Why become a member? ×

Vigier - 'The Last Guitar'

ped

17 minutes ago, itu said:

Both Passion II basses I own have similar fretboards that could be phenolic resin.

As has my S3. The only Vigiers I've seen without are the Delta Metal fretless.

Which is not to say that I think a wooden board on a graphite neck is a bad idea. I'm sure an Ebony (fretted or fretless) board would sound great.

3 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

As has my S3. The only Vigiers I've seen without are the Delta Metal fretless.

Which is not to say that I think a wooden board on a graphite neck is a bad idea. I'm sure an Ebony (fretted or fretless) board would sound great.

The Series IVs have the same 10/90 system as the Excess series which all have maple/rosewood boards. My Excess has a maple board and think I prefer the look and 'feel' of the maple if nothing else over the phenowood. 

Was it the Series II or III basses where Vigier ditched the all graphite necks and went to the 10/90 route?

14 minutes ago, thodrik said:

The Series IVs have the same 10/90 system as the Excess series which all have maple/rosewood boards. My Excess has a maple board and think I prefer the look and 'feel' of the maple if nothing else over the phenowood. 

Was it the Series II or III basses where Vigier ditched the all graphite necks and went to the 10/90 route?

Series III are 10/90. I've had a few and felt they were excellent but the baked in relief was a TINY bit too much for my tastes, being so used to a dead flat S2 at the time. Probably wouldn't mind now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Which is not to say that I think a wooden board on a graphite neck is a bad idea.

My MG Genesis has chechen board, and the neck is a combination of wood and carbon (spine). There's a truss rod, too, but it is useless. Functional, but useless.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a bit late to this post, but having read the announcement I have to say that in all the years of buying basses, Vigier have impressed me the most. I am so glad to have bought my Passion and Excess when I did! 

I’ve also got for say thanks to Matt (Mattbass6) for getting me into them by selling me his Purple Excess5! :) 

Superbe, Patrice! 

Edited by rhysyjob
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

A bit of an update following a conversation with Mark at Bass Direct last week.

The rumours are true, Vigier will wind up production at the end of 2023.

Patrice is 68 and wants to retire, however the distribution side of the business High Tech Distribution will continue with Patrice’s daughter heading up that side of the business.

Bass Direct have one more Passion 5 on order but that’s all folks! 

Thinking of Pedulla etc, it really brings home the fact that some of the major high end manufacturers are not getting any younger.

• Like 3

Yes, there is no obligation for him to continue making instruments or expanding or coming up with licensing agreements that might devalue the name. 

I am lucky to own two. I would have loved to have put in an order for a GV Rock, but house renovations will dictate otherwise. 

• Like 1

In this 'instant on demand age' few people seem to have the patience to wait 12 months or so for a hand-made instrument made by craftsman. They woudl rather pay a lot of money for a 'premium' mass market item, which however much it is 'customised' is not really a genuinely customised item, and is still essentially mass-produced with different final finishings.... My relatively inexpert view   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

It's a pity no one came onboard and learnt the skills to continue the marque. Maybe the demand just isn't there any longer?

I can’t see that demand has dropped off tbh. They seem to attract devotees, a few of which have popped up on here! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

It's a pity no one came onboard and learnt the skills to continue the marque. Maybe the demand just isn't there any longer?

Vigier was not a one man band, the workforce has the skills. 

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

In this 'instant on demand age' few people seem to have the patience to wait 12 months or so for a hand-made instrument made by craftsman.

Stuff those people 😅

One of the reasons I applaud the decision to close is we should be spared a "Why don't Vigier up their game while lowering prices." thread.

They can scream and scream and scream until they're sick ; last guitar means just that 🙂

• Like 3

My brother has one of the last three Shawn Lane Excalibur models on order now. It will be the last natural alder model out of the shop before they close. He had a heads up from a Vigier dealer about the end of the production and was passed details to buy it. I am really looking forward to hearing it as Shawn got the best cleans tones ever committed to record from his natural finish Excalibur models. 

• Like 2

On 27/06/2022 at 17:52, Sparky Mark said:

They stopped taking orders in March 2022 but don't expect to clear the build queue until the end of 2023. Sounds like a lack of demand isn't an issue in the slightest.

As Chris mentioned, I have a deposit down on the final Shawn Lane signature Excalibur in natural matte alder that will come from their workshop. When I spoke to their customer service guy in France he confirmed that they weren't taking new orders and once the current orders were fulfilled, they were closing down. 

Thankfully, this rather helpful chap was able to point me towards a retailer who had ordered a matte alder Lane model and from there I put a deposit down on it. I am expecting a superb instrument.

I respect Patrice's decision to retire and not continue the brand. It would be a good retirement plan in some respects to let someone else carry on with it, but at the same time I'm sure he can just enjoy a stress-free existence once the company is shuttered.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

I respect Patrice's decision to retire and not continue the brand. It would be a good retirement plan in some respects to let someone else carry on with it, but at the same time I'm sure he can just enjoy a stress-free existence once the company is shuttered.

100% agree, I’m glad I got mine while I could. Whilst sad that there will be no “new” ones it’s great that the brand won’t be diluted by cr4p. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

It would be a good retirement plan in some respects to let someone else carry on with it, but at the same time I'm sure he can just enjoy a stress-free existence once the company is shuttered.

Why would he need a good retirement plan ?

After 40 years in business he'll have a nice wee nest egg put by . 

I don't hold with this idea that brands should continue years after the originators have gone. Finishing up on your own terms and with your reputation untarnished is the way to go 👍

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

I don't hold with this idea that brands should continue years after the originators have gone. Finishing up on your own terms and with your reputation untarnished is the way to go 👍

It’s what Mike Pedulla has done and you have to respect that. Their companies, their reputations, their rules.

• Like 3