Why become a member? ×

Loose input jack and unable to unscrew the jack guard (?) - Jackson JS2 Concert bass - Help!!!

FishyBass

First post here

Hello

So ever since I purchased this bass I realised that the input jack was always loose, however to fix this, I would just tighten the black jack guard (the black circle around the jack) and it would fix it. 

However now the jack itself has gotten so loose that I cannot play plugged in anymore without any 'attack' every time I play a note. I did some research and the fix itself is very easy however, my problem is the black jack guard and how I am unable to move it, unscrew it or remove it. 

I don't know what to do and I don't want to take it to a shop to get charged money I don't have, any help would be appreciated. 

I have attached images to show you my issue. 

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

Do you mean you cant pull the plate further out as the contacts are getting caught on the body hole?

Should be simple for those that know...

But understand trepidation for those that don't...

Where ya located?

I'm sure there will be a Bass Chatter local to  '...ploddy forward into the deep fundemold of the complicading forry to sort this one out matey...'

(Small Faces, Ogdens, Unwin... but we all know that right?..)

Edited by PaulThePlug

There are a few ways of going about this,  assuming that you are trying to tighten the hex nut of the jack socket itself against the rugby ball shaped "jack plate", which is then screwed to the body of the bass.

- If there is enough length of wire to pull the whole assembly out (which is what you appear to be trying in the photo), then it is usually a case of rotating the jack to relieve any wire twists and you will also probably find a position where the connectors or spring clips of the jack can be eased out of the hole.  That allows you to be able to hold the jack while you tighten the nut up.

- If there isn't enough wire, then - in that all you are trying to do is stop the jack twisting while you tighten the hex nut - is screw the jack plate back on and hold a screwdriver or similar at the base of the one of the connector lugs of the jack from inside the chamber to stop the jack turning while you tighten the hex nut from the other side.

If the wire inside has been twisted too much from the jack turning round in previous attempts, then unscrew the hex nut completely, pull the jack out of the jack plate into the control chamber, untwist the wires and then carry on with one of the two methods above.

Where in the country are you?  As @PaulThePlug says, there's a sticky thread in this section which is Basschatters happy to help other Basschatters.  If you are still stuck, there is likely to be someone on the list within easy travelling distance.

Edited by Andyjr1515

Hey guys,

I appreciate the responses, however I think I have explained myself poorly.

My main issue is the fact the black circle screw thing on jack hole is STUCK. I cannot remove it and it is preventing me on tightening the input jack. 

I am talking about the thing seen in the first image, the black thing which I used to spin to tighten is the issue.

I have read and seen some information on this issue and it doesn't seem like it comes with its easy fixes, however if anyone has advice please let me know. 

Appreciate the replies anyhow, I shall read them properly and try to make logic of them. 

If the socket is loose on the plate, Sounds like the black nut could be cross thread on the socket... or just can't get enough purchase - what ya using pliers or a nice slim 1/4" socket?

Right tool for the job n all that...

If not a simple case of replace the jack...

Again, where ya bassed!?!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

My guess is the thread in the nut or jack socket is stripped from repeated tightening. The nut is now rotating on the jack socket without locating on the threads to wind off. Or it has located on them cross threaded and is jammed.???

Buying a new socket and jack plate is not the end of the world and relatively cheap if you are able to solder the two wires on, or know someone who can. 

Although I appreciate that even relatively small amounts of money can be too much sometimes. 

I'm sure someone with a little more know how could get it sorted without any new parts though. 

Whereabouts are you? 

This is a cheap and easy fix.

Replacement black socket plate: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254904703742 £2.49 delivered

Switchcraft socket: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224080289916 £3.90 delivered - don't be tempted to get a cheaper one

Snip off the old one and solder in the new one. If you don't have a soldering iron it is worth investing on one but if you ask around someone you know is likely to have one, or if you post where you are located, a fellow basschatter might be able to help.

By the way it is an output socket — not an input.

• Like 1