit two Marshall VBC412 cabs, 2 amp heads, 2 basses and a 16 channel powered board in there all at once - although getting above 40mph was a struggle!

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I currently have a SEAT LEON and although not small, I cannot get everything in the boot. Now some cars, like the Honda Jazz, have legendary flexibility but other than a van, what is there?

I have a SEAT Leon ST, and I can get everything in. Having said that, I had a SEAT Leon, normal shape before hand and with the seats down I got everything in. Where everything is 2 1x12 TC cabs, 2 Alto PA 12" cabs, mixer, amp, 2 basses, big bag with all the leads.

Now that I have the ST, I also have a bass bin which I take too.

I have a Skoda Octavia hatch. In the boot I can get my BF Super 12, 4U rack case, folding sack-trolley, rucksack containing FX and leads and so on, Hercules bass stand, music stand if required, bag containing stage gear, and gig bag containing Sire 5-string and associated stuff... all with the back seats up and the parcel shelf in place. That boot is like the Tardis. I would recommend an Octavia without hesitation.

wm3.jpg.c7300fe749c6a3eaba05028281b7b549.jpg

• Like 2

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - As big as any estate car BUT you can stack gear higher or stand cabs upright where less tall estate cars you'd need to lay them down.  You can get models (I have the XTR) which allow you to completely remove 1, 2 or 3 rear seats independently (and they are reasonably light).

image.thumb.png.31a083cf5e4bc48fd68641beac7e7167.png

image.png.2bff0ad176e6766220db29f660d78c35.png

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Boodang said:

6108_Volvo_240_Turbo1_copy.thumb.jpeg.539594eeca74d9f3cd793669713d455c.jpeg

Volvo 240 estate. I've got a 1989 version, £500, goes forever, never breakdown, no onboard computers to go wrong, volvo still make all the spares and great for those IKEA trips as well!

How do you get on with the 'old bill' with that registration plate?

My first car was a Morris 1000 Traveller. I had a Marshall 100 watt amp and 412 which fitted neatly in the back.

Since the 80's it's been Volvo's. I have a V60 these days and can fit me and the drummer with all our gear and have room for a third person.

I had a Kia C’eed Estate which with the seats not folded down I could fit bass in hard case, bass in gig bag, Ashdown ABM600 & 410, plus bag of leads. Fold the seats down and I could add 2 guitars in hard cases, Marshall JCM900 & 412, another leads bag, and 2 small cases for luggage.

I've got an old Volvo V50 - can get my rig in the boot and a couple of basses on the back seat, or a guitar rig (412 & flightcased head), bass rig (410 & 4u rack), 2 pedalboards, 4 guitars / basses and a couple of bags with the back seats down. I can even get the parcelshelf over my cab now that I'm using a 212 so no one can see what's in the boot. Reasonable mpg and very comfortable on long motorway trips, except for when the clutch goes (as it did on the motorway on the way to a gig last Saturday)! 

Before that, I had a Toyota Celica that I used to gig all over the country. I could easily get my rig, a couple of basses, bags, etc in the back (obviously with the back seats down, but then again you couldn't get any normal sized person in the back seats anyway)!