Why become a member? ×

Rock Till We Drop - BBC 2

Nail Soup

When the drummer came in on "Don't let the sun", he was about 25% too fast. Either he can't play slow or he was desperate to get it over with. Male bass player seems rather better than my first impression of him. Carol is really bloody annoying, although she has a better sense of timing than the "I can't feel it" drummer.

I've been reading the comments in this thread whilst watching the show as the episodes are released and something has been bugging me.

There are many annoying factors, most of which have already been stated here, but here's another thought.

It irritates me that two lots of musicians have been thrown together and pushed forward into a slot at a globally recognised music festival for the sake of making this series.

Knowing how difficult it is to get gigs like this, for a musical celebrity to be able to ring one of his mates and get these bands on at the IoW is beyond irritating.

Personally, I don't rate either lead singer above anyone you might find down the Dog & Duck. I don't care what they've done in the past, the vocals just ain't there.

Putting the 90 year old drummer in there was a mistake waiting to happen and probably by design and the guy in the wheelchair, well 🤷‍♂️.

There's a couple of good musicians in there. I'd go and see Lebrun on a big stage with his regular band any day of the week. Both keys players are competent, the gent more so than the lady, although she is good fun.

The male bass player I despair with, but Carol is solid. The other guitar player is also good.

They could have made a half decent band with the best people out of both, but they would have needed a singer that can actually sing, which is where it all falls down for me.

I hope episode 4 is the last one and they don't make any more.

• Like 1

Let's face it, stick any competent pub band of a senior vintage in this show and get them up to speed regarding presentation and stagecraft at a massive festival and you've got a better programme with better music in right away. The series started as a light piece of froth and nonsense and has continued in that vein but with increasingly extra dollops of TV artifice. All that arm waving at the 'gig' on last night's episode, Leburn's angst at getting that complex song Angels bang-on, it's all trifling cobblers aimed at the sort of viewer who has never picked up an instrument in their life. "But, it's never too late!!!" the show is seemingly screaming at those people, avoiding the truth that, if you do grab yourself a cheap electric guitar off of ebay and a copy of Bert Weedon's Play in a Day, the chances of Mica Paris turning up in your back garden to warble away with you to get yourself ready for a two hour set on Saturday night down the Queens Head are slim at best.

14 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Spoiler alert…but best line yet

”as long as I can have a wee within next 20 minutes, I’ll have beer now”😂😂

13 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

And it was from the bass player!

13 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Ever practical, thinking ahead, all  about the timing. 
Bass player. 

Those were my thoughts too 😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Let's face it, stick any competent pub band of a senior vintage in this show and get them up to speed regarding presentation and stagecraft at a massive festival and you've got a better programme with better music in right away. The series started as a light piece of froth and nonsense and has continued in that vein but with increasingly extra dollops of TV artifice. All that arm waving at the 'gig' on last night's episode, Leburn's angst at getting that complex song Angels bang-on, it's all trifling cobblers aimed at the sort of viewer who has never picked up an instrument in their life. "But, it's never too late!!!" the show is seemingly screaming at those people, avoiding the truth that, if you do grab yourself a cheap electric guitar off of ebay and a copy of Bert Weedon's Play in a Day, the chances of Mica Paris turning up in your back garden to warble away with you to get yourself ready for a two hour set on Saturday night down the Queens Head are slim at best.

Maybe Plaster of Paris?

I am not normally one to have a go at anyone individually or question people's talents, but I think to have made it work they should have gone for a certain basic level of proficiency and for me, the drummer in the wheelchair is not anywhere near where he needs to be.

As said before, the way he came in way too fast in Angels and that comment about "I can't see her because I have my eyes closed to listen" shows he is way off the standard he should be.  I guess he was kept in to impress the disability campaigners?  I myself thought it was great to see until I heard him play.....

I think they should have realised his standard and swapped him out, like the 95 year old was gracious enough to admit himself.  I think the guy they have used to replace the 95 year old is much more solid and that band (including the guitbassist) is sounding much better. 

I think the lady bass player is a bit patronising but I don't blame her for getting mightily frustrated.  I have played with many drummer with basinc timing problems and it reflects bad on the whole band, not just them.  For this reason, I struggle to listen to them without cringing every time.  

I've watched all episodes so far and it's like any other reality program, they have put people in there to be mocked, (think Ann Widdecombe on Strictly for example).

Personally, I don't take their music proficiency, or lack of, too seriously, and if I was in the room with them I would accept their level, but the one person I would have had the hump with would have been Lebrun, regardless of ability, I expect everyone to turn up to rehearsals prepared.

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

one person I would have had the hump with would have been Lebrun, regardless of ability, I expect everyone to turn up to rehearsals prepared.

Leburn  :)

How would you know they didnt tell  him how to behave , a fabrication, just like the rest of the program.  They're deliberately squeezing in drama. 

I blame Chris Tarrant's millionaire producers way way back on that quiz.        " And pause for the result .. wait for it ... hang on...  just a bit more...  "     Etc etc  

Create tension.  Now that phoney tension is everywhere on TV like a bad rash. 

If you knew Leburn, you'd realise how professional he was, even if he isnt a top  A list artist.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fleabag said:

How would you know they didnt tell  him how to behave , a fabrication, just like the rest of the program.  They're deliberately squeezing in drama. 

I blame Chris Tarrant's millionaire producers way way back on that quiz.        " And pause for the result .. wait for it ... hang on...  just a bit more...  "     Etc etc  

If you knew Leburn, you'd realise how professional he was, even if he isnt a top  A list artist.

Yep, that whole sequence screamed manufactured to me.

• Like 1

Agree, it would be nice to see the band with the male singer do something like I Predict a Riot, a song with a bit of guts to it. It would still need to be a bit mainstream as both for the TV show and the generic festival audience but something with a bit of life to it.

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

I don't know if he was told to act unprepared, but I would still have the hump with him, and if he was told to behave like that in front of the camera's, then he should have refused to do it, after all, he's a pro musician and has his reputation to think of.