Why become a member? ×

Stand alone compressor pedal that is a battery operated?

MikanHannille

I'm looking for a stand alone compressor pedal that is battery operated. Any suggestions?

At the moment I'm leaning towards Zoom MS 60B just because it can be battery powered(I don't really need its other features). Any other ideas?

Edited by MikanHannille

The benefits of the MS60B are that there are a few compressors on there to choose from. I’ve had a few compressors, MXR M87, Keeley Bassist, Seymour Duncan Studio, Rothwell Love Squeeze. My fave, and the one I’ve bought again recently is the Keeley, it’s really easy to set and doesn’t colour the sound.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I will mainly use it to even out the peaks and lows on my playing. I have noticed that whenever I play even my passive Alpher that I still have to use the pad on my amp as when I dig in even a little bit(fingerstyle), my cab starts farting out. 

Now I say this as I normally run a helix lt and that’s how I rolled for a number of years and have enjoyed the la compressor amongst other choices. I find it very subtle and transparent. But I find myself recently just plugging in straight to my amp and use a clip on tuner instead (bit liberating). Obviously I go back to the helix if I want effects(depends on which band I play with). But am just looking to simplify things and just get a compressor on its own that can run off a 9v battery. Less wires the better.

Edited by MikanHannille
  • Like 2

I usually run off a Helix too, and a separate  Cali76 CB.

Obviously no use to you, as a PSU is involved but I think it's better for bass than any I've found in my Helix, but sacrifices have to be made 😉

Edited by 2pods

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, PaulHornBass said:

What did you go for in the end, @MikanHannille? I also have a desire for simplicity in my set up, so would be interested to know...

I went with my first choice of Zoom. I was offered one for a price I could not say no. Although I discovered that it’s got a battery compartment for 2x AA battery but the minimum voltage it requires is 9v. So in the end I wasn’t able to run in using batteries. However, the extension lead thay I have been using for my amp head does have a couple of usb plugs, so I just plugged it there and it works fine.

In the end I was still using it powered via cables, but kind of less as I did not need any extra power supply. Kind of a compromise I suppose. 

• Thanks 1

Are you saying it wont run on teh 2x AA batteries? - have you checked/changed teh set up for teh type of Batt used?
The 9v socket for external power would just be to keep to a standard, same as 5v for USB...

For 9v pedal thingies that don't have internal batteries - when a separate supply doesn't make sense - i have ordered some 9v Batt Snap to centre Neg plugs from Ali Express... simple!  and may help it run longer / or as simple back up as others may have a 9v for other effects etc.

Edited by PaulThePlug

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Are you saying it wont run on teh 2x AA batteries? - have you checked/changed teh set up for teh type of Batt used?
The 9v socket for external power would just be to keep to a standard, same as 5v for USB...

For 9v pedal thingies that don't have internal batteries - when a separate supply doesn't make sense - i have ordered some 9v Batt Snap to centre Neg plugs from Ali Express... simple!  and may help it run longer / or as simple back up as others may have a 9v for other effects etc.

Yeah, it wasn't running no matter what battery I put in it for some reason. I'm kind of puzzled as to why would they put a compartment for 2x AA batteries but require 9v. Just happened that I have a USB cable hanging around and tried it and it worked. Never really questioned it after that.

On 22/02/2022 at 11:32, MikanHannille said:

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I will mainly use it to even out the peaks and lows on my playing. I have noticed that whenever I play even my passive Alpher that I still have to use the pad on my amp as when I dig in even a little bit(fingerstyle), my cab starts farting out. 

Now I say this as I normally run a helix lt and that’s how I rolled for a number of years and have enjoyed the la compressor amongst other choices. I find it very subtle and transparent. But I find myself recently just plugging in straight to my amp and use a clip on tuner instead (bit liberating). Obviously I go back to the helix if I want effects(depends on which band I play with). But am just looking to simplify things and just get a compressor on its own that can run off a 9v battery. Less wires the better.

Boss LMB3

For some reason I didn't clock that I could run my Keeley Bassist with a battery. Will have to give that a go and see how long it can last. Another compressor that I used to own and has a battery compartment is the DOD Milk Box. Wish I hadn't sold mine now, as they're a bit more expensive to buy secondhand nowadays!

• Like 1

On 22/02/2022 at 11:32, MikanHannille said:

I will mainly use it to even out the peaks and lows on my playing.

I used to use a Behringer bass limiter enhancer for this, which is a clone of the boss bass limiter enhancer. It worked very well and was easy to use.

I currently use a spectracomp which doesn't have room for a 9v battery but can be powered from one with a simple converter cable

My favourite by far is the Boss BC-1X.

It's so good I no longer own a Cali76 / Empress / Keeley 4 knob / Keeley Pro / Darkglass Super Symmetry etc etc.

However, the battery life on all X series pedals isn't particularly good. A 9v is only expected to last 2 hours of continual use.

If you have some rechargeable batteries and a show doesn't last more than 1.5 hours (to be safe) then it's great. 

I have to say though - if you have power for your amp then you have power for a supply for the pedals. If the compressor is always on and you don't use any other pedals then it can sit on top of your amp and does not need to be miles away from the same socket used for the amp.

On 31/05/2022 at 13:04, MikanHannille said:

I went with my first choice of Zoom. I was offered one for a price I could not say no. Although I discovered that it’s got a battery compartment for 2x AA battery but the minimum voltage it requires is 9v. So in the end I wasn’t able to run in using batteries. However, the extension lead thay I have been using for my amp head does have a couple of usb plugs, so I just plugged it there and it works fine.

In the end I was still using it powered via cables, but kind of less as I did not need any extra power supply. Kind of a compromise I suppose. 

I have an MS60B and it works fine on 2 AA batteries (3V). Manual says it will run for about 7 hours, though I haven't tested it. USB voltage is always 5 V. So I guess there is some circuitry that will increase or decrease the input voltage from 3, 5 or 9 Vdc to the working voltage, whatever that is.

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

It's faulty in that case. Probably why you got it cheap.

I know why I got it cheap. It was “hacked”; there were and still are, as I haven’t bothered resetting it to default, some guitar versions of stomp in there (apparently it’s a popular thing to do). Doubt it was about the battery compartment as that part of it looks totally unused. Must have been running it using psu. 

All in all I wasn’t that bothered. I did not have to buy another power supply. So all good on my side.