Why become a member? ×

Why are tabs always wrong?

SteveXFR

Black Sabbath published bass tab or BS endorsed some enthusiast's publication, or just a pirate publication?

Most internet free tab is worth what you pay for it.

There was a full bass notation for The Man Who Sold The World in a guitar mag 25 years ago. That was very handy. I couldn't tell if it was 'the record' accurate but beat the hell out of learning it off the record.

Any transcription (tabs or dots) is only as good as the person transcribing it and the amount of effort they are prepared to put into it. 

I have seen plenty of tabs that are pretty accurate, but there are too many done by hacks who don't want to put in the time to get it right (or have dumbed it down for a target audience who wouldn't be capable of playing the original part). Either that or done by tone deaf American students / bedroom players who have just downloaded the tablature software but have no ear at all...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Should this be in "General Discussion" BTW?

Why shouldn't it be?

21 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Try as I might I just can't get my head round Tab, so I stick to a mix of sheet music, listening to the somg, and improvising.

Sheet music can be completely wrong as well (and often is). 

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I know, I should just work stuff out myself but sometimes I'm just lazy or want to look up a section I can't quite hear. I can't remember the last time I found a tab that was right. I bought a Black Sabbath tab book and there's a few bits in that which are wrong. 

Same reason that so many play basslines wrong, or not as per the original lines. 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Either that or done by tone deaf American students / bedroom players who have just downloaded the tablature software but have no ear at all...! 

Listen, I indulge in a fair bit of Yank mockery now and again when appropriate, but this just seems petty. What would nationality have to do with it? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Why are Tabs always wrong?

Because the people who write them don't know what they are doing.

This basically.

They're sometimes written by people just starting out. Often it’s a case though that the person that’s written it out plays it wrong - or simply differently.

I find TAB confusing. The few times that I’ve used it to write something out for someone, I’ve got into a mess with it, mainly because I’ve been wanting to put more detail in the notation that it’s possible to put, and it still be legible.

I'm pretty sure that people cut and paste tabs from one site and post them on others, that's why you often see the exact same mistakes on multiple sites.

Once an incorrect tab goes online it's only a matter of time before it's on all the tab sites.

• Like 3

In terms of why they aren't always accurate I think it's all been said but though they can be an interesting reference as to what someone else played ...well - I don't really care about recreating how somebody else did it and I refer you to my favourite 'Douglas Bader ' coaster.

IMG_20220301_075044_601~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I'm pretty sure that people cut and paste tabs from one site and post them on others, that's why you often see the exact same mistakes on multiple sites.

Once an incorrect tab goes online it's only a matter of time before it's on all the tab sites.

I get the feeling that some tab sites 'harvest' tabs from other sites or are more like a portal. Doesn't help with quality control!

• Like 2

I asked this after looking up a tab for Thunderkiss 65 because I was having difficulty working out the bass behind the guitar solo, there was something a bit funky going on. First tab I found showed straight eigth root notes, second tab showed it the same as the chorus riff which it clearly isn't, third tab was close but definitely simplified quite a bit.

Even on websites where you have to pay they're rarely correct. 

The Sabbath book I've got which has errors is by Hal Leonard

8 hours ago, ZilchWoolham said:

Listen, I indulge in a fair bit of Yank mockery now and again when appropriate, but this just seems petty. What would nationality have to do with it? 

I was just stating that many of the worse tabs that I have seen, appear to have come from American college kids who are probably more interested in trying out the software than getting the transcription right. America is a big country and a lot of stuff like this comes from there, both the best and the worse. The best tabs I have seen tend to be American as well. 

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Indeed it often is, but unlike tab I can at least read the damn stuff! 🤣

But that is because you can read notation. Not everybody can. 

Edited by peteb

7 hours ago, ambient said:

This basically.

They're sometimes written by people just starting out. Often it’s a case though that the person that’s written it out plays it wrong - or simply differently.

I find TAB confusing. The few times that I’ve used it to write something out for someone, I’ve got into a mess with it, mainly because I’ve been wanting to put more detail in the notation that it’s possible to put, and it still be legible.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that tab has the same professional applications of notation and it has obvious limitations. 

However, it does have some uses, mainly showing you how to play a piece that you are already familiar with. For example, I can play a recognisable version of 'Portrait of Tracy' because of a very accurate tab that I found. There is no way that someone with my limited reading ability could have done that from notation and I had been trying to work it out for years by ear, but never getting it quite right. Tab can have its uses, but it depends on the quality of the transcription and what you are using it for. 

• Like 3

I'll refer to them if I'm pushed for time (for instance, our BL has just disseminated a list of 21 new songs he wants to debut in three week's time; we may or may not get a rehearsal in before then), and tend to approach them on the basis of a quick start guide, rather than anything definitive. Sometimes aggregating the results from a couple can get nearer the desired result.

I've also come across some which are bang on. They're not all perfect by any means, but as a resource, they're not bad at all...

• Like 1