Why become a member? ×

"No women in the band"...

solo4652

If someone has a certain image in their head of the band they want to create, and can explain it properly then fair play, up to them who they want in their band. When I left my last band there would have been many people unsuitable to replace me, irrespective of ability, just due to image. 
But if that’s not explained properly, and just lumped in the “they never carry the gear” or “the guitarist will just end up going out with them and splitting the band up” well that’s story telling of the future and I’d be wary. Sure that may have happened in the past but how does that have anything to do with future personnel.

3 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I've never seen a woman set fire to her farts on a tour bus. Just saying...

Back in the day there used to be a female detective at Basildon who used to do this exact thing when sufficiently inebriated.

Or sober, tbf. :D 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It's a funny old world.

I've been in all male bands, and a couple with a female/females.  It doesnt matter to me either way. I've no problem with an all female band only wanting female members and the same with the men wanting only men.  It just depends on the reasons for it.

I was in a 5 piece back a few years, and we had a string of singers , including one woman. Things got weird at one rehearsal when she refused to sing  certain lyrics in a Black Crowes song,  Hard To Handle.  Those words being  "That ain't nothin' but drugstore lovin' " and also  " That ain't nothing but ten cent lovin' "

Then she sits on the floor crossed legged like in meditation, and started sulking.  Bit strange. We had to let her go, but then we let 3 different male singers go for other reasons.

At least the woman could sing. As could our bloke singer from India. We had some trouble with a nutter in the audience at one gig, which scared him. It didnt bother anyone else, because we had enough big scary blokes in the band already, and we made it clear to the unruly geezer, but our singer quit.

One bloke we sacked because he hadnt rehearsed, turned up at a gig, and forgot the words to the first track. LL told us not to come back if he was still in the band. 

I wouldn't be comfortable in some monstrously macho  band.  Then again, i'm sure  there are some equivalent female bands that could tear it up in the same fashion,  just that i believe there to be less of them than toxic male bands.  The female band L7 springs to mind.

1 hour ago, solo4652 said:

Here's the guts of the Bandmix profile:

INFLUENCES

All rock and I mean all influences from the 60's onwards. I do like most genres but would like to do original stuff that is influenced by the last 3 decades.I have played all the typical club and pub stuff. Everyone does the same old crap. I'm looking for musicians that just want to escape into oblivion. Use your knowledge and influences and make something else.

MEMBERS OF BAND

At present its just me - guitarist, songwriter, singer,bit of keyboards and drums.
Looking for anyone who wants to shake off the cobwebs. Ideally i'm looking for musicians who can play and do vocals as well.
Don't call me if all you've played in C&W. Don't call me if all you want to do is play your instrument and look at your foot pedals it's boring!!
No women in the band.

Thinking of it, does that not mean that one woman joining the band is ok as it clearly mentions the plural? 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

She doesn't like the sound of most women singers - a bit odd as she is a singer but that is her preference. She has nothing against groups with women in them, or even backing singers, just female main vocals that she just doesn't like There are no bands with female singers she likes. A few she respects, but none she actually likes. And yes, the last touring groups I saw (apart from Gary Numan) were Wolf Alice and Within Temptation, so she wouldn't go to those.

My Mrs is exactly the same. She doesn't hate all women singers but the vast majority. I don't understand it myself but she hasn't changed in all the time I have known her.

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Agreed. And that started me thinking, and mentally doing my usual substitutions.

No women in the band.

No blacks in the band.

No whites in the band.

No Asians in the band.

No LGBT in the band.

No non-Brits in the band.

No over-25s in the band.

No under 60s in the band.

Etc.

Pick and mix those you're comfortable, or feel uncomfortable, with.

No men in the band?

Funny isn't it. If it was an all girl group people wouldn't bat an eyelid at that one. It certainly wouldn't be on here stirring up controversy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

LOL. Gee, I wonder why? Typical pub and club stuff is there to entertain the punters. They want something they can sing along to and dance to. If you want to be booked, and to get an audience, that's what you've got to do. He's making it clear that he's favouring the creative point of view. Fair enough.

This is it. Everyone wants to be the different type of band that gets really noticed but certainly in our neck of the woods punters go out to a pub before hitting the club and they want to hear stuff they know and can dance/sing along to. If we started playing originals they would leave.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

No men in the band?

Funny isn't it. If it was an all girl group people wouldn't bat an eyelid at that one. It certainly wouldn't be on here stirring up controversy. 

Not true, we would take equal notice, as below:

4 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

If, instead, they mean they wouldn't want a woman on bass, then I'd really be curious to know why. I'd also be curious to know why if the opposite was happening, a band not wanting a male bassist.

I don't think that ad is specific enough in terms of what musicians are wanted and what route to go down musically for making original stuff  "All rock and I mean all influences from the 60's onwards. I do like most genres but would like to do original stuff that is influenced by the last 3 decades" ....that needs more of a specific musical direction to get like-minded musicians to form a band, especially as he's the only person in this 'band' so far.

He's outlined negatives- what he doesn't want (Women, C & W, and people who don't sing and look at their pedalboard) but what musicians is he looking for? What creative route to go down? Should a Trumpet player who wants to be in a Ska Punk band apply? Keyboard player for Black Metal? Rapper for Rap Metal? Djent Bass player? Singing Thrash metal drummer?

Considering the negative and musically directionless vibe of the add I'd assume there won't be many responses, but to then sign off with 'no Women' is the icing on the cake to probably get no responses at all! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, solo4652 said:

INFLUENCES

All rock and I mean all influences from the 60's onwards. I do like most genres but would like to do original stuff that is influenced by the last 3 decades.I have played all the typical club and pub stuff. Everyone does the same old crap. I'm looking for musicians that just want to escape into oblivion. Use your knowledge and influences and make something else.

MEMBERS OF BAND

At present its just me - guitarist, songwriter, singer,bit of keyboards and drums.
Looking for anyone who wants to shake off the cobwebs. Ideally i'm looking for musicians who can play and do vocals as well.
Don't call me if all you've played in C&W. Don't call me if all you want to do is play your instrument and look at your foot pedals it's boring!!
No women in the band.

Well, he seems a bit of a pink torpedo, but if that's what he wants/doesn't want then that's up to him.

Nothing to get offended over, or offended on behalf of others over.

I don't want a tibetan derrière-flute player in my band...... and that's my choice. Nothing to see here, keep calm and carry on....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Maybe the person posting has had a rough experience with female band members, maybe he’s uncomfortable around women…there could be loads of reasons.

I am guessing from the add that he dosnt' really have much experience with band members full stop.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

When I left my last band there would have been many people unsuitable to replace me, irrespective of ability, just due to image.

Me too. Luckily noone in their right mind would want that image :D

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I was in a 5 piece back a few years, and we had a string of singers , including one woman. Things got weird at one rehearsal when she refused to sing  certain lyrics in a Black Crowes song,  Hard To Handle.  Those words being  "That ain't nothin' but drugstore lovin' " and also  " That ain't nothing but ten cent lovin' "

Then she sits on the floor crossed legged like in meditation, and started sulking.  Bit strange. We had to let her go, but then we let 3 different male singers go for other reasons.

Thats weird. My wife had no problem singing prison sex by tool. She would however of had trouble singing hard to handle as she always laughs at that one (it is the image of one our singers singing about being a loving ladies man).

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

dont be daft, if there was a post about an all girl group not wanting a man in the band tons of people would be piling in with a line just like yours.

I would be put off by the general tone of the advert. Sounds like a project that would never get out of the practice room. For my money, playing music people want to dance and party to is kind of the point. If I want to be a deep, brooding musician, I’ll find a modern jazz quartet…or not!

• Like 1

For 5 years our acdc tribute was fronted by a lady which was quite handy as she could hit all of Bon Scott`s notes. She also sang the lyrics as if it was from the guy`s point of view which was a bit weird sometimes. But the punters loved her and she was really good.

She never helped with the setting up and at times she could be hard work but you gotta expect that form the singer sometimes :D

I don't quite get all the angst about an ad posted by a bedroom player with scant hope of ever setting foot onstage. If it were an ad by a working band with a full diary then one might understand the obloquy but no one who hooks up with this guy is likely to achieve anything much so he might just as well have written 'no people'.

For myself, I once desperately tried to get my band to hire an amazing female drummer so devoted to Bonham she had his rune tattoo'd on her wrist but - no - the guitarist (who was a simpering, upper-middle class lecturer) didn't want a woman in the band because of 'the look'. So I quit.

On the other hand, one band I was in the drummer kept bringing his morbidly obese wife to rehearsals where she would offer unhelpful 'suggestions' and knit jumpers. So I quit.

Another time I joined a blues band fronted by a female guitarist. We got to the stage of talking about image and she instructed me to wear only black jeans and t-shirt. 'Fair enough,' says I. 'While we're at it, you'd look good in a newsboy flat cap and a sort of Janis Joplin style'. She looked at me and said 'I'll wear the blouse I always wear'. I got home afterwards and discovered an e-mail firing me for making 'inappropriate comments'. Go figure.

The other thing about this teeny-tiny storm in a teeny-tiny teacup is that there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of frothing nutters out there with the most outlandish beliefs. This guy doesn't even move the needle on the dial.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, solo4652 said:

INFLUENCES

MEMBERS OF BAND

No women in the band.

And the band is called The Incels.

The vibe I'm getting from that is a hormone-riddled teenager who hasn't yet grown out of staring women in the chest. "Use your knowledge and influences and make something else" is the sort of pony I'd expect to hear from a snotgobbling brat who struggles to distinguish between Internet ads and real life.