Why become a member? ×

The Andy Wallace/SPX-90 Bass Chorus mixing trick in a pedal

matybigfro

Over the lockdown I went down allot YouTube deconstructing the mix videos and was struck by how often chorus was used on bass not just on old 80's stuff that you imagine but also lots of the 90's alt-rock and nu-metal.

Being born in the 80's it's only more recently I've reconciled myself to that classic Bass Chorus sound ala The cure as for most of my 20's I'd kinda written it off as corny sounding (along with most 90's music)

But hearing how more subtle applications of this affect had been used on everything from Nirvana, Jeff Buckley to Linkin Park and a bunch of the nu-metal era stuff all of which I loved growing up. Along with having some more post-punk talking heads-esque sounding material in a new band that felt like more overt chorusing could work well with the bass

Allot of the video's mention Andy Wallace as the mix engineer and mention that he used a specific symphonic setting on the Yamaha SPX-90 and ever since I've been musing over how to achieve that in a live rig.

For a little while I was using a old Peavey combo that had a crossover and chorus effect that was if not close at least fun, but the amp wasn't really loud enough. So I picked up a EHX Bass Clone on here which is a nice pedal although I find that there's a little bit of EQ scoop when using the crossover function to preserve the low end that must be around 80's as I notice it most when playing a E2.

So wondering what might be the best way to get a much closer to this effect, I toyed with the multi-fx/modelling route as possible being one approach but I really prefer having individual pedals and I feel like if I start into the world f the Quad or Helix I will end up getting lost doing so much effecting that I'll run out of DSP.

So I'm looking for mutli-voice chorus (I'm assuming that will be closer to the Symphonics style of chorus) which still preserves low end so probably has a crossover function.

So far my short list is the Source Audio Gemini and the Iron Ether Polytope. Anyone have any experience with either, or more knowledge about the Symphonic algorithm than me or suggestions of what else might get closer.