Why become a member? ×

"No women in the band"...

solo4652

There are a few acceptable reasons why it would be " we dont want women in the band "   and  the legitmate reasons have been stated here, so no need to go gung ho PC yet. 

Ask, and then be offended afterwards or not, as the case maybe.

When myself and a friend started a funk band , us lads tried to be the vocalists and we were pretty awful.  We ended up with 3 extra members, all female, who took on the job of main vocals and 2 backing vocals, and it made the band.  We were lucky to have them join.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I could understand a band specifying a male or female singer. You're very unlikely to find a lady who could imitate Lemmy's vocals for example. Maybe even if it's a band member who would do backing vocals and you want a female backing vocal behind a male lead.

The rest of the band, I'd just want to play with the most competent players no matter what sex, race, religion etc. Just as long as they're not heavy stoner, I can't be dealing with them again. 

Many years ago I worked in a bookmaker's and the female manager would have made Lemmy sound like a soprano 😆

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Many years ago I worked in a bookmaker's and the female manager would have made Lemmy sound like a soprano 😆

That's why I said it was unlikely. There's a "lady" who's always on karaoke in the roughest pub in town who does a good Ace of Spades. I've also seen her knock a bloke out while singing and not miss a beat. He'd knocked over her pint.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I can kind of understand if it is the singer, it does change the whole type of the band (my wife would never go and see a female fronted band for instance).

Curious as to why your wife wouldn't go to see a female fronted band? We would never have been to so many gigs over the years if Mrs CP had applied that criteria, or I'd have been to them on my own 😆

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, casapete said:

Curious as to why your wife wouldn't go to see a female fronted band? We would never have been to so many gigs over the years if Mrs CP had applied that criteria, or I'd have been to them on my own 😆

She doesn't like the sound of most women singers - a bit odd as she is a singer but that is her preference. She has nothing against groups with women in them, or even backing singers, just female main vocals that she just doesn't like There are no bands with female singers she likes. A few she respects, but none she actually likes. And yes, the last touring groups I saw (apart from Gary Numan) were Wolf Alice and Within Temptation, so she wouldn't go to those.

• Like 3

Here's the guts of the Bandmix profile:

INFLUENCES

All rock and I mean all influences from the 60's onwards. I do like most genres but would like to do original stuff that is influenced by the last 3 decades.I have played all the typical club and pub stuff. Everyone does the same old crap. I'm looking for musicians that just want to escape into oblivion. Use your knowledge and influences and make something else.

MEMBERS OF BAND

At present its just me - guitarist, songwriter, singer,bit of keyboards and drums.
Looking for anyone who wants to shake off the cobwebs. Ideally i'm looking for musicians who can play and do vocals as well.
Don't call me if all you've played in C&W. Don't call me if all you want to do is play your instrument and look at your foot pedals it's boring!!
No women in the band.

• Sad 1

A few reasons why this might be the case.

I've been in bands where the blokey banter would have horrified a lot of women.  That may not be very appropriate in these enlightened times but it does still go on. If the band feel they are incapable or unwilling to change their behaviour they might be better off without a women in the room.

My last band was two guys and two girls.  One of the girls didn't want to lift a finger setting up and expected the blokes to do it.  Although I've been in all male band where people have failed to pull their weight the there was never a claim that it was because they were physically incapable of lifting the PA speakers. The two girls also tried top rebrand the band as female led band, pushing the guys into the background.  As far as the guys were concerned we were all equal contributors, and telling them that caused a bit of aggro.

Many of the songs we did were originally male vocalists - mainly because of a lack of female fronted bands in the genre we were doing.  The singer in some cases insisted on rewriting some of the words because they weren't appropriate for a woman to sing.

Vague at this point.  Plenty of women out there that can fill a spot in that type of band, but we dont know why the ' no women '  as yet.

It's certainly nothing to do with touring, going by his ad.  Bedroom musician right now, so it seems, till he has more members.  I'm guessing he's old school attitude at this point, and simply wont entertain a female in his supergroup.

Bit myopic to say the least, if indeed that is his reasoning

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

Here's the guts of the Bandmix profile:

INFLUENCES

All rock and I mean all influences from the 60's onwards. I do like most genres but would like to do original stuff that is influenced by the last 3 decades.I have played all the typical club and pub stuff. Everyone does the same old crap. I'm looking for musicians that just want to escape into oblivion. Use your knowledge and influences and make something else.

MEMBERS OF BAND

At present its just me - guitarist, songwriter, singer,bit of keyboards and drums.
Looking for anyone who wants to shake off the cobwebs. Ideally i'm looking for musicians who can play and do vocals as well.
Don't call me if all you've played in C&W. Don't call me if all you want to do is play your instrument and look at your foot pedals it's boring!!
No women in the band.

I'm not a woman and already think he's a d1ck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Vague at this point.  Plenty of women out there that can fill a spot in that type of band, but we dont know why the ' no women '  as yet.

It's certainly nothing to do with touring, going by his ad.  Bedroom musician right now, so it seems, till he has more members.  I'm guessing he's old school attitude at this point, and simply wont entertain a female in his supergroup.

Bit myopic to say the least, if indeed that is his reasoning

That's how I'm reading it, yes.

Have to say, he seems like a complete asshat.  But that aside, I see far more adverts for all female band seeking another female than I do all male seeking male.  I'm not offended by it, I'd just steer well clear as clearly its not the gig for me. 

If he'd said no women because they are crap at guitar, whole different situation, but from the looks of it, he has a set image of what he wants the band to be, and I guess for him thats all male.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Nicko said:

One of the girls didn't want to lift a finger setting up and expected the blokes to do it.  Although I've been in all male band where people have failed to pull their weight the there was never a claim that it was because they were physically incapable of lifting the PA speakers.

That is no reason - our guitarist never lifts a finger to help set anything up. he doesn't even come up with an excuse, he just doesn't. I have never had that in a band with women in. 

I have played all the typical club and pub stuff. Everyone does the same old crap.

LOL. Gee, I wonder why? Typical pub and club stuff is there to entertain the punters. They want something they can sing along to and dance to. If you want to be booked, and to get an audience, that's what you've got to do. He's making it clear that he's favouring the creative point of view. Fair enough.

As for the rest of the ad, he has his own ideas of what he wants, and again fair enough. The whole ad would completely put me off, anyway, irrespective of my gender or indeed his.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

If he'd said no women because they are crap at guitar, whole different situation, but from the looks of it, he has a set image of what he wants the band to be, and I guess for him thats all male.

Agreed. And that started me thinking, and mentally doing my usual substitutions.

No women in the band.

No blacks in the band.

No whites in the band.

No Asians in the band.

No LGBT in the band.

No non-Brits in the band.

No over-25s in the band.

No under 60s in the band.

Etc.

Pick and mix those you're comfortable, or feel uncomfortable, with.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 1

There are plenty of ads for “female-only punk band” etc on JMB.

I don’t sit and boil my head over it.

I just move on.

Maybe the person posting has had a rough experience with female band members, maybe he’s uncomfortable around women…there could be loads of reasons.

Same if it was posted from a female to male perspective.

• Like 6