Why become a member? ×

Template for EMG 40DCX

Silky999

Does anyone know where I can get a routing template for an EMG 40 sized pickup in the UK?

The only ones I can find are in the US and are silly prices to ship a piece of acrylic or wood. I did think about whether I could make my own but would prefer a laser cut accurate one if possible. 

I want to change the pickups in my Ibanez prestige and they are custom sized Bartolinis and apart from having some more custom made, routing out slightly to an M4/EMG 40 size appears to be an alternative option. The length of the cavity is fine, just the width is a few mm too narrow.

I made a template for some EMG TBCS pickups using 2 inch wide stripes of 19mm MDF. I used the correct size router bit to get the corner radius I needed. I got the MDF from eBay, it was a set of cut lengths from the craft section. I arranged the pieces around the pickup with a credit card along one long and one short side to give clearance in the routed cavity. I can't find any pics but this should explain how it is adjustable before glueing. Obviously the edges and corners need to be square.20220226_131351.thumb.jpg.b8a3ed53cff36aac613404927d4a86b9.jpg

So I have bought a pack of 4 x 15cm metal rulers from Amazon which I am going to use the way Verb described above but tape them to the body. 

I’m then undecided whether to use a very sharp chisel or teardrop burr with a Dremel to extend the width by 5mm as I don’t have/feel confident to use a router. 

On 02/03/2022 at 14:06, Silky999 said:

I’m then undecided whether to use a very sharp chisel or teardrop burr with a Dremel to extend the width by 5mm as I don’t have/feel confident to use a router. 

I'd never used a router before I decided to install bigger pickups. I purchased a Vonhaus palm router, made the template, did a couple of practice routes in some 4x2 and then attacked my Warwick. Take it slow and respect that blade spinning at 20,000 rpm 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, verb said:

I'd never used a router before I decided to install bigger pickups. I purchased a Vonhaus palm router, made the template, did a couple of practice routes in some 4x2 and then attacked my Warwick. Take it slow and respect that blade spinning at 20,000 rpm 

Practice runs in scrap timer are an excellent idea😊

• Like 1