Why become a member? ×

Bass show in Liverpool is all headphone.

ambient

About time too, what an excellent idea. I still won't be going due to geographical (and consequently fiscal) considerations, but it will certainly make the day a lot more bearable for those that do go. Definitely worth taking your own cans though, from a purely health POV.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

About time too, what an excellent idea. I still won't be going due to geographical (and consequently fiscal) considerations, but it will certainly make the day a lot more bearable for those that do go. Definitely worth taking your own cans though, from a purely health POV.

You know, that had crossed my mind, especially with Covid still very much here.

Hmmm, I can try out some new bass cabs... through headphones!

Worth it though just so you don't have have to listen to the cacophony of dozens of weekend 'slap happy' heros pulling out their top 10 greatest chops.

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Hmmm, I can try out some new bass cabs... through headphones!

Worth it though just so you don't have have to listen to the cacophony of dozens of weekend slap happy heros pulling out their top 10 greatest chops.

I should guess they’ll have amps etc set up in a separate room.

2 hours ago, NickD said:

It's in the next room to the Drum Show, I'd still take earplugs!🤣

Now the drum show is loud. Was at one of the shows in the Olympic with my daughter, went to one of the masterclass events, it was friggin loud! We were standing just in front of the desk when we heard a crash behind us and my daughter felt something brush her back. Turned around and there was a ceiling tile with a rather large transformer attached (for the lighting?) buried in the desk! The desk was one of those with just a large screen and was totalled but still working. An inch the other way would have had a different outcome.  

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Now the drum show is loud. Was at one of the shows in the Olympic with my daughter, went to one of the masterclass events, it was friggin loud! We were standing just in front of the desk when we heard a crash behind us and my daughter felt something brush her back. Turned around and there was a ceiling tile with a rather large transformer attached (for the lighting?) buried in the desk! The desk was one of those with just a large screen and was totalled but still working. An inch the other way would have had a different outcome.  

She’s extremely lucky!

I’ve only ever been to one music show, that was at the NEC when I was about 15 or 16. The noise drove me mad - that was mostly drummers whacking and banging away. 

Some of the stands then had headphones available for people to play quietly, problem was that everything was just so noisy, you couldn’t hear yourself through the phones.

6 minutes ago, ambient said:

She’s extremely lucky!

I’ve only ever been to one music show, that was at the NEC when I was about 15 or 16. The noise drove me mad - that was mostly drummers whacking and banging away. 

Some of the stands then had headphones available for people to play quietly, problem was that everything was just so noisy, you couldn’t hear yourself through the phones.

Yep, other than that incident it was a great show if a little noisy.

The best bit about these shows is not the gear but the masterclasses they lay on, which are worth the entry fee alone.

I went to a bass show at Olympia many years ago. Every few minutes a klaxon would sound to quell the slap bass cacophony. It would then build up until the klaxon sounded again. Although the noise didn't really bother me, I was annoyed by the "access bedroom area only" players who thought they were impressing everyone else with their non melodic 150+ bpm machine gun slapping. I've never had the desire go to another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

I'm going as it's an easy drive for me (<50 miles) and I know Liverpool.

I’ve only been once, that was only for an hour following a trip to see Gormley’s iron figures at Crosby beach. I’ll probably stay for the weekend and have a look around the city.

On 26/02/2022 at 10:32, ambient said:

I’ve only been once, that was only for an hour following a trip to see Gormley’s iron figures at Crosby beach. I’ll probably stay for the weekend and have a look around the city.

You should! Loads to see. Lots of heritage sites, all the main museums are free to visit, tons of good food places, lovely architecture. Obviously there's all the Beatles stuff if you're that way inclined, but plenty to enjoy even if you're not. 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2022 at 09:49, Sparky Mark said:

I went to a bass show at Olympia many years ago. Every few minutes a klaxon would sound to quell the slap bass cacophony. It would then build up until the klaxon sounded again. Although the noise didn't really bother me, I was annoyed by the "access bedroom area only" players who thought they were impressing everyone else with their non melodic 150+ bpm machine gun slapping. I've never had the desire go to another.

I remember the klaxon event, I'm not sure what was more of a noise, the klaxon or the slap happys!