Why become a member? ×

Frequency test

andy67

21 minutes ago, Rumple said:

Using basic headphones:

In 20hz out 11khz

Not sure what that mean apart from I'm getting on a bit and also need some new earbuds :D

On my iPhone, I was in at 21kz and out at 12.5khz, iMac was in at 24hz and out at 14.5khz. I guess the mediums used to test can throw up different results.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I would have thought that the compression algorithms used by YouTube would have rendered this test useless.

Among other things. Without calibration this is like throwing food at a wall to judge the flavour.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

My top end is dropping rapidly, or should that be drooping, like everything else

Tell me about it. My late missus could still hear bats when she was in her 60s. I could up to about the age of 40, but not after that. I love getting old, although I suppose it's better than the alternative.

• Like 1

It's a fact that certain frequencies can only be heard by younger people, say under eighteen. Some councils have introduced high pitched noise to stop teenagers loitering. Anyone over twenty can't hear it. It's called presbycusis.

• Like 1

Interesting...

Some Apps are designed to show how good ya headphones etc are, others how good ya hearing is... cant always check one without the other.

Sometime back when i got the Sennies HD206, things were sounding different, more soundstaged over my Sony ZX310, which are a great Folding Flat Headphone for taking out and partnering with my main Music device, a little Sony Thumb Drive MP3 Player.

After some checks i thought the Semnhiesers were faulty, or a copy.

There arrival coincided with a big drop in freq response in my left ear. Been to Docs and had a hearing test, been refered to ENT, had my Feb appt postponed, now due in March...

Perhaps lots of loud music in my youth, or wind roar from motorcycles, i now wear ear plugs and have mild-ish tinnitus and hearing a low freq 'boomers' that used to be thought caused by gas pipe propergation. I wear ear plugs to sleep, that kind of reduces tge Sea Shell effect.

Fingers crossed a remedy can bd found at the ENT appt. I'm 53.

• Like 1

The great thing about losing your top end hearing is that you can download the 'teen tormentor' app and have loads of fun where ever there's a gaggle of them hanging about. My favourite sport on business trips when hanging about airports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If even YT transmits 30hz your headphones won't do anything audible there but distort as you turn up. The distortion is audible, but it's at 60 and 120hz.

You can do this with your '30 hz response' bass cabinets, but don't break them! If you send a 60hz sine that is only just audible, then send same voltage at 30hz you won't hear diddly squat. Bumping up the voltage until it becomes audible you will jump out of your skin if you you send 60hz at same voltage. It will sound oddly familar once you turn it down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2022 at 18:20, ubit said:

It's a fact that certain frequencies can only be heard by younger people, say under eighteen. Some councils have introduced high pitched noise to stop teenagers loitering. Anyone over twenty can't hear it. It's called presbycusis.

There's one in my local town centre. It drives me insane, and I'm 46. 

• Haha 1