Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD121P volume issue

Instigator

My Markbass CMD121P has a volume issue where it can take up to 20 minutes or so to go from quiet to it's normal volume. I have to crank the gain and master to get a decent amount out and then all of a sudden it will reach normal volume. I've recorded from the DI into a DAW and it's at constant volume even when the speaker volume jumps suddenly up to normal level. Once it's at normal speaker volume it stays there.

Sometimes it takes 20 minutes, sometimes 2 minutes. I've found no sure fire way to get it to normal volume and I've tried the following:

- repeatedly plugging a jack lead in and out of the input socket, as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the speaker lead.

- connecting the FX send and return.

- using different power leads in different parts of the house, as well as rehearsal rooms.

There's no set thing that works, it seems to just be time.

It's over 12 years old so I'm not sure if it's simply an age thing, although I have older guitar amps still going strong.

So should I try to get it repaired, swap the amp out or replace it outright?

Could be a number of things. 

Maybe the fact when it's warm it works fine, suggesting a connection issue? Or a component out of spec until warm?

Again could be a lot of things. 

It works fine after a while so maybe it will be a more economical repair???

To ask have you checked all your leads? 

I did some soldering on a mark bass amp for someone. I said it looked fine. Turned out to be an intermittent lead issue.