Why become a member? ×

What acoustic combo amp?

Storky

I play acoustic bass in a band and am considering a new combo, maybe around 200 watts, so I can play small bars etc. I’m thinking of an acoustically focused amp. I’m looking at AER, PJB, or Acoustic Image. Does anyone have opinions on any of these, or other suggestions I should be considering?

Having had an AER I can say they are excellent as are PJB and Acoustic Image, both of which I have played through with both acoustic bass and acoustic guitar but all three were easily beaten by a powered speaker and a good preamp. I use a QSC K12.2 and used to use a Fishman Platinum Pro until I got a HX Stomp. The Stomp and the QSC is, by a country mile, the best set up I’ve ever had for playing in my acoustic duo, I’ll never look at a trad amp/cab or combo again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Having had an AER I can say they are excellent as are PJB and Acoustic Image, both of which I have played through with both acoustic bass and acoustic guitar but all three were easily beaten by a powered speaker and a good preamp. I use a QSC K12.2 and used to use a Fishman Platinum Pro until I got a HX Stomp. The Stomp and the QSC is, by a country mile, the best set up I’ve ever had for playing in my acoustic duo, I’ll never look at a trad amp/cab or combo again.

Thanks for the comment; very interesting. I do have the Fishman platinum pro, but that’s really good advice based on personal experience; I’ll investigate further 🤔 thanks again 

7 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I also use Fishman Platinum Pro and a QSC, the K10.2. Great setup for acoustic basses and also any other basses you might have as well as acoustic guitars!

Thanks for that, the FRFR solution seems a popular and successful solution. My slight reservation is that I didn’t want a large speaker cab and some of the little acoustic combos seem very neat. I’m not really sure how large these QSC cabs are in comparison 🤔

1 hour ago, Storky said:

Thanks for that, the FRFR solution seems a popular and successful solution. My slight reservation is that I didn’t want a large speaker cab and some of the little acoustic combos seem very neat. I’m not really sure how large these QSC cabs are in comparison 🤔

814940B3-6B9E-4C10-9AEC-3006033269E5.thumb.jpeg.d763e1480715c62941cb9325dde2c8f2.jpeg

E3630AC1-64E5-4842-94E7-DEEFB8C5973C.thumb.jpeg.51b1bd02a3bb8437ae62f8b1eda4ea7b.jpeg

4C13A9C6-AABA-493D-B3DC-E39D59B84C82.thumb.jpeg.e39a67c1841b9d2f49d1e3a65725e2ff.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank

Bit late to this.

I use Phil Jones Double4's to amplify my woodwind instrument.

For on stage monitoring these are wonderful. Great sound and so easy to transport. This is when I'm going through a house PA

However I'm planning more shows where the audience/stage relationship is slightly different and greater amplification is required. The "stage" sound is the sound in the whole space.

I recently got a Yamaha DBR12 and just as the others have said about their QSCs I simply don't see why I would buy a "bass amp" again.

Oodles of power, wonderful bass extension and very articulate mids.

Oh and £370 delivered......

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Woodwind said:

Bit late to this.

I use Phil Jones Double4's to amplify my woodwind instrument.

For on stage monitoring these are wonderful. Great sound and so easy to transport. This is when I'm going through a house PA

However I'm planning more shows where the audience/stage relationship is slightly different and greater amplification is required. The "stage" sound is the sound in the whole space.

I recently got a Yamaha DBR12 and just as the others have said about their QSCs I simply don't see why I would buy a "bass amp" again.

Oodles of power, wonderful bass extension and very articulate mids.

Oh and £370 delivered......

Thanks for the input. I also have the PJB double 4 which I use at home and am very happy with it for practice. It does look like I should seriously consider the FRFR route.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Storky said:

Thanks for the input. I also have the PJB double 4 which I use at home and am very happy with it for practice. It does look like I should seriously consider the FRFR route.

At the show I played earlier this month, I ran two double4's down the length of the room and had the yamaha next to me.

The double4's did such a good job!

I have built tilt back stands for them so they can be used vertically, but inclined.

What I'd love is something that sounds like a double4, maintains the small form factor, but (much) louder.

I'd imagine two phil jones c4s and one of their new classD amps would be close to this, but way more than I could afford to spend.

The tilt back on the PA speakers is very handy.

9 hours ago, Storky said:

At the show I played earlier this month, I ran two double4's down the length of the room and had the yamaha next to me.

The double4's did such a good job!

I have built tilt back stands for them so they can be used vertically, but inclined.

What I'd love is something that sounds like a double4, maintains the small form factor, but (much) louder.

I'd imagine two phil jones c4s and one of their new classD amps would be close to this, but way more than I could afford to spend.

The tilt back on the PA speakers is very handy.