Why become a member? ×

Rock Till We Drop - BBC 2

Nail Soup

Any watching "Rock Till We Drop" on BBC2... first episode was tonight?

Martin Kemp and Lady Leshur are forming two bands of older musicians (average age 70's) to play off at the Isle of White festival.

I enjoyed the first show, looking forward to the other 3.

What did you think?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched this, was quite inspiring for many reasons.

Just shows that we should keep on playing for as long as we can, as long as we still enjoy music & can physically still play our instruments?
There was a 95 year old drummer, who only retired at 87! Maximum respect to these musicians…

I found the program a bit bass light, only featuring one capable lady bassist?

Perhaps bassists might feature in the second episode?
Looking forward to next week’s episode..

• Like 1

An enjoyable watch. They've all got the chops required, it's not like they've just grabbed some poor sucker off of the street, thrust a Les Paul into their hands and gone "make some noises with this or Martin Kemp will look foolish", so the mild peril aspect is a bit frothy and will rely on whether the different styles of the players involved can gel into a cohesive unit before they get on stage. Which, I'm guessing, they will. The bands played at the Isle of Wight Festival last year and I can't recall headlines like 'Septuagenarian Rock Bands Bottled Off By Unforgiving Pop Crowd' in the press.

Good to see Carol the bass player getting some kudos.

Edited by upside downer
spelling
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, pete.young said:

OK, so how many of you older dudes auditioned for this?

Me? Not ruddy likely. Modern music, it's all too loud. And you can't hear the words. Bah.

Is it time for my nap yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Yes it was interesting that the woman on bass was the most straightforward character. No ego or personality stuff, just played the right bassline for the required style.

Spoiler Alert: the preview of the next episode cut to her saying " I was only trying to help' amidst a back story of things not going as well as they'd hoped..... so doubtless watch this space ( which is the whole point of the  programme). They also highlighted both drummers who  were having issues too ( nothing new there)!

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to watching this series! 

We live in a society that has a built-in prejudice that encourages us to think of older people as increasingly useless and problematic. This program seeks to challenge those assumptions through the prism of rock music. It has all the right ingredients to be compelling car crash television.

• Like 2

There’s a band I occasionally play for, the youngest is mid-70s and the oldest is mid-80s. They moan a bit about their various ailments, and the sax player has to keep running off for a wee, other than that they’re quite good fun.

• Haha 2

I was transfixed watching this.  Great TV !

spooky bit .. i know Leburn Maddox with the dreads, the acoustic  player.  I've met him a couple of times. He even played at mrs bag's birthday party with Spy Austin and Sam Kelly,  as mrs bag and Leburn are good pals

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3