Why become a member? ×

Quoting a fee

NoRhino

For me it would be:

1. petrol costs for however many vehicles you need to take

2. cost of your time to drive that far

3. normal gig fee

4. food and drink costs if they aren’t being provided

The trick is working out what your time is worth, I would probably be looking at a decent hourly rate for each person in the band for the travelling time but you may think that’s a bit high.

I would personally provide a breakdown for the customer as well, just so they can get an understanding how what it actually entails for you all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJE said:

For me it would be:

1. petrol costs for however many vehicles you need to take

2. cost of your time to drive that far

3. normal gig fee

4. food and drink costs if they aren’t being provided

The trick is working out what your time is worth, I would probably be looking at a decent hourly rate for each person in the band for the travelling time but you may think that’s a bit high.

I would personally provide a breakdown for the customer as well, just so they can get an understanding how what it actually entails for you all.

I have to say that although all your points are valid, I wouldn’t break it down for them other than making them aware of the distance involved.

The price is the price. They’ll book you or they won’t. A detailed breakdown probably won’t sway them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NoRhino said:

I've been asked to quote a fee for a gig that's 150 miles away (3 hours) 

Our normal radius is up to 50 miles.

This gig is for a 5 piece in a small 80 capacity venue.

Echoing others here, but I simply wouldn't contemplate accepting this gig unless there were some pretty significant 'other' reasons for doing so.

For both my 3-piece bands we used Covid as the opportunity to reduce our radius from 40 miles to 30, we charge £300 a pop and - since our diary is already pretty much full for 2022 - we'll be increasing that for 2023. We're in NW London and for all I know you're in the middle of the Scottish Highlands, so perhaps big distances aren't such a turn-off for you, but doing a 300-mile round trip to play to at most 80 people is a complete no-brainer for me.

Just say no. Tell them you're trying to reduce your carbon footprint.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 12:15, Doddy said:

Depends on how much you want to get paid, and if it's worthwhile for you to do the gig.

Personally, I do those kind of miles regularly for gigs but it's not for pub money, and I often get food and accommodation thrown in too.

This. 

Covers or originals?

When I was trying to “make it” we’d play anywhere as long as travel was covered. Was never going to make any money.

Now we’re doing covers, has to pay for itself and then some. Music will never pay me what my job does but that’s ok. 

Thanks everyone. All very valid points.

We discussed it amongst the band and no-one is desperate to go to a venue that small.  Think we need to quote a sizeable fee that covers normal fee plus accommodation and reasonable food.

That will probably count us out and the promoter can always offer us other gigs closer to home.

• Thanks 1