Why become a member? ×

Origin Effects - Bassrigs

jimmyb625

My initial impressions (and pre-bias) was shattered after a bit of a play so it's definitely worth trying both. I'm still very uncertain as to which would be the most useful to me, and really looking forward to A/Bing them with my current pedalboard.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, knicknack said:

My initial impressions (and pre-bias) was shattered after a bit of a play so it's definitely worth trying both. I'm still very uncertain as to which would be the most useful to me, and really looking forward to A/Bing them with my current pedalboard.

I'm really interested in hearing what you think the relative strengths of each one are.

My heart's telling me I want the SVT version, but I'm wondering if the fender version would be a better fit. We're a sort of folky, Americana type of band.

This took a little longer than I anticipated! I thought i'd record a few sound examples for those pondering between the two... not trying to match them, but finding settings at low, medium and high gain that appealed to me on each. I've also put in examples of the 2 cab sims and the straight DI with the pedal bypassed. 

I've really enjoyed playing with these, and I do feel they give me something that other amp sims/preamps haven't in the past. 

Going in I expected to like the Super Vintage more, as I am SVT biased (and I'd say that my Super Bassman is more SVTish than anything vintage fender). This initially was the case as it felt very familiar, but as I spent more time with them I really fell in love with the Black Panel. It has so much character and some wonderful settings that I really loved playing with. However, I would say that 1. The cab sim with the pedal bypassed is pretty much unusable for me (but pretty accurate to a 2x15 there really!), whereas the 810 sim in the SV is a useable sound. 2. All my favourite sounds required quite dramatically different settings. If one of them was really appropriate for particular gig it'd be great, but the SV has alot on tap with very small changes. 

So with that, I took the SV out on a gig on Friday, to a local venue with an in house engineer. SV and IEMs in the gigbag, that's it! Engineer is used to me bringing my pedalboard with Noble DI and big Cali76 so I was interested in his opinion. The SV was really fun in the IEMs, but my previous cab sim experience led me to worry that the tone might be too rounded to really work in the PA. The reports however were good! I didn't even really miss my Cali76, as there is an element of amp-like compression. Later in the gig i upped the drive a little and pulled back the master to compensate. Again great fun and positive feedback. It's certainly different from my usual setup, but i can't see owning this little Ampeg in a box as being anything but another great tool in the armoury. Whether it goes on my board or not I'm not sure yet, it may be that it's more useful as a standalone unit. 

Happy to answer any questions, and I hope you find the examples above useful!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Stocks of these seem to have pretty much run out - and they don't even have valves in them!

Andertons are due to be getting some stock at the end of the month, although I'm not sure if all of their pre-sales are spoken for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2022 at 15:03, Lozz196 said:

Stadium Stack & Southern Jam sound great

Just to experiment, I dialled the Stadium Stack settings into the SVT4 Pro model on my Helix.  Whilst I usually go for a more neutral eq on amps, paired with a judicious low cut* this sounded fantastic through headphones so far - a lot cleaner than the Origin pedal, but still had that big ballsy, plummy girth you expect from an ampeg amp with a little top end sizzle.   I was expecting it to be way too bassy and scooped for my taste but it sat in a mix very nicely whilst I jammed along to some familiar tunes.  I need to test it at gig volume at this weekends rehearsal, but I think with a little tweak here and there, particularly the mid range, this may well become my new default patch.

*I've been an advocate of hpf for bass guitar for some time to clean up extraneous low end flub. But this is making me rethink my approach.  A judicious low cut with a shelf boost at the same frequency appears to get the low end punch I've been looking for without getting mucky.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

To my surprise I got a delivery window for today and have spent an hour or so playing with the '64 Black Panel.

I love it, it's everything I hoped it would be.

Some initial observations -

• Even the Cab Sim on its own makes a big improvement to the sound into my DAW. (My principal use is for recording.)
  • The EQ is really effective, just like on a good bass amp.
  • The Drive control is great for adding a bit of fur to the sound, just like my Ampeg PF-50T used to fur up when pushed. You can add a fair bit more than you would think - what sounds OTT played solo quickly disappears into the mix, while adding character.
  • All my bass guitars (see sig) keep their own characters, and the sound responds well to their tone and volume controls (all passive fwiw).
  • I have several other Origin gadgets, and I always worry about losing great settings once I have found them. The Bassrig is so intuitive that I can quickly dial in a great sound from wherever I am.
  • The Bright switch is great for extracting the full top end range from your bass without adding excess hiss. (YMMV with an active bass.)
  • This box made me want to play! That is a real win in my book.
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

To my surprise I got a delivery window for today and have spent an hour or so playing with the '64 Black Panel.

I love it, it's everything I hoped it would be.

Some initial observations -

• Even the Cab Sim on its own makes a big improvement to the sound into my DAW. (My principal use is for recording.)
  • The EQ is really effective, just like on a good bass amp.
  • The Drive control is great for adding a bit of fur to the sound, just like my Ampeg PF-50T used to fur up when pushed. You can add a fair bit more than you would think - what sounds OTT played solo quickly disappears into the mix, while adding character.
  • All my bass guitars (see sig) keep their own characters, and the sound responds well to their tone and volume controls (all passive fwiw).
  • I have several other Origin gadgets, and I always worry about losing great settings once I have found them. The Bassrig is so intuitive that I can quickly dial in a great sound from wherever I am.
  • The Bright switch is great for extracting the full top end range from your bass without adding excess hiss. (YMMV with an active bass.)
  • This box made me want to play! That is a real win in my book.

The sort of thing I don’t need to be reading (I think I still have both pedals in my basket on the Origin site)!

I think the 64 is the one I’d be drawn too especially if it’s a bit more B15 in some regards than the SV more rock oriented tones. Still scratching the chin over this. I really should seek my DG ADAM first (but it’s such a useful

home practice unit as well as a solid gig weapon).

Edited by krispn

21 hours ago, krispn said:

The sort of thing I don’t need to be reading (I think I still have both pedals in my basket on the Origin site)!

I think the 64 is the one I’d be drawn too especially if it’s a bit more B15 in some regards than the SV more rock oriented tones. Still scratching the chin over this. I really should seek my DG ADAM first (but it’s such a useful

home practice unit as well as a solid gig weapon).

Loving this even more today, playing along with some Bowie songs. The sound is so... there.

Not tried the Adam - looks very capable, possibly a bit steeper learning curve than the Bassrig.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave this its first outing yesterday. An unexpected trial by fire, as I'd forgotten my bass amp (too busy playing car jenga with the rest of the P.A. and guitarists stuff). I hadn't even tested it out at home, as my amp usually lives elsewhere, due to a ridiculous lack of space. 

It was an absolute breeze to use and it was almost impossible to get a bad sound from it. I used the 70's stadium (I think) as the starting point and just made a slight tweak, then left it set that way for the duration. 

I'm very impressed with it.

20220331_004341.jpg

• Like 3

Where my bank balance is concerned Basschat and Talkbass are the axis of evil!

I'm seriously considering returning my recently aquired Pod Go Wireless in exchange for a Bassrig Black Panel. Same sort of cost but one has wireless, 220+ effects, FX loop, expression pedal, tuner etc. etc. and the other sounds better at it's one specific thing  - but 90% of the time I want that one specific thing. 

• Haha 1

…. yeah tell me about it, I priced up my main board recently and it was just under being able to get TWO Neural DSP Quad Cortex units….

…. but I like actual pedals 😁

Edited by jimbobothy
  • Like 2

I think I'll go for it, exchanging the Pod Go for a Bassrig sort of masks the cost, the trouble is that I'll need a compressor and I'll probably faily quickly justify to myself that it 'needs' to be a Cali 76, and if I'm spending that much then I might as well get the matching colour (which I'll immediately feel like a mug for paying £30 more for)....before I know it I'll have spent £680 on two pedals!  What I'd hope though is that they are two very good pedals and if I ever tire of them they'll hold their value well (Cali 76 seem to rarely hang about 2nd hand at £220), so most of the £680 is an investment and pretty much a refundable deposit.  Justified!

• Like 5