Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congratulations to @skankdelvar who is finding his groove with aplomb and showing the way 

The image he has chosen for the March challenge is very much on topic as he explains...

"The pic for March is daffodils. For me, they signal the imminence of Spring but daffodils could mean anything to anyone."

image.png.e15b9c449e061ee83557ab4437169b67.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the Pre-pancake day truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on Tuesday 24th March 

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I pulled the trigger in that new computer but.... on the model I got , there was no controls for screen brightness and contrast etc and with the screen so big I couldn’t handle it . 
so that’s gone back.

they have however offered to replace it with a higher spec with a silent fan , and 1TB SSD , so I hoping to be relatively future proof in a wee while .

I am therefore trying to keep it very simple this month 😁

• Like 1

Here is my contribution to the March 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Skank Del Var.
It was the colours that inspired, with thoughts of voices from the East; will they ever be heard again..? Where are they, right now..? To be played quite loud, to drown out the thud of cannons.
A simple collage of samples gleaned from t'web; all merit goes to the people singing. Long may they be able to do so. Reaper, of course, nowt else.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

Here is my contribution for March 2022.

Blurb:
Daffodils always remind me of a works trip to a daffodil festival. The organiser has a son with some kind of nuerotype which leads to argumentative behaviour, which is very difficult for his parents. This is one of the few works trips he didn't come on. That is one of the topics covered. 

Technical Notes: Studio One DAW, piano-roll drums (Dope Kit), Vantage Bass, Squier Tele gtr, Mai-Tai keys played via Akai-mini, Beheriger condesor mic.

• Like 5

I've kept this one light of FX to ease the load on my machine before the plunge into the new one goes past the point of no return :D

A few observations put together in an oddish sort of time , reflections of simpler things maybe 

• Like 4

My contribution to the March 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge. Inspired by the picture chosen by the previous winner - Skank Del Var.

Inspired by the colours, the times in which we live, the thought of bits of kids being sent to do a job that's not at all what they were told, and the story of a very brave old woman.

Tech wise.... Bass is EUB, interesting in a rock setting, having no sustain and being a bit of a pig to play, but I guess those limitations shaped the line. Recorded through the Helix, as were the Guitars. The harmonics bit is the Shuker, straight into the interface and otherwise unsullied. Drums courtesy of MT Power Drums, and keys 'Straight Outta Cubase' (Elephants 10).

• Like 4

Here's a bit of jazzy groove with a soporific feel. Or not! Either way, it's inspired by Frank Bough eating daffs on Nationwide 😁

Tis a Lightwave fretless, Vienna sax and keys from AAS sounds. Drums programmed in EZ Drummer, with percussion made from Digicussion sounds. All mixed in Doblys, with a good spattering of Ozone 9.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SH73 said:

Is the deadline Thursday 24th of March or Tuesday 22nd of March? 

No, to be serious for a rare moment... If we look at the calendar, we see a week's voting till end of month telling us that the 'Tuesday' is a typo, due, without a doubt, to extended use over a long period of enibriating substances and tiredness. I'll stick my neck out and state that it's Thursday 24th that was intended, and will mark the end of Challenge submissions.
Not really my concern, as I try to get mine in well before end of first week, so as not to have to rush things at the end, but that's just me. -_-

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No, to be serious for a rare moment... If we look at the calendar, we see a week's voting till end of month telling us that the 'Tuesday' is a typo, due, without a doubt, to extended use over a long period of enibriating substances and tiredness. I'll stick my neck out and state that it's Thursday 24th that was intended, and will mark the end of Challenge submissions.
Not really my concern, as I try to get mine in well before end of first week, so as not to have to rush things at the end, but that's just me. -_-

I will retire one day too,you know? But then I'll be confused with day and dates.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SH73 said:

Is the deadline Thursday 24th of March or Tuesday 22nd of March? 

That was a test after last months fun and games 😉

I was probably looking at last years calendar , I do hate throwing things away 😂

yes though, as @Dad3353 suggests, we will run with 24th 👍

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SH73 said:

That was meant to be for @Dad3353 who is always ahead of game. 

Game..? There's a game..? Oh,goody; can I be in goal..? Who's dealing..? I'll saddle the pony and splice a mainbrace or two. Don't start without me, now. Back in a jiffy...

(Sounds of receding shuffling, and low 'whoops' that fade to black. Tubleweeds tumble...)

• Haha 1

Here is this month's contribution.  

Inspired by the Latin name for the daffodil, Narcissus which led me to write something about those people that rate themselves too highly.

Technical - I was a bit pushed for time this month after abandoning an all electronic track that started OK and fell off a cliff so I went back to my last song of a similar genre and copied the project for all of the settings.  I tweaked them a bit but they suited the song and it saved a heap of time.  It's a Fender Tele and Squier PB all via Amplitube 5.  MT power drums.  I forced myself to be a bit more confident with the vocals - they're still very shaky but I think singing with a bit more effort improves them a little - just a touch of reverb and EQ from Cubase helps polish the turd.

• Like 5

Just a song about daffodils. They're pretty.

Lyrics ↓

Spoiler

Talking 'Bout The Daffodils

The poet William Wordsworth would walk the lake-land fells
where one day he chanced upon a cloud of daffodils
He gazed at them for hours and then he ran back home,
sat down, picked up a pen and wrote a poem
He was...

Talking bout the daffodils
and in that rocky landscape of gently flowing rills he was

When I was just a young man I whiled away the hours
jacked up on dope and liquor but I never saw the the flowers.
Then a sweet somebody came into my life,
sat me down and opened up my eyes
She was...

I forsook a lifetime of whisky and cheap thrills

The singles and the doubles and my favourite 'Pheasant's Eye'
The daffodils all raise their golden trumpets to the sky
and like a choir of angels in transports of delight
The daffodils will sing their hymn of joy
And I'm...

from tiny city gardens to the green and rolling hills

Boring stuff ↓

Spoiler

Shure PG57

Sigma acoustic
HB Tele

Ancient 4gb Dell PC

EMU 0404

Reaper 6

Usual JS plug-ins + Antress Dynakiller, Klanghelm MJUCjr, Outlaw gain rider, Adam Monroe Tremolo VST, Monster Drums (all free, I'm a cheap bastard).

• Like 5

Dusted off the acoustic guitars, one played in standard tuning the other in Nashville tuning

Bass is a unbranded old 40+ years young Japanese jazz with equally old flat strings

Drum kit a cheap Tornado kit

Acoustic and vocals recorded with a Behringer mic

All recorded in Ableton live, mixed and mastered with Ableton and T racks 

The song is called Diedfordills , unsure if lyrics have any meaning. Oh yeah, and nicked the phrase from a Thread, hope allowed 😁

Springs is here

It's cringing me

The world affairs

Bring despairs

Mr… .

Stop refuting!

Are we on the brink of a war?

The whole world pleas

For world wide peace

Please end this tyranny

What we're seeing

Has no meaning

Stop this madness

Sorrow and sadness

They died for dills

They died for dills

They died for dills

They died for…..dills

Spare our cities

Leave our towns

Spare our children

Spare our lives

Life is like

Day and night

When joy turns

Into darkenss

No guarantee as

Far as we can see

Where this takes us?

It's surreal!

Like the ocean

Dark and deep

Will we ever see the end?

They died for dills

They died for dills

They died for dills

They died for…..dills

It's not the time to

Say goodbye

End this craze

And Lough out loud….

Is this a dream 

I Wish it was

All this conflict

At what cost

Stop the fighting and save

The human race

This world would be a better place

All the mankind 

Join in

Hold your hands 

And greet the spring

They died for dills

They died for dills

They died for dills

They died for…..dills

Edited by SH73
Added lyrics
  • Like 5

Here's mine, better late than never. Probably 😄

An instrumental with a slow and steady beat, a chilled feel and the wish that we'd all kick off our tight shoes, grab a tipple of whatever takes our fancy, smell the flowers and try and enjoy our time on this crazy old world with our fellow travellers in time and space.

Drums - Hydrogen drum program

Bass - Westfield violin bass

Keys - Yamaha keyboard

Guitar - an old, unbranded Strat copy using open G tuning and only 5 strings (like wot Keef does) with a dose of echo in places

Recorded, as ever, with Wavepad and Audacity. I continue to give @skankdelvar a run in the cheapskate stakes :biggrin:

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 4

Just about made it! Last minute, as usual.

It's a spring-like, yearning, germinating thing. Or something! ymmv!

I found a guitar sound that sounds to me like it is straining and yearning to get out of the cold ground into the light. There's burbling nutrients in the soil too...
Drums recorded into reaper, the rest done on my Zoom R24 and quickly finished therein, currently typing within an hour of the entry deadline (as usual)
Featuring my new Aluminium Tama SLP snare, Gordon-Smith 12string, Godin Solidac and U.S. Masters fretless bass

• Like 4