Why become a member? ×

A cool idea for someone to take up?

Richard R

This isn't a build diary, or even about basses per se, but I saw a very neat idea this evening which could make a very interesting top or body for a bass.

At a restaurant in Bowness on Windermer (Boardwalk bar and grill, very nice), I was distracted by the tables.

20220221_200938.thumb.jpg.5db5cb8004170747328b30edfc8f96d1.jpg20220221_194431.thumb.jpg.cb30268fc5d520e6741b8ee42c0ba5ed.jpg

Talking to the owner, he and one of the waitresses had made them during lockdown. The wood was cut rectangular on three edges, planed and thicknessed. Then the centre was filled with the coloured resin, and when that was hardened the whole lot encased in clear resin.

Looks cool in the restaurant, could look very cool on a bass body.

I won't be doing this any time soon, but I'll post it here for anyone else to maybe pick up.

• Like 4

My mate Max is a bit of a resin expert and has been supplying his tops to lots of top guitar brands. He makes all sorts of other products too:

https://www.facebook.com/tobiascasparwood

https://tobiascaspar.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR1nkHmXSsZeodzBldLhJzq_t8-vNMIn-OrQrtQ2BNe5kW7Xa-xP54w6mBU

The methods he has perfected for creating resin products alleviates many of the problems associated with it and understandably his guitar tops look incredibly rich and very clear! Talented chap!

rs=w:1300,h:800

Hornets nest:

rs=w:1300,h:800

One for Grainger Guitars:

260630555_2851885265101990_3326337883678

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...