Why become a member? ×

Dual Distortion - What would you recommend?

Nothingman

Yo, 

I am just in the middle of recording with a new band (alt rock 90's influenced quiet/loud/quiet stuff) . During the mix we are re-amping my bass with a mix of clean (P- bass via Sans amp) and using the clean sound on some really mellow tracks. Then when we go to mid level dad rock, but a bit of grit in there. Then on the big anthemic choruses going heavy of the distortion. 

So, I am looking for a way to replicate this live. 

I am am simple man, so don't like a lot of clutter. But would like to invest in a quality unit to give me some different options. In years gone by I have used a variety of OD and Distortion pedals. 

But dual distortion option has got my interest. Done a little research and seen the Fender Trapper Bass, this looks OK. 

Anyone got any experience of dual distortions they can share or any recommendations of what to look at? 

Cheers

Will 

Edited by Nothingman

• Nothingman changed the title to Dual Distortion - What would you recommend?

Jam Pedals have a couple of pedals with low and high gain switches. 2 of these and you'd have 4 gain stages!

LucyDreamer: low gain overdrive

Rattler: high gain distortion

Red Muck: muff-style fuzz/distortion

JHS also have a couple of pedals that combine pairs of their overdrives. You can switch the order as well for more tones.

Double Barrel: a transparent overdrive into a mid-bumped overdrive (transparent side also has a high/low gain switch you can operate with a footswitch)

Sweet Tea: a mid-bumped drive into a Marshall-style overdrive

• Like 2

If the Sansamp drive works for you at various knob positions you could simply get a Deluxe BDDI. That would give you 3 channels plus bypass.

So a clean Sansamp or clean-ish, and two more levels of O/D/ volume boosts on the three channels, and the bypass totally clean and lower level for intro's.

I did the quiet/loud/ quiet thing with more pedals and funky jazz. The core was the BDDI Deluxe.

• Like 3

B9669946-8504-450E-ABB6-784142F4FF59.thumb.png.f01fdbb664665ad04c6002994707b014.pngEEF8F63A-090B-42F5-8F8D-12E98E441B55.thumb.jpeg.1a5884cc3cdacd8af18c6e46ee796234.jpegI use the Trapper and currently have it set up for lower gain tones. Mine is currently set as pictured. I found pushing the level and lowering the gain seems to keep the low end on both sides and as you’ll know Dist2 has the clean level and x-over too so you can bump the gain and keep the bottom end present.

I don’t have much need for both drives on together so don’t have the pedal set up to maximise that ‘both on’ sound.  I do like the lower to mid gain sounds and the current settings work well for me. The Trapper does have some of that amp style drive and it sounds great. I could probably push Dist2 to be more driven and keep the lows and full and intact with the added controls but it works well for my needs as is. 

I’d recommend trying one and I found these setting work well finger style and come to life a bit more with a pick. The both on sound might mean a compromise on one or other Dist settings but there is scope for tweaking and it’ll depend on how you want to use it I.e off/low gain/fury or off/drive/chaos you could pretty quickly set it up. I found it stacks well well with my amp’s built in drive too.

I should mention mine is after an eq/preamp pedal so it’ll be adding to the sound so YMMV in terms of how it sounds with your signal

chain. It’s definitely worth a try and can get dirty. For me it’s a great low - mid gain sound and I’d happily leave it on all night especially running a cleaner sound to the pa and having the amp grumble away on stage behind me. 

The Empire Music demo on YT is a good representation of how the pedal sounds. 

Edited by krispn
  • Thanks 1

So much to go at here. 

Think it’ll come down to budget (don’t want to go silly)

I’m going to search the marketplace and see what I can get. 

Certainly the Fender et al. are very keenly priced for my needs. 

Thanks one and all. 

9 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Simple but effective is the Tech21 SH1 pedal. One eq for both channels - each channel has its own gain and level control. Plenty of great demos by Tom Starace on the Tech21 YouTube channel.

No DI on that one.

More on the BDDI Deluxe: Three saving channels that can be pre programmed for fx loop in or out, drive, eq, blend and output. Plus bypass mode.

Changes made on the fly revert to the saved settings unless saved over the top.

Nobrainer to me when the BDDI was used on the recording.

3 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

There is a DI on the SH1, on the left hand side. The pedal

is barely the height of the XLR socket but it’s there. Also has a tuner, making it an all in one solution, IMO.

I stand corrected. There was one for sale that I toyed with buying but they didn't mention the DI or photograph that side! Plenty of sounds in it.

Are the knobs on pots or the electronic memory position adjusters like BDDI Deluxe?

• Like 1

On 26/02/2022 at 20:10, bassist_lewis said:

Jam Pedals have a couple of pedals with low and high gain switches. 2 of these and you'd have 4 gain stages!

LucyDreamer: low gain overdrive

Rattler: high gain distortion

Red Muck: muff-style fuzz/distortion

JHS also have a couple of pedals that combine pairs of their overdrives. You can switch the order as well for more tones.

Double Barrel: a transparent overdrive into a mid-bumped overdrive (transparent side also has a high/low gain switch you can operate with a footswitch)

Sweet Tea: a mid-bumped drive into a Marshall-style overdrive

I have the LucyDreamer.  The lower gain I leave on a mild valve-like break up, which sounds lovely with a P-bass.  The higher gain setting then ends up as a distortion setting, it is like having 2 pedals in one.  If you open up the back you can adjust the difference in gain between the two; I haven't bothered as the factory setting suits my needs.

I am a Jam pedals fan boy.

IMG_0305.jpeg

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I have the LucyDreamer.  The lower gain I leave on a mild valve-like break up, which sounds lovely with a P-bass.  The higher gain setting then ends up as a distortion setting, it is like having 2 pedals in one.  If you open up the back you can adjust the difference in gain between the two; I haven't bothered as the factory setting suits my needs.

I am a Jam pedals fan boy.

IMG_0305.jpeg

100% same. Mine turned up yesterday and I love the lower gain setting, it breaks up in just the right way. The higher gain setting works for me (also haven't changed the settings). I've tried it with a Mustang and my Acinonyx and it works great with both, it really lets the tone come through. Would recommend.

• Like 1