Why become a member? ×

HPF/LPF - Clean low end bump- and other ideas . .

Stofferson

Hi all.

I've been very trigger happy with pedals lately and recently taken in a KMA Tyler Deluxe.

Just waiting on a new pedal board to arrive but did some tests at the weekend and can confirm, it is awesome.

So, hive mind, All my dirt pedals will be going via the HPF loop, leaving the clean low end in the LPF loop.

Aside from a compressor, (which I have on the way) what is the best way to tighten up / boost that clean low end.

The Kma, has sweepable frequencies for both to find the sweet spot for the splits, a Mix between the two, over all level and over all clean blend, but stick a knarly fuzz on and it sings, but I really want the low end to chunk up underneath.

Think a compressor will handle that ok? (MXR Dynacomp fyi) or that alongside maybe the EHX mole or maybe a eq pedal with a few dB's of gain on the low end.

I plan on leaving the KMA on all the time and individually turning off the various dirt's in the HPF chain.

Just brainstorming by the way. 🙂

• Like 2

I had the previous version of the Tyler. Now I use the IE Divaricator as the smaller size suits me better. But the main point is that it is a wonderful tool for us, bassists. Clean low end and screaming highs. You can put chorus/flanger to the high side, too, but an envelope does not work too well there. Put that before or after the KMA. If you have two compressors, you can put them to separate bands.

If you have not nailed the placement and the cabling, yet, please do some experiments, like put the distortion to the low band. Crazy trials may open up new horizons.

Tightening the sound may be possible with the HPF. Try something like 30 - 60 Hz. That reduces both handling noise and the lowest end, which consume lots of power.

• Like 2

The KMA looks awesome, I can see a use for that on my board.

As for a low end bump, the two things I'm currently using for this... the TC Electronic Spectracomp is 3 band, I've got a faster attack & higher ratio in the low frequencies, slower attack and less ratio in the mid/highs which that work nicely: and by accident found a great bass boost setting in the Seamoon Funk Machine where it effectively just works as an eq filter without a sweep... awesome lowend, in the Neil Jason video it's very dub but you can tune it higher so it doesn't evacuated your bowels every time you play.

• Like 1

Thanks Both,

I do have a HPF at the front, Mini vong, sweepable, helps with the room boom.

yep seeing what works in and out each loop, one thing to be wary of if anyone goes down the KMA route, polarity reversals, got 4 pedals in the top loops, 3 reverse polarity when engaged, had to make some amendments . . 

At the moment I have the frequencies split nicely to provide suitable low end umph and top end for the gain pedals.

Currently have my old trusty EHX bass preacher fattening up the low end, I am wondering if a small eq pedal will assist.

Anyway it's all trial and error, gigged it at the weekend, seemed ok, will keep testing the waters

I’m using a Tyler for exactly the same purposes as you.   I have an MXR Bass compressor in the lows, and just today swapped out a Hamstead Subspace in the highs.   I still have to master my overall sound.   Still a bit unsure.  I can see the potential but haven’t hit the perfect sound yet!   
I may go back to the Source Audio Aftershock for the distortion.   The great thing the Aftershock has is stereo operation, so you can program it for one sound for the high end, and run a different one for the low end.
However, it seems I’m more of a clean sound kinda guy.   I’m still trying to find a way to like distortion better than clean.   Hence me constantly searching for the right combination.

The Tyler is a great bit of kit, but it’s expensive on the real estate, taking up the space of two other pedals…

wish me luck with my experimentations!   🍺😬

EDIT:  I’m now pretty familiar with what’s going on now, and have a very usable sound.   It’s still relatively subtle but noticeable, and adds a lot of sonic weight to my sound.  Liking it.

Edited by GremlinAndy
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

One thing that I have found is that I only use two bands, the low and the high. I have omitted the whole band, or "clean". It creates more issues than helps with my sound. Comb filtering etc.

If you need a comp, please try a multi-band comp after the X-over, or at the end of the chain. tce Spectra, or HG are functional examples.

2 hours ago, paulo m said:

The Tech 21 Q Strip has     H. P. F & L. P. F's plus Speaker simulation & a  beautifully sweet analogue Two Band' EQ  a multitude of use's for bass' & just about most everything else. 

Unfortunately the HPF and LPF are not frequency-adjustable on the Q-strip. 

On 10/04/2022 at 20:16, mcnach said:

Unfortunately the HPF and LPF are not frequency-adjustable on the Q-strip. 

This is indeed true.... But' I've found the Q Strip to be an excellent unit for bass' in fact' a far better a preamp' with useful features than some other high end equipment. 

• Like 1