Why become a member? ×

Covering leads in PET woven sleeve

Woodwind

One for those that make their own cables.

I'm looking at adding a bit of Visual identity to some cables ahead of a photo/video shoot.

I make all my own cables and I'm quite tempted to add an external layer to them to give them a slight vintage vibe.

This sort of stuff -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-8mm-12mm-PET-PP-Cotton-Yarn-Mixed-Braided-Woven-Cable-Wire-Guards-Sleeving-/263958276725?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I know it may be a bit passé now as you couldn't move for seeing light fittings in cafés strung with the stuff 5 years ago, but I digress.

Has anyone on basschat used this kind of thing?

I would like to buy from a UK based supplier, but I'm not having much luck finding one.

Anyone able to recommend a supplier? 

24 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

One for those that make their own cables.

I'm looking at adding a bit of Visual identity to some cables ahead of a photo/video shoot.

I make all my own cables and I'm quite tempted to add an external layer to them to give them a slight vintage vibe.

This sort of stuff -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-8mm-12mm-PET-PP-Cotton-Yarn-Mixed-Braided-Woven-Cable-Wire-Guards-Sleeving-/263958276725?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I know it may be a bit passé now as you couldn't move for seeing light fittings in cafés strung with the stuff 5 years ago, but I digress.

Has anyone on basschat used this kind of thing?

I would like to buy from a UK based supplier, but I'm not having much luck finding one.

Anyone able to recommend a supplier? 

f it's just for appearance, Stagg sell braided cables that are actually reasonable quality for not many £££. I have a couple for when I want a vintage vibe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

f it's just for appearance, Stagg sell braided cables that are actually reasonable quality for not many £££. I have a couple for when I want a vintage vibe.

Yeah it's just for appearance really.

I didn't know stagg sold covered cables, thank you for the heads up.

Ideally I'd rather not buy yet more microphone cables though 😀

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

How the heck do you get the braid over your cable????

On the stuff I’ve used in the past it gets wider when you push it, so after the first half a metre or so has gone in you can work a ‘bulge’ along from the sleeving end. I wouldn’t want to do it for a several meter cable though!

Does it have to be cotton mix, or that specific sort of retro pattern? If I search eBay for ‘braided sleeving’ and filter on location UK only there’s quite a lot of choice otherwise. 

• Thanks 1