Why become a member? ×

Rock Till We Drop - BBC 2

Nail Soup

Well, good on them. I do hope they did enjoy themselves.

The old lad with the rock band certainly knew how to engage with the crowd though he was still a bit pub singer.

I cringed at the transition in to No Woman No Cry in the reggae thang and Bette, I guess she did her best but she's no front woman. No energy and she walked around so gingerly it was like something was about to fall out. I think she did hit a couple of notes right and as for the rendidtion of Don't Let Your Son Go Down On Me.. ouch! How she sang it is now well and truly stuck in my head!!

Edited by Marky L
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marky L said:

The old lad with the rock band certainly knew how to engage with the crowd though he was still a bit pub singer.

Yeah, better frontman than singer.

The other singer had no stage presence.

12 minutes ago, Marky L said:

she walked around so gingerly it was like something was about to fall out

Thanks - I'm going to be stuck with that image all day!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marky L said:

Well, good on them. I do hope they did enjoy themselves.

I cringed at the transition in to No Woman No Cry in the reggae thang and Bette, I guess she did her best but she's no front woman. No energy and she walked around so gingerly it was like something was about to fall out. I think she did hit a couple of notes right and as for the rendidtion of Don't Let Your Son Go Down On Me.. ouch! How she sang it is now well and truly stuck in my head!!

I could almost forgive her for the dodgy notes, but when a singer can’t even keep time and phrases everything so badly then it’s just not going to work. (Unfortunately that has nothing to do with her age either!) Coupled with a drummer who struggled with style and tempo of the reggae horror ‘mash’ then it was never going to be great.

Of course, this is all made for TV jeopardy gold.....😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

I could almost forgive her for the dodgy notes, but when a singer can’t even keep time and phrases everything so badly then it’s just not going to work. (Unfortunately that has nothing to do with her age either!) Coupled with a drummer who struggled with style and tempo of the reggae horror ‘mash’ then it was never going to be great.

Of course, this is all made for TV jeopardy gold.....😄

That drummer was still accelerating into "Don't let your son", so the additional rehearsals didn't help (or maybe nobody had bothered to tell him). The reggae seemed rather fast too. Then he said it was over too quickly. It wouldn't have been if he'd played at the right speed though.

I don't think that the female singer was helped by having mentors who went all Whitney Houston on her whenever they demonstrated a point.

The other band did OK. The bassist could have done with a longer T-shirt though, when he lifted his arms up at the end that wasn't a great look. 😁

I also couldn't figure out why they needed 32 minutes to play four non-prog songs, and WTAF was going to be said in 20 minutes of speeches?

That said, they had fun and the crowd seemed to be enjoying it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

What was Alan Pardew doing there...?

Just watching it now on IPlayer - my God.....totally!

Thing I don't understand is - apart from Carol, did no actual bass players audition?  Why were both male bassists guitar players that were "consoled" with a bass player spot? 

On 20/03/2022 at 13:22, chris_b said:

I haven't watched the programs, but the drummer has just posted a photo of an Isle of Wight gig on Facebook. . . and I know him and have played with him.

I was talking to someone at the weekend who knows the guitarist in the hat in Lady Leshur's band and has played with him a few times - he said that all of his promo stuff now mentions the IoW.... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Thing I don't understand is - apart from Carol, did no actual bass players audition?  Why were both male bassists guitar players that were "consoled" with a bass player spot?

I did wonder that. When Martin Kemp was told about Carol's unfortunate situation and the need to find a substitute he said something along the lines of 'bass players are hard to find'. He should have just searched Basschat and he'd have found plenty on here in the right age bracket!

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

That was absolutely infuriating. 

I felt really bad for Carol, but that final performance was a bit embarrassing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upside downer said:

He should have just searched Basschat and he'd have found plenty on here in the right age bracket!

Including me as I applied with our drummer for a bit of a giggle. 🙂

Strange the things you do when you've had a few beers.

• Haha 1

Let’s be honest, the bass and the bassist in general isn’t the focal point of most bands, with the pesky singists & guitards usually occupying those roles, so I think the hat thing is a “hey, I’m here too”.

Much like when I used to wear shades on stage in a glam-sleaze type band, it was a pee-take of the 80s look but also a way of saying I am here, look at me!

10 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive just watched the last episode. Even my GF commented that both bass players seemed to be guitarists.

I thought both band sounded ok, other than the singers. 

I think the bloke singer was alright.

10 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I think the bloke singer was alright.

He can sing, but i thought his timing was all over the place. Didnt like him on Angles. 

I know its easy to criticise from the couch, but i found it hard to listen to from a musical perspective. 

Edited by dave_bass5

8 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

He can sing, but i thought his timing was all over the place. Didnt like him on Angles. 

I know its easy to criticise from the couch, but i found it hard to listen to from a musical perspective. 

From a musical perspective better singer than me.

The bass player who substituted for Carol at the last minute was in one of the first decent bands I ever played in during the mid 70s.

He is a talented singer/guitarist and actually contacted me for some bass playing tips a couple of days before his performance.

I thought he did an excellent job considering the circumstances and it was a great opportunity he could not pass up.

• Like 3