Why become a member? ×

Eminence bass setup

SimBass

I've got the opportunity to buy an Eminence, small bodied, fixed neck upright from someone who is selling one locally. I've just been to try it out and the bass looks great, is in great condition, and sounds really good but from my limited experience of playing double bass (mainly of my Stagg EUB) the action was REALLY low and it didn't feel like I could get the same "pull" on the string for pizz jazz which is what I'll be using it for. Whilst it looked and sounded better than my cheap stagg...it certainly wasn't as "wow" as I expected? But it had the distinct impression that it had the ability to be that?

To the point of my post: If I were to buy it, does anyone know if there is any benefit in getting a professional double bass setup done for this small bodied bass as you might for a "real" double bass? The adjustable bridge means I could definitely raise the string but I'm not sure if that's all it needs. Does an Eminence have a sound post which may need adjusting? (I forgot to look)

Any feedback from Eminence owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My Eminence has a sound post and a bass bar, as normal for a DB, albeit obviously in proportion. I'm not sure if the sound post can actually be moved or is glued, I can't tell. As you note, the bridge is adjustable for action; also, both the fingerboard and the bridge are as good for bowing (should you wish to) as those on any DB.

If you expect the unamplified sound of an Eminence to match that of a DB, you'll be disappointed, as it simply doesn't have the size, so it doesn't project as well as a DB and it can't be as loud. Amplified, though, it's fine. My pickup is a Realist, again like on many DBs, only smaller so it fits the Eminence bridge. I wasn't happy with the steel strings it had on from the manufacturer, so I swapped them for Silver Slaps. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

The Eminence soundpost is kept in place by a wood ring glued to the back of the bass, so it's not glued in place but it won't fall over if you take the bridge off. This does mean that the soundpost can't be moved/adjusted as it would in a standard double bass.

The bass may benefit from a fingerboard re-shoot if its overly worn and you're getting buzzes and rattles with your string of choice.

Mine was fully set up before delivery and I haven't felt the need to have it set up in the 12 years I've owned it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the feedback, really appreciated. I think I'll adjust the bridge height to my preference and go from there. Fingerboard is definitely "used" but not damaged so good to know it's a workable piece of ebony if required.

@DanOwens I know what you mean they don't come up much. I actually found this one on Facebook Marketplace of all places. 15mins down the road from my house which is in the middle of the countryside!

• Like 1

I would definitely go for a regular double bass set-up. Mine benefited enormously from it. Ended up taking quite a lot off the fingerboard - mine has side dots so it was a noticeable difference. Before the setup I struggled with getting a decent plucking height versus getting a comfortable string height in the 'money notes' part of the fingerboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am a great fan of the Eminence EUB and bought an up-together, removeable neck version, second hand about 5 years ago. I took it to a string luthier who adjusted it to my requirements. He did shoot the fingerboard a little, new strings, slight bridge adjustment amongst a few other small things. The biggest impact tonally for me was placing a pre-amp before my combo - made a BIG difference. Plays wonderfully and often gets comments on how great it sounds.

Edited by Petey
  • Like 1

I didn't get mine "setup" in the end. I adjusted the bridge which was way too low and it sounded and played loads better.

Then, exactly as you said, I now put it through a Fishman Platinum acoustic preamp and it absolutely sings.

I decided to play it for a bit before paying for a set up but I honestly don't feel the need for the time being

• Like 2