Why become a member? ×

Ultra Short Scale Bass Build FINISHED!

Jimothey

My little boy really wants a bass so I've decided to try and build him one! 

Being only 7yrs old he struggles with a standard short scale so I got given a crappy Burswood 3/4 sized guitar that in going to convert into a 24" scale bass 

So I started off with a template of a standard sized P bass then scaled it down till it looked right also making sure the neck pocket size is correct and the scale length will work out right too..... 

_20220221_150922.thumb.JPG.d82e33ab144faaa7ec5523d81e17223a.JPG

It did come out quite a bit smaller...... 

Here's the donor guitar

_20220221_132801.thumb.JPG.624918a8d15c21835458ff0e4ee38844.JPG

And here's what it will hopefully look like? 

_20220221_132738.thumb.JPG.40fd86924d85e6ff414f1b0e6c74e508.JPG

The body blank is gluing up at the moment so hopefully I'll get started cutting the body tomorrow........ 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 7

Pickguard cut, just got to chamfer the edges now and stain it, 

Making sure everything is going to line up which it all looks good........

_20220225_140012.thumb.JPG.9f1f3cdb6a3807e9557de7a689fa6dad.JPG

Next job start contouring the body and fill the existing tuner holes ready to re-drill them when the new nut arrives....👍🏻 

• Like 5

The body is all contoured and stained I decided to do a pine cap on the headstock so it matched the body and all the or tuner holes are filled so I'll be drilling them out tomorrow.... 

_20220303_142318.thumb.JPG.5a155eddfb68c9cb719ffce853e7c290.JPG

I can't decide on whether to leave the pickguard natural and just danish oil it or do it black?

Opinions please........... 👍🏻 

• Like 2

This is cool! 

Personally, assuming the p/ups are black, I would go for the black pickguard so there's a clearer visual idea; dark hardware, p'guard, p'ups with a light body.

I think the contrast would be stronger. But either way, I think this is fun (and something I've thought about doing in the past so I'm glad I can see how it goes without having to go to the bother of actually trying it myself) so I think you can't really go wrong here.

• Thanks 1

Always a good move to include the future owner/player in a few decisions, especially if it's a younger player. We all need to do our bit to encourage any children who are interested in playing an instrument to get as much enjoyment out of it as possible.😉👍

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jimothey said:

My gut is saying black but as this is for my little boy I thought I'd better give him the choice? and he chose natural just with a bit of danish oil on it.......... 👍🏻 

The lad has impeccable taste. I am watching this one with interest.

• Like 1

All finished and set up! 

_20220317_122246.thumb.JPG.040860190fb3bfcede49aff264fcdea3.JPG_20220317_122318.thumb.JPG.f090cd3c8d9a5200043b09c6c4faa862.JPG

Headstock logo is on I've named it the 'B Bass' as my little boy is called Bradley 

_20220317_122211.thumb.JPG.a9843c4111b45c08d20884fe1c608fc5.JPG

One slight problem is that even though I used short scale stringd I had to wind the thicker part of the E and A strings and it had stretched the string a bit but it seems to be stable tuning but I might have to look for some 24"  scale strings, I don't know if they do them?....... 👍🏻 

• Like 5

• Jimothey changed the title to Ultra Short Scale Bass Build FINISHED!

I think you have accomplished more than you will perhaps, at the moment anyway, realise.

Many years ago, 1965 to be precise, I was 9 years old and the only one of a group of pals who didn’t have a bike.

As with most families, money was tight and there wasn’t any likelihood of me getting one any time soon. Without letting on to me, my dad, my pop, uncles and so on had scavenged around for bicycle parts; frame, wheels etc.

My dad worked away from home at this time, leaving early Monday and returning late on Friday.

Sunday night I was packed off to bed and my dad secretly set about assembling this bike. Goodness knows what time he got finished.

I got up for school the next day; he had already left for his train, and I found this bike sitting in the kitchen.

I’ve never forgotten that moment: “My dad made that for me”.

It took many years for the deeper significance to become apparent, but at that point, the moment was enough.

I hope in the years ahead, your son will carry with him a similar cherished moment.

Bravo Sir.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1