Why become a member? ×

Ibanez EHB 1005 SMS Emerald Green - Headless 5 String 30 - 32" Short Multi Scale Bass - With Aguilar DCB-D4 - PRICE DROP - *SOLD*
£875
Maidstone, Kent

Marvin_

Ibanez EHB (Electric Headless Bass) 1005 (5 string) SMS (Short Multi Scale) in Emerald metallic green. Condition is generally excellent, with a small knock to the 'head' and a couple of scratches from cutting strings. Currently strung with a set of Rotosound flats which have a great tension at standard tuning. I've replaced the plastic control knobs with some Thomann black/gold metal ones, but the plastic ones are included. The standard gig bag and Schaller S-Lock strap locks are also included. Currently fitted with a set of Aguilar DCB (dual ceramic bar humbuckers) wired into the standard Ibanez preamp with the +6dB boost.

The price (£850) includes the Aguilar DCBs, but I'm happy to reinstall the standard Bartolini BH2s (included) and keep the DCBs (£725). I'm also happy to change it back to standard preamp levels which means the active/passive volume levels match.

See my initial review here for more details: basschat.co.uk

I'd rather arrange collection (Maidstone, Kent) or meetup (am happy to drive a reasonable distance) - always easier I think, but I do still have the original box so delivery wouldn't be impossible.

Pictures are always nicer than my dry writing - see the metallic sparkle in the lovely sun!

IMG20220227124941.thumb.jpg.2d4a4b417220f29ef67c058e6bc0331d.jpg

IMG20220227125126.thumb.jpg.5eccb09a166c63ffff1187de78eb9868.jpg

IMG20220227124959.thumb.jpg.816930b03d136aa340104b74c8ec190a.jpg

IMG20220227125029.thumb.jpg.a3a3073a70d9ed455fdcfa66500e7bc3.jpg

IMG20220227125215.thumb.jpg.50f60940ae2ec62860c2d38c87fa508d.jpg

IMG20220227125259.thumb.jpg.779e92ff3b453effaa3ed6bc90000bfc.jpg

IMG20220227125039.thumb.jpg.6ed3f420bc959fa8cf8039f826f8dd94.jpg

IMG20220227125340.thumb.jpg.b9679271b7e17b7708865c95ecbc058c.jpg

IMG20220227125433.thumb.jpg.82905cb87ea1b5d140380bdf47dc4a2e.jpg

IMG20220227125009.jpg

Edited by Marvin_
Sold elsewhere
  • Like 11

GLWTS. That’s a good price with the Aguilars on it and the decent metal knobs.

I am still persevering with the 4 string SS version. It’s great for those of us with joint and back issues, so light and comfortable to play. I am sure that applies to the 5 string too.

6 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

GLWTS. That’s a good price with the Aguilars on it and the decent metal knobs.

I am still persevering with the 4 string SS version. It’s great for those of us with joint and back issues, so light and comfortable to play. I am sure that applies to the 5 string too.

I'm considering something from the EHB range and wondered what the SS version was like, are you happy with it?

5 hours ago, Davy said:

I'm considering something from the EHB range and wondered what the SS version was like, are you happy with it?

Yes, I am happy with it but I have changed the original Bartolini pickups for Aguilar equivalents, which sound a lot better. I didn’t appreciate the difference they made originally but they have grown on me.  TBH, I am not a great fan of humbuckers on basses, so I probably should have gone for the splits. Too late now and I don’t want to throw another £200 + at it. In fact, I have been considering selling it for that very reason and I will miss the light weight, ergonomic design and excellent balance on a strap.

You do get a lot of features for your money with the EHB 1000S. It has a lovely birdseye maple fretboard and graphite reinforcement rods in the neck, which explains why they can make it so shallow. The contoured and chambered body is super light and comfortable. The headless design means that you can use standard length strings and cut them to length after clamping, which increases choice and keeps cost down compared to purpose wound short scale strings. It also provides very stable tuning. It has a three band active eq, plus passive operation. It comes with a decent gig bag, Schaller locking strap buttons, a locking jack socket and even a detachable finger ramp. For some reason they put horrible cheap plastic knobs on it but those are easily replaced with decent metal knobs for around £20.

The neck is quite wide for a shortie (42mm) at the nut and that continues up in proportion, so I would imagine that somebody more used to full scale P Bass type necks would not have too much problem adjusting to it but it is fairly shallow, so it works for smaller hands too (that’s me, plus I have arthritis in the left thumb). Bridge spacing is a familiar 19mm too but you can adjust it a bit. The beauty of blade pickups means you don’t have to worry about pole alignment  if you do bring the spacing in a bit.

All in all, I think it is a great bass, especially if you like the modern humbucker sound.

I hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all!

On 02/03/2022 at 22:58, Davy said:

Would there be any reduction in the price if the original Bartolinis were re-fitted?

There would, of course, be a reduction in the price if supplied sans Aguilars. Obviously it's easier for me to sell as a package, but I'd reduce to £740 if taking the Bartolinis only.

I think it might be on the thinner side, perhaps accentuated by the shallow profile (sort of |) shape, rather than a more pronounced c or D shape), but it's quite a wide neck in any case (as Obrienp says about the four), and of course it's a five string too, so the profile keeps it manageable. I'll get some actual measurements in the morning.

On 09/03/2021 at 16:58, Marvin_ said:

At the 12th fret the neck is 64mm so it is pretty wide. Thickness is only 22mm though at the 12th fret (from the back of the neck to the surface of the fretboard).

As it happens, I measured a year ago!

13 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Yes, I am happy with it but I have changed the original Bartolini pickups for Aguilar equivalents, which sound a lot better. I didn’t appreciate the difference they made originally but they have grown on me.  TBH, I am not a great fan of humbuckers on basses, so I probably should have gone for the splits. Too late now and I don’t want to throw another £200 + at it. In fact, I have been considering selling it for that very reason and I will miss the light weight, ergonomic design and excellent balance on a strap.

You do get a lot of features for your money with the EHB 1000S. It has a lovely birdseye maple fretboard and graphite reinforcement rods in the neck, which explains why they can make it so shallow. The contoured and chambered body is super light and comfortable. The headless design means that you can use standard length strings and cut them to length after clamping, which increases choice and keeps cost down compared to purpose wound short scale strings. It also provides very stable tuning. It has a three band active eq, plus passive operation. It comes with a decent gig bag, Schaller locking strap buttons, a locking jack socket and even a detachable finger ramp. For some reason they put horrible cheap plastic knobs on it but those are easily replaced with decent metal knobs for around £20.

The neck is quite wide for a shortie (42mm) at the nut and that continues up in proportion, so I would imagine that somebody more used to full scale P Bass type necks would not have too much problem adjusting to it but it is fairly shallow, so it works for smaller hands too (that’s me, plus I have arthritis in the left thumb). Bridge spacing is a familiar 19mm too but you can adjust it a bit. The beauty of blade pickups means you don’t have to worry about pole alignment  if you do bring the spacing in a bit.

All in all, I think it is a great bass, especially if you like the modern humbucker sound.

I hope that helps!

It's does, thanks and apologies to Marvin for hijacking your thread.

• Like 1

I have one of these and love it.

If you play short scales for comfort/hand issue reasons, but need a 5 string, this is the way to go IMO.

String tension is very balanced across the fretboard, and it keeps that short scale playability, without sacrificing too much on the low b.

I've thought about upgrading the pickups to Aguilars as you've done, and think it would definitely improve, but I also find the pre-amp is plenty good enough to make up for the slightly dark Bartolinis. Think it's more of a personal preference thing rather than an a virtual necessity, as some of the youtube reviewers suggest.

I dig that it looks so modern, but kind of sounds more like a thunderbird than a dingwall, with the barts.

GLWTS!

Edited by Vin Venal
  • Like 2

• Marvin_ changed the title to Ibanez EHB 1005 SMS Emerald Green - Headless 5 String 30 - 32" Short Multi Scale Bass - With Aguilar DCB-D4 - PRICE DROP
  • Marvin_ changed the title to SOLD: Ibanez EHB 1005 SMS Emerald Green - Headless 5 String 30 - 32" Short Multi Scale Bass - With Aguilar DCB-D4