Why become a member? ×

Rock Till We Drop - BBC 2

Nail Soup

Seen 2 episodes , it’s almost as if they are setting the bands up to fail on purpose , choosing musicians more to do with age or their background story , rather than their ability to play rock or reggae.

The two guitarists are probably the most credible musicians for a rock band , I hope they do well out of the series .

• Like 3

It does look like just another '  inject tension ' into yet another reality tv  prog that now seems to dominate our screens.

Moving along, american  Leburn is the most pro muso in the line up.  Apart from him , and his band at the time ,  playing at my pals birthday do, i've seen him live elsewhere, like the Jericho Tavern blues night. I think he's already pretty damn good, regardless of whether you like his music or not.

• Like 3

I've just been watching the first episode tonight. Wow. What tension. What drama. I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight, to be honest with you. I mean, it could all be such a catastrophe. Imagine being onstage at the Isle of Wight festival and not being able to rock with sufficient  proficiency for such an auspicious occasion! There could be a drug- fuelled riot by rampaging agist festival-goers led by Marilyn Manson and Liam Gallagher, hell bent on revenge.  Those pensioners could be torn limb from limb. It doesn't bear thinking about. Let's just hope it all comes good for the oldies in the end.

Edited by Misdee
  • Haha 1

Just now, steantval said:

I have been watching it and have mixed opinions, one it shows you are never too old to carry on playing, but the flip side is that it’s portraying older musicians as being incompetent as displayed by some of those featured.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that each band only has only two songs to learn each, but six weeks to do it in and they are panicking.

• Like 1

The blonde vocalist Bet, her ego is already kicking in this evening, refused to attempt the Coldplay song because “ she couldn’t feel it “ 🤔

She has suggested she wants to do “ I wont let the sun go down on me” and demonstrates how good she can sing it.

What I actually heard was a washed up old cabaret version, dreadful. ☹️

Edited by steantval

Come on, if both the bands had really rocked it tonight, where would the tension be for the last programme at the IOW? Everyone loves a happy ending and that's what we'll be dished up next week, albeit heavily and selectively edited.

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Come on, if both the bands had really rocked it tonight, where would the tension be for the last programme at the IOW? Everyone loves a happy ending and that's what we'll be dished up next week, albeit heavily and selectively edited.

yep, I think we can all see where this program is going, contrived TV at it's best/worst

37 minutes ago, mep said:

At least he nailed the solo in the end.

More built in jeopardy I think - he seems a good player and would surely nail that solo in 10 mins max?

The drummer from Liverpool is the main offender for me - surely there must have been better applicants, or again

was he chosen knowing things would go t*ts up? The replacement drummer for the 95 year old guy on the other hand seems to be fine. 

3 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I think he was more bored by the song.... not exactly his style. 

When asked to do a solo for the same song he did a pretty good job.

Agreed.  A big yawn for him.  They could have picked a thousand better songs.

21 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Agreed.  A big yawn for him.  They could have picked a thousand better songs.

Maybe so, but he was there to do what they asked (albeit mainly for the cameras) - if he was bored with the material then he should have

just carried on doing his thing. Session players manage it all the time.

On 09/03/2022 at 12:21, ambient said:

I might be wrong, but I don’t think reggae is something that you can just play. It’s a feel thing, you have to feel it, to do that I think you need to have immersed yourself in it.

Isn't that the same with any genre? 

• Like 1