Why become a member? ×

No Bass respect..

Mickyk

40 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I saw that photo on an article that led with a quote along the lines of "when I got new basses I didn't respect them, I'd attack them with a hammer" or something similar.aybe that's what the op is referring to? 

That the one buddy,his quote was...

"I'd chucked my basses around before and didn't have any respect for them in the first place. The moment I got a new bass I'd get a hammer and start bashing it around." - Paul Simonon.

i saw the clash back in Derby(Kings Hall) in 1978 , i stood about 20 feet away from Paul,and everyone thought ,whats going on with Pauls bass it looks totally wrecked,and remember this was before Road Worn came into fashion,having delved into Pauls early bass exploits ,i now understand why.The lad was a great Player though,even if he had no respects for his instruments.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Yes he is. 

I'd say he was the best punk bassist of the time. 

I concur totally ,he was something else,nothing fancy ,just got his head down and played the damn thing,one of the reasons i took up the Bass Guitar all those years ago.

• Like 2

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Beg to differ...

DSpT0JtX0AEwmWR.jpg

JJ was definitely better later on but in the late 70 and early 80's I'd say Simonon was better. Not that it really matters.

The bass tone on Peaches was absolute filth though and it was one of those simple but absolutely brilliant bass lines.