Why become a member? ×

BB734A clicky pickup?

41Hz

I’ve just bought a new BB734A which arrived yesterday. Sounds and plays great.

Only issue I have is when I play the D string (and the G to a lesser extent), the pbass pick-up makes a click/clacky sound as my plucking finger touches it, obviously you wouldn’t hear it playing at gig volume, but it is a bit annoying playing at home.

The pick-up covering the D/G string feels a bit loose and I think what is happening is it is getting pushed down a fraction when my finger strikes it then springs back up, clicking on the adjustment screw.

Anyone else had this issue? - I can get rid of it by lowering the pick-up to increase the tension and get it a bit further away from my fingers but then the D string is a bit quiet.

Do these have foam or springs underneath? I’m thinking I could add more foam, or put a small bit of rubber inner tube under the head of the adjustment screw to quieten it down.

I’ve not had this on any other basses including a BB735. Pick-up height is currently about 2.5mm fretting on the 21st fret. Anyone else experienced this?

Edited by 41Hz

Common when covers are loose. 

When you lower the pu the pressure from the under side makes the case tight against the actual bobbin. 

Common cure is to put more pickup foam under the pu. That way there more tension. Of the pu uses springs. On the screws then putting foam under the pu is still OK. 

Or if the covers are on OK just loose on the adjustment then as above will also cure it. And likely give the pu better adjustment range. 

• Thanks 1