Why become a member? ×

Origin Effects - Bassrigs

jimmyb625

Well spent about  an hour with it and so far I like it a-lot.

Side by side with the VT bass DI out the Origin has a lot more bottom end and feels more touch responsive, like playing through a miked amp. I'm a really big fan of the Tech 21 pedals but the Super Vintage really feels like your playing through a tube amp in the way it responds.

Where it excels are when you start increasing the drive and really digging in. It's super responsive and the breakup sounds more real world tube like. Playing in a mix is where I think it will really shine. I really, really like some of the high gain sounds this can produce.

So far so good then. Hopefully i'll get some more time with at the weekend and might even gig with it Saturday.

In regards to the price. Yes it's expensive but it has to be without a doubt one of the best put together 'pedals' i've come across. I can't think of anything else that comes close regarding the build quality and aesthetic.

• Like 4

Y’know I’m really happy with the layout of my board but I’d really like to try one of these out live. I’d say that’s where they’ll shine. Big solid bass tone from the PA as well as the amp or for iem. I think the ‘64’ would be a better fit for me but I know there are some great driven tones in the SV too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryancowell25 said:

Side by side with the VT bass DI out the Origin has a lot more bottom end and feels more touch responsive, like playing through a miked amp. I'm a really big fan of the Tech 21 pedals but the Super Vintage really feels like your playing through a tube amp in the way it responds.

Where it excels are when you start increasing the drive and really digging in. It's super responsive and the breakup sounds more real world tube like. Playing in a mix is where I think it will really shine. I really, really like some of the high gain sounds this can produce.

So far so good then. Hopefully i'll get some more time with at the weekend and might even gig with it Saturday.

In regards to the price. Yes it's expensive but it has to be without a doubt one of the best put together 'pedals' i've come across. I can't think of anything else that comes close regarding the build quality and aesthetic.

I was hoping you'd say it's a sack of crap. Dammit, I might as well accept I'm going to buy one. Maybe it'll replace the Two Notes Le Bass

• Like 1

Origin make excellent products  no-doubt'  i have a Cali 76 compact......  But' Do we need or require more knobs to twiddle nor switch's to switch?...... interesting to hear that Gregor Fris (Bass the World) say's that they "Wont" turn your pedal platform into either a  Fender nor an Ampeg..?? 

Dedicated Pedal Addicts will be head over heels' for these well designed & beautifully made products.

Edited by paulo m

9 hours ago, ryancowell25 said:

How's the mid range control on the Super Vintage? From the YouTube clips I've seen it doesn't have that huge void in the mid range that the BDDI has (which is also modelled on the SVT), and coupled with the bloated lows is why I could never get on with the BDDI. The demos that are available so far suggest this has a much more usable core tone and more useful EQ options, for me at least, over the BDDI. (I've not played through an SVT at volume so have no direct reference point 😕

Like a couple of others guys have said, on paper I'd more likely have thought the Black Panel pedal would have been more my thing but from what I've seen and heard online I'm leaning towards the Super Vintage.

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

90% of what I need to use my hx stomp for is amp sim and maybe compressor … this would be a fun alternative…

tuner there you go. Really trying to avoid being a pedal person! 😁

If I end up getting one (which is highly likely) I think it will end up on a small board with that configuration: tuner, compressor, bassrig

6 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

If I end up getting one (which is highly likely) I think it will end up on a small board with that configuration: tuner, compressor, bassrig

That's what I'd go for. Origin Effects need to make a matching tuner though! 

7 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

That's exactly the setup I have but with a Le Bass instead of bassrig. It's simple and does all I need. I used to think I needed fuzz and od and flanger etc, etc but I've decided simple is the way forward. 

The one thing I might miss if I swap the le bass for a bassrig is the clean, dirty and blended channel options.

On 22/02/2022 at 10:19, Musicman20 said:

These will no doubt be well thought out, but still, at £400 I'm happy with my Tech 21 pedals or the Helix Stomp. 

^^This.

Still loving my VTDI - particularly having discovered the additional fuller low-end sound with the cab sim engaged. It can also deliver a whole range of tone shaping in particular both SVT and warm valve grit; must admit I've not heard anything on the Origin YT clips so far that would make me want to jump ship - particularly given the price jump from a readily available used VTDI to the new Origin alternative. 

On 24/02/2022 at 20:57, ryancowell25 said:

Nice first impressions review, thanks! Wanted to pick up on one of your comments on your A/B - when making the comparison was the cab-sim engaged on the VTDI? 

Be quite interested in whether having a "lot more bottom end" will actually be a good thing or not in a band-mix?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Yes Cab sim was engaged.  I would say the real difference is how the Origin feels rather than sounds when you change your playing dynamics compared to the VTDI. Certainly at higher gain settings there are more harmonic overtones.  

Good point regarding 'bottom end' - i was thinking more how it would sit in a recording rather than live as i was running out of DI into a DAW/Interface. Haven't tried through an amp yet either through effects return or front of the amp. The manual shows how to do both.

• Like 2

My ‘64 Black Panel arrived today. Sounds wonderful! Lots of tones in there, from standard clean DI to full on roaring distortion. Can see this really coming in handy! Built like a tank too. Very impressed so far. Only problem with it is, it makes me want the other one too!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, knicknack said:

I gave in...

E3F753D2-8796-4874-B61F-7D7891CE2718.JPG

I’d be interested to know your thoughts on the bypassed DI tone with the cab sim engaged. 
I’m thinking I’d quite like an SV to run a bit dirty then bypass it for a clean tone….

I’m keen to hear how folks find the two smaller controls Amp Out EQ when running the pedal to an amp. I’ve no doubt Origin have made it work but it’s always good to hear user feedback (I still have both units in my basket on the OE page)😬