Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender American Pro ii Dark Night Limited Edition Jazz Bass

Old Horse Murphy

25 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

According to the guy at Guitarguitar in Birmingham when I was looking at them they were selling as many in that colour as all the other colours put together. Nice to see Fender being a bit braver with the colour options.

Part of my thinking is that hopefully the colour is a limited run, so buy one now and my kids may have something very valuable in twenty years or more. A bit like the Antigua finish that was spectacular but short lived 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Why can't they rout a passive bass nicely? I don't get it. Cheaper basses can like a Sire V7 can be routed neatly.

They can eg The Aerodyne range. I guess it’s the traditional way of making them and the scratch plate and control plate covers the route anyway. There are pros and cons. I find rear cavities and covers a little ugly as well and have never been decided on the Jaco look of just a control plate either. It looks a bit “unfinished”.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

They can eg The Aerodyne range. I guess it’s the traditional way of making them and the scratch plate and control plate covers the route anyway. There are pros and cons. I find rear cavities and covers a little ugly as well and have never been decided on the Jaco look of just a control plate either. It looks a bit “unfinished”.

Same here, hate the rear cover and the lack of a pickguard just looks rubbish. But each to their own And all that…….

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Same here, hate the rear cover and the lack of a pickguard just looks rubbish. But each to their own And all that…….

I agree re pickguard-less Jazz Basses, especially when they still have the bell plate added, so having a pickguard doesn't bother me at all. 

11 hours ago, tegs07 said:

They absolutely can do it on a passive bass and did in the past with no rear routing. It’s a moment’s work with the right long thin drill bit with separate pickup routes but it’s tricky to automate and so is normally done by hand. I suspect these are all CNC routed and for basic contouring so basically a cost and manufacturing efficiency issue. Personally I think it looks awful and really like the look of a jazz without a pickguard (and with). 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

They absolutely can do it on a passive bass and did in the past with no rear routing. It’s a moment’s work with the right long thin drill bit with separate pickup routes but it’s tricky to automate and so is normally done by hand. I suspect these are all CNC routed and for basic contouring so basically a cost and manufacturing efficiency issue. Personally I think it looks awful and really like the look of a jazz without a pickguard (and with). 

Yep as I said they can and the aerodynes do. Tight fit and fiddly to change jack / pickups etc. There is always a trade off. Personally I think Sandberg have nailed it.

Edited by tegs07

57 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Imagining this with white pearloid pg.

I must admit, it's a bit too dark for me so i thought about Pearloid too or something similar. This is the only pic I can find where's someone's done it. Not entirely sure it works in a Strat but it should look better on a Jazz Bass IMO930EC7D8-1E9B-4747-968F-29BA7C5DCF48.thumb.webp.4306a04bf2342e418b66691cb2ffa641.webp

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 1

Congrats on owning a stunning bass - would be happy to have that in my collection and whilst it might not be your sweet-spot I bet it does sound and play beautifully.

White p/g would definitely look lush - I'd try that for sure.

• Thanks 1

Well I took it to practice and it was fantastic. The pickups have been set just right and the balance between the neck and bridge is really close. I'm not really a bridge pickup type of guy but dialling it in more and taking the neck pickup down for some songs worked really well. 

The neck is sublime; it's not pencil thin like a Geddy Lee and it was just a revelation to play. I bought a set of EMG's to drop in to it as I thought I might find the stock pickups a little anaemic, but with the aid of my Laney Digbeth preamp the sounds I got where just what I wanted. Needless to say I won't be putting the EMG's in. 

Very happy 😊 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well I took it to practice and it was fantastic. The pickups have been set just right and the balance between the neck and bridge is really close. I'm not really a bridge pickup type of guy but dialling it in more and taking the neck pickup down for some songs worked really well. 

The neck is sublime; it's not pencil thin like a Geddy Lee and it was just a revelation to play. I bought a set of EMG's to drop in to it as I thought I might find the stock pickups a little anaemic, but with the aid of my Laney Digbeth preamp the sounds I got where just what I wanted. Needless to say I won't be putting the EMG's in. 

Very happy 😊 

Glad to hear it dude. I will have an am pro ii one day.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes, the old ways are just better.  This is my Am original 60s Jazz and the workmanship is really good here.  It sounds great too, but a bit more on the mellow side compared to the Am Pro 2.

Lovely bass by the way, and pleased it fits well in the mix.  I have quite a few different basses but find the Jazz is the most versatile for what I play.   It doesn't have the girth of the P bass in the mix, but sometimes that is not what is always needed imho.

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

• Like 1