Why become a member? ×

EU PRICE/BRITISH PRICE

J66Bass

6 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I buy from Thomann all the time (I'm probably single handedly responsible for their various stock shortages!). Im pretty sure theyre still in the EU and have haven't declared their premises UDI, and they still often undercut sellers in the next town.

This was about 2nd hand goods though, not new items that thomman sell.

10 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

The problem with that is that a business is immediately at a disadvantage. 

You need to be aware of the tax definition of what is business and what isn't.

Not at all. Both the EU and the UK have a system where sellers who operate below a certain turnover do not have to charge VAT (I think in the UK its £85k). 

If you read the EU's statement on VAT and it's purpose it is clearly designed to be a tax collected by sellers and passed on to consumers.   Thus in the EU a 2nd hand bass sold by an individual or even a small trader is VAT free.  A 2nd hand bass imported into the UK however attracts VAT irrespective of the turnover of the seller, and is paid by the customer.

The technical reason for this is because an export is zero rated in the country of export if the destination is outside the EU.  In the case of 2nd hand however the VAT has already been paid once.  Unless the seller is able to claim back the VAT on the export* the item has attracted double taxation.

* it's quite possible to claim back VAT as a private individual.  You simply present your receipt at the counter at the port/airport and declare the goods will be permanently exported. 

8 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Not at all. Both the EU and the UK have a system where sellers who operate below a certain turnover do not have to charge VAT (I think in the UK its £85k). 

If you read the EU's statement on VAT and it's purpose it is clearly designed to be a tax collected by sellers and passed on to consumers.   Thus in the EU a 2nd hand bass sold by an individual or even a small trader is VAT free.  A 2nd hand bass imported into the UK however attracts VAT irrespective of the turnover of the seller, and is paid by the customer.

The technical reason for this is because an export is zero rated in the country of export if the destination is outside the EU.  In the case of 2nd hand however the VAT has already been paid once.  Unless the seller is able to claim back the VAT on the export* the item has attracted double taxation.

* it's quite possible to claim back VAT as a private individual.  You simply present your receipt at the counter at the port/airport and declare the goods will be permanently exported. 

All hail the 'expert'. 🙂

There are EU countries where the registration threshold, for a start, is nil. How does that work then? I'm afraid your 'man down the pub' advice is not correct in every respect.

16 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That was never really that much of an issue - I did several pre-brexit trades and the shipping wasn't really a problem.

It probably will be now though because goods have to be checked etc. in ways they weren't before Brexit when they could move freely in and around EU countries. So it could be slower, more costly, more chance of error in paperwork slowing things down... Especially with second hand goods sent by private individuals. 

34 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

It probably will be now though because goods have to be checked etc. in ways they weren't before Brexit when they could move freely in and around EU countries. So it could be slower, more costly, more chance of error in paperwork slowing things down... Especially with second hand goods sent by private individuals. 

Indeed - that was the point, it is a problem now but wasn't before brexit.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

There is a union which exists primarily to make borders within Europe of the minimum consequence, but 'we' didn't like that, and have chosen to strengthen our borders instead. Travel and trade will be the most immediately affected by that decision.

Correction - our borders are very weak, we aren't checking much that comes in, we have chosen to stop ourselves exporting with anyone close to us.

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

All hail the 'expert'. 🙂

There are EU countries where the registration threshold, for a start, is nil. How does that work then? I'm afraid your 'man down the pub' advice is not correct in every respect.

If you have something to clarify that's not correct in my answer be my guest, but don't simply try to insult me.

23 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I buy from Thomann all the time (I'm probably single handedly responsible for their various stock shortages!). Im pretty sure theyre still in the EU and have haven't declared their premises UDI, and they still often undercut sellers in the next town.

That being the case I think your grievance is as much with the seller than any general situation regarding being in the EU or otherwise. The likes of Thomann show what can be done. Whether its an enormous administrative ball ache for them is a discussion for another thread, but they demonstrate that there is nothing inherently wrong with the prices they can supply to external EU customers.

Private sellers are a different kettle of aquatic life entirely, and wherever they are on the globe can often have ridicuous ideas about the worth of their wares. Again, that's down to sellers being greedy/chumps/taking valuation advice from Dave down the pub and little to do with their chosen country of residence.

If you found it cheaper in Japan and can get it delivered, then why the moan in the first place?  Just buy it and enjoy it. Life is too short to spend it whittling about inconsequential rubbish.

Correct , cheers to that 😂

15 hours ago, ambient said:

It’s sad that people are making fun of the post.

Yep, gone are the days of easy trade from the UK to the EU, and vice versa.

I agreed , clearly the brexiter still believe they haven’t been conned , but we all have been…best is to ignore by laughing 

• Like 1