Why become a member? ×

A Fender fit wenge neck in the UK ??

i.clarke

Given that the great majority of P style basses have maple necks, I think it likely your choice will be limited. If Google, etc doesn't turn anything up, Warmoth may be your best, even only option. Wenge is a dense and heavy wood, so neck dive might be an issue on a lighter P body, unless you have one of those 70s instruments that weigh half a ton.

You might struggle to get an aftermarket ready-built neck made of wenge, Its heavy and IIRC really nasty to work with, both on tools and for the people building (the splinters are septic as I recall). your best bet might be to commission someone such as Jon Shuker to build you a replacement neck, I believe he's done this for a few members here :)

Ben

• Like 1

20211222_232506.thumb.jpg.f7768fe55e7211fe9d83aacf6cfaba6d.jpg

Wenge makes a great neck, not necessarily in the spirit of a classic P bass though! But that's not the point and would definitely make for something interesting. I was looking at the Warmoth site and there's certainly some interesting options but... I was in a similar position recently as there was something very specific I wanted neck wise, but fortunately I have a local luthier who is very good. Advantage to that over Warmoth is you can talk over every bit of what you want. See if there's someone local-ish who can give you that personal service.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys :) luckily I'm not too far from Doug WIlkes who has done a few bits and bobs for me in the past so i'll probably consult with him on the matter. I would never have come to this only I played a 5 string warwick belonging to a friend the other night and whilst I hated the bass i loved the earthyness of the neck.. It just felt great. Warmoth is a viable option although By the time you factor in postage / customs etc it would probably have been cheaper to 'keep it local'... I saw a gorgeous P for sale the other night made by schecter in the late 70's that had a koa body and a wenge neck ... would be great to find something like that if poss :)

• Like 1