Why become a member? ×

AG700 vs Mesa D800+

IvanBass456

Hello guys,

I'm on the fence between both these two amps to pair up with my 2 Barefaced cabs, Super Midget and BB2.
I have the opportunity to get the Aguilar AG700 at a very fair price here in my neighborhood in Brussels.

To be honest, what keeps me away from pulling the trigger right now for the Aggie is the fact that it hasn't a HPF (high pass filter) control embedded. 
I haven't got any HPF pedal at this stage, so I would have to spend (a lot of) extra money for one, as they are not to find in Europe, strangely.

I notice that as I now expand my pedal rig, having a C4 synth, an Aguilar Octamizer, an Mxr m82 envelope filter, an EBS blue label comp (being very forgiving with lows and not compressing them a lot), the lows in my bass signal tend to be massive, uncontrolled and muddy up things at a certain point.

So to take full advantage of the AG700 (and its deep switch) an HPF pedal in addition would be a must. 

Which took me to consider the Mesa D800+. 
I like the softness of the Aggie ag700, which I tried. And I never tried the Mesa D800 series unfortunately. I thought that an Aggie AG700 would be more versatile and complementary with the BF cabs, being softer and warmer sounding, am I wrong on that ? 
From what I heard in demo's the D800+ sounds hotter, more aggressive, while being clean... very open in fact. Which is something the BF cabs do already, sounding open.

So that's why my current preference seems to go the Aggie, but having never tried the Mesa D800+ it is hard tell how much I would like it.
I have got a TH700 for a short time, I liked many things about it, but didn't like the drive (not as warm sounding as I heard in threads) and it didn't go high enough in frequencies. Having played a Markbass amp for a while, I'm used to have the +6000hz sparkling treble, ideal for slapping and very pleasing when practicing at lower volumes.

What amp would you suggest? Have you guys managed to try and compare both amps ?

Thank you for enlightening this topic 🙏

Amen

That's not to say that I don't like the Mesa D800+ tone; the video made by the guys at Anderton's about the D800 heads just amazed me! It is just that IMO at this stage the AG700 would "tame up" and "soften" a bit more the openness, clarity and mid-punch of the Barefaced cabs. If I want that kind of Hot and clear sound, which I like for Rock Music, I would probably manage to emulate through the Aggie AG700 with a bass having a hot signal or aggressive pickups. Whereas it would be tough for the Mesa D800+ to bring me in soft soul tones territory like the AG700 would naturally do. And I currently have a cover band playing many Soul standards...

Edited by IvanBass456

I agree with your summary of the differences in sound. I have an AG700 and a pal has a D800. We compared them through the same cabs (PJB). The Aggy is warmer (but not soft or unfocused). The Mesa is more aggressive. We both preferred the AG700 through my cabs, but he uses an older Epifani and likes the Mesa with it. They both use the same IcePower power amp module, so the difference must be in the designers' preamp choices. Interestingly, his has just gone pop (they are about the same age). I'd definitely try before you buy with your cab, if possible.

• Thanks 1

I've just got back from gigging my Aguilar AG700 and Barefaced SM and BB2 cabs in a very loud blues rock trio.

So far the AG700 has seen off an 800 watt Thunderfunk, a Subway D800, a Quilter BB800 and a Bergantino Forte HP. These are all fantastic amps but after real life comparisons on gigs, I decided I preferred the sound of the AG700. I play an active 5 string Jazz bass and my Barefaced cabs are just ticking over. So far I haven't felt the need for an HPF.

I also own a TH500. Aguilar just make amps that sound the best to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merton said:

I think you’ve answered your own question, you like the AG700 so go with that. The SFX Micro Thumpinator appears on here every now and then, it’s small enough and cheap enough to make shipping into the EU from the UK relatively easy :)

Beat me to it. You’ve already got a pedal board so you might as well add the SFX at the very front of your chain as that’s absolutely the best HPF solution you can get.

• Like 1

I run a bb2 and/or a super midget with a Mesa 800+ or Bergantino Forte hp. I find with a passive jazz or precision both cabs benefit from the treble boost on the 800+ but the forte hp gets most use in a gig situation. Both are great heads, very much a case of which one your ears and style prefer. I have no experience of the AG 700 but do own an Aguilar DB751 which rocks over everything when I feel like carrying a lead sled to a gig.

• Like 1

or one of these:

Rafferty HPF Pre 2 Bass Preamp / Adjustable High Pass Filter / Phase Switch Custom Color | Rafferty Guitar Pedals | Reverb

I haven't used one so can't vouch for it, but it is cheaper than the other two listed here.

• Like 1

Wow thank you guys for feeding this thread with useful insights! I pulled the trigger for the Aggie AG700 @600 pounds (730 euros) including the Aggie gigbag.

I guess I'll have the chance to try out a Mesa D800 series or a Berg in a short future. But for the time being I think I will be delighted with the Aggie AG700 through the BF SM, BB2 (and maybe the 210 retro for soon).

I was about to pull the trigger for the SFX thumpinator, a used one on Reverb. But It sounds like I first will investigated the options you shared, and more specifically the Vong Filterung (from Germany I guess) :) 

Be blessed fellow bassists ! 🙏

I give a vote to the Vong - I use it as an 'always on' pedal and I think it is terrific, it really cleans up the sound at the bottom end and the lpf allows you to 'squash' down the top end of the sound, and it gives you a volume boost facility as well as a di.

Bare in mind it is a kit...

• Thanks 1

On 01/03/2022 at 02:35, NHM said:

I give a vote to the Vong - I use it as an 'always on' pedal and I think it is terrific, it really cleans up the sound at the bottom end and the lpf allows you to 'squash' down the top end of the sound, and it gives you a volume boost facility as well as a di.

Bare in mind it is a kit...

I'm about to order one and let it mount/solder by my tech/luthier... 

I've seen a thumpinator at 130 euros on Reverb, but I find it rather expensive for a used piece of gear that only cuts the lows below 30hz without any filter adjustment. 

Anyway I should be happy with either hpf 🙂  the important thing was to get this only feature I was missing with the AG700 vs the Mesa amps.

My AG700 should arrive tomorrow, can't wait 😜

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/03/2022 at 08:51, NHM said:

Will you let us know how you find the Vong?

Sure. I've ordered it in early March, around the 10th, it is now waiting for a proper mounting by my luthier/tech in Brussels. He should take care of it in the course of this week.

I let you know how it behaves and how far it is a nice addition (or not) to the AG700 :)

TBH, I already found out that the AG700 does handle the bass freq much better than my Markbass. The low spectrum on the AG700 is less deep than on my Markbass LMTube (this is something to consider if enjoy playing RnB or Reggea), and thus consequently more tight and focus. So, while a HPF seems a great addition to a Markbass amp, I'm not yet sure it will be that necessary for an Aggie amp. Real-time testing will tell ^^

The Vong will probably come just after my Aggie octaver before the distorsion pedals, anyway. So just for that, it should be useful at some point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2022 at 08:51, NHM said:

Will you let us know how you find the Vong?

Hi mate,
I have been using the Vong Filterung for 3 weeks now. And it is great.
It doesn't colour your tone at all, and it has many features (understand that it really is transparent like a true bypass pedal! You won't notice any difference in tone with or without the pedal).

It will serve as a boost, as a HPF and as a LPF. There is a constant -12db at <30hz + an adjustable -12db from 30hz to 150hz. The LPF is an adjustable -12 or -24db @ adjustable frequency (22khz until your mid frequencies, I can't tell exactly what frequency).

I'm using it early in my signal chain in order to clean things up early in the chain. And surprisingly I find myself taking more advantage of the LPF; it will avoid those undesirable peaks in the highs and act as an efficient noise canceler! It will cut your highs and favour your high mids, if you crank it up to the mids, making your modern active bass sounding like a vintage instrument :)

This Vong Filterung is no joke!

Hi

I'm just home from a morning rehearsal where the Vong just did its stuff without complaint or adjustment, just helping me get a great sound for classic rock covers, whilst taking an unwanted load off the amp and speakers.

• Like 1

Hold on. . . . an HPF isn't a prerequisite for a good bass sound, or even a good bass amp.

There have been bass players using classic rigs and sounding great for the last 70 years and HPF's have only become a "thing" in the last 2 or 3.

Choose the amp that sounds right.

• Like 1

Very good point Chris, I’m not an overly techie person but I think that bass amps nowadays are voiced maybe  a bit too low. I really noticed a difference when I recently switched from 40hz to 80hz on my Sansamp, much clearer and the bass seemed more “there” but less flub/boom. Maybe the older amps/speakers were voiced better, or perhaps the speakers couldn’t handle the real lows like they can nowadays?

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

Choose the amp that sounds right

Mesa had a long survey and think and found a rich vein of sales in the improved 800+. They charge a pretty penny for it too. One would hope they weren't all about fashion when they did it.

In my case my HPF lives on my board. Very handy for showing up to unknown backline provided gigs and instantly having the best 5 string tones available instead of what I can cobble up from the EQ.

13 hours ago, chris_b said:

Hold on. . . . an HPF isn't a prerequisite for a good bass sound, or even a good bass amp.

There have been bass players using classic rigs and sounding great for the last 70 years and HPF's have only become a "thing" in the last 2 or 3.

Choose the amp that sounds right.

Yes, but a lot of bass player tonal expectations have changed as well as a need for more low frequency extension without sacrificing articulation. Of course HPF's have been used on bass channels in the studio and in live sound for decades, so IMO it's not a fad but an evolution in response to evolution.

• Like 3