Why become a member? ×

Origin Effects - Bassrigs

jimmyb625

So i'm a bunch of rehearsals and 3 live shows in with the Super Vintage.

In short? I love this thing. I've always been an SVT Classic guy but i don't play anywhere that remotely justifies 300 watts of tube and a fridge and even when i ignored that and bought one, I couldn't  turn it up anywhere near enough to get close to that punk rock Ampeg grind. I've been on the search for convincing SVT tone most of my bass playing life. Search over.

The cab sim on the DI to FOH really makes the difference, too may times i've had a great sound coming from my cab but the DI out front was thin and clanky as no soundmen seem to like using a mic for bass these days. I'm using the effects return on an Orange Little Bass Thing to push my cab. The amp out high and low adjustment really makes a difference tuning to other cabs i'm borrowing without affecting my consistent FOH sound.

Dialled with some breakup it still takes my drives very well.

IMG_1426.jpeg

Edited by danpb
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, SumOne said:

I think I'll go for it, exchanging the Pod Go for a Bassrig sort of masks the cost, the trouble is that I'll need a compressor and I'll probably faily quickly justify to myself that it 'needs' to be a Cali 76, and if I'm spending that much then I might as well get the matching colour (which I'll immediately feel like a mug for paying £30 more for)....before I know it I'll have spent £680 on two pedals!  What I'd hope though is that they are two very good pedals and if I ever tire of them they'll hold their value well (Cali 76 seem to rarely hang about 2nd hand at £220), so most of the £680 is an investment and pretty much a refundable deposit.  Justified!

Well done that man!

• Like 1

Now I realise that the DI/XLR is always with the Cab sim on, and the 1/4" out is never with the Cab sim on......I'm not sure that's a good move.

There might be situations where I want to go via XLR without a Cab sim, and there are definitely situations where I want the 1/4" out to have the option of Cab sim (I've got a fairly 'clean' sounding amp and Cab). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

...and there are definitely situations where I want the 1/4" out to have the option of Cab sim (I've got a fairly 'clean' sounding amp and Cab). 

The reason why I haven't succumbed to GAS and bought one.  My GED 2112 may not do the SVT thing quite as well as the Bassrig (according to a lengthy post on Talkbass) but it does it well enough for me and it does it through my amp, or a power amp should I buy a dedicated one.

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

Now I realise that the DI/XLR is always with the Cab sim on, and the 1/4" out is never with the Cab sim on......I'm not sure that's a good move.

There might be situations where I want to go via XLR without a Cab sim, and there are definitely situations where I want the 1/4" out to have the option of Cab sim (I've got a fairly 'clean' sounding amp and Cab). 

The cab sim is selectable on the DI out to be only active when the effect is engaged, or you can set it to be on all the time. You can't set it to be off if the effect is engaged, as the effect is to simulate thr actual amplifier.

There's an amp eq, which only affects the 1/4" output, but that's not a true cab simulation.

14 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

The cab sim is selectable on the DI out to be only active when the effect is engaged, or you can set it to be on all the time. You can't set it to be off if the effect is engaged, as the effect is to simulate thr actual amplifier.

There's an amp eq, which only affects the 1/4" output, but that's not a true cab simulation.

So to disable the cab sim from xlr needs the whole pedal turned off and there is no way to add the cab sim to the 1/4" out? I think that's an issue for me. Most preamps have some control over pre/post out for outputs, the Nux MLD is a third of the cost has individual cab sim on/off for XLR and 1/4".

I've also found that it's difficult to get a  clean dubby tone that uses just the EQ i.e. If I want to boost the bass and cut highs but not have noticeable overdrive the gain has to be very low (as EQ is pre drive so the boosted bass gets overdriven, and blend only blends the un-affected non-bass boosted clean input). 

It's clearly a very solid (weights nearly 1kg!) well made high end pedal and does some great overdrive tones, I'll give it a while longer to test properly but I'm thinking it's not the pedal for me. 

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

So to disable the cab sim from xlr needs the whole pedal turned off and there is no way to add the cab sim to the 1/4" out? I think that's an issue for me. Most preamps have some control over pre/post out for outputs, the Nux MLD is a third of the cost has individual cab sim on/off for XLR and 1/4".

That would be an issue for me too.  I don't use a real amp, just an frfr speaker.  At the moment, I send XLR from my helix to FOH and 1/4" from the helix to my frfr speaker. I'm guessing Origin Effect expect people to use this in conjunction with a real bass amp and cab on stage.

Without a cab sim on the 1/4" going to an frfr it would sound rather fizzy.  I suppose you could send XLR to an frfr and then another XLR from frfr to FOH as a workaround, But I love having discrete control over each.

FWIW, I don't use cab blocks in the helix, I prefer a simple eq to top and tail the signal with high and low cuts.  But the same logic applies here.

It's never going to be all things to all people, as we all want specific features.

For me, it works really well. I use it as an "always on" pedal, in place of an amplifier, with any monitoring usually coming from either an in-ear mix, or a stage monitor. If I was going to use an amp, I wouldn't be overly bothered about what it sounded like, as once it gets into the main mix, it's going to be eq'd anyway.

Anyway, that's just me. Like I said, we all want different things and we're fortunate enough nowadays to have a huge range to choose from.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

It's never going to be all things to all people, as we all want specific features.

For me, it works really well. I use it as an "always on" pedal, in place of an amplifier, with any monitoring usually coming from either an in-ear mix, or a stage monitor. If I was going to use an amp, I wouldn't be overly bothered about what it sounded like, as once it gets into the main mix, it's going to be eq'd anyway.

Anyway, that's just me. Like I said, we all want different things and we're fortunate enough nowadays to have a huge range to choose from.

Agreed. It does it’s job perfectly for me, ie an always on preamp at the end of the chain that sends my signal to FOH with a cab sim. Then I can go into my combo with the jack out if needed, and use the High/Low controls to cater for the amp’s own voicing. It won’t work for everyone I guess, but for me, its bang on the money.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, garyt said:

What are the verdicts on these pedals from Bass Rig owners?

Still really impressed with mine. It's been my main sound source since I bought it last year. I don't use high levels of drive when I'm playing with the band, but it's fun to have it available during rehearsal and practice.

Depending on the gig, I'll just take the board, which makes travelling pretty stress free as well. 

I may one day get the '64 Black Panel as well, but that's purely because I feel the need to buy things!

20221101_174932.jpg

Edited by jimmyb625
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Still really impressed with mine. It's been my main sound source since I bought it last year. I don't use high levels of drive when I'm playimg with the band, but it's fun tp have it available during rehearsal and practice.

Depending on the gig, I'll just take the board, which makes travelling pretty stress free as well. 

I may one day get the '64 Black Panel as well, but that's purely because I feel the need to buy things!

20221101_174932.jpg

Now that's a 'board that means business!

• Like 2

D6D3D713-C287-46D6-8127-5601C8B91E56.thumb.jpeg.240f0dc558746f01d484dee7ae379eb7.jpeg

loving the super vintage! 

it sounds killer and def does what I’m asking of it, a straight up no fuss signal to foh, it also means I can just go completely ampless I know it sounds good as I have used it to record some YouTube stuff. 

really happy with it as a direct clean tone, but it’s def a pushed clean 

tempted to grab the other one 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

lived with this for a while now it really does sounds great! also used it live a few times and again just such a nice conveniant way to send to FOH

and as a heavy user of distortion i hate the fizzy nature to most di even from my GK 2001rb this gives me the mic tone, am def grabbing the other version just incase i prefer it more.

Edited by 0175westwood29
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

I've had my BassRig '64 a few months now and I so happy with it. I practice at home using GarageBand on my Mac whilst playing along to iTunes tracks or YouTube. Since getting the '64 I just don't want to put my bass down. I can get some great tones and when playing along to YouTube tracks where the bass has been removed I'm as happy as a pig in stinky poo.

I must admit at first I was a little overwhelmed with it but after a week or so of just playing around I started to get the feel of it. I got to grips with changing the blend and drive whilst leaving the output set in place keeping the volume at one level mostly.

At first I was getting a synthy tone where I pushed the drive too much and I thought that's a tone I'll never use but a band member asked if we could try cover a Muse number and this pedal gets pretty close to the sound.

The band I'm with like overdriven bass in a lot of their numbers which previously wasn't my kind of sound but I'm starting to enjoy with the BassRig.

I paid full price for this and think it's well worth it. I really think it the best thing I've bought since my BB2000 back in the 80's... no joke.

Right... back to playing.

Edited by vbance
  • Like 1

The ‘64 Black Panel is amazing, I really do love the tone but I do wish the cab sim was defeatable. As it stands I only use it as a preamp and take the 1/4” into another DI, which sort of defeats the point of using it as a standalone unit. There is the smallest amount of noise when I use the pedal this way, not enough to be an issue live but when recording it would either need gating or dealing with the noise which isn’t ideal for an engineer. 

I’ve just bought the Jad Freer Capo. I don’t expect it will replace my Black Panel entirely as I really love the sound, and it does that tube-like compression so well. But the Capo would seem to do more things and with a lot more functionality.

Maybe not best or fair to compare them in this sense as they’re not apples and apples but the Capo I think will get me more places. 

• Like 2