Why become a member? ×

Getting Finger Tone with Pick

Guest BassAdder27

I know the question of getting pick tone with fingers is often talked about but …

What about getting finger tone while using a pick ?? Possible with EQ ?

Im heading to the studio to record some rock songs and as a finger player who also plays well with a pick wondered if the pick would benefit the recoding if I can get the tone close 

Depends on the pick and depends on the fingers. 

In my case the tonal difference between the two is minimal (I have hardened finger tips on my plucking had and favour soft-ish nylon picks) and in a band mix essentially zero. For me the reason for picking one playing style over another is mostly down to rhythmic feel.

Buy a leather pick! I was given one as a gift and it works quite well with a couple of twists of the EQ controls to suit. 

The one I have is large and rather thick, I can't seem to find who made it. A quick google has shown up lots of other options though. Maybe worth buying a few and having a play! 

I had to use a pick for several years after a motorcycle accident damaged a tendon in my right hand. I had been exclusively a finger player for about 40 years until that. 

It didn't feel the same, but I got used to it. When I listen to recordings of my playing from my 'pick years' I have to check the date to see if I was using pick or fingers, as I can't tell the difference.

Personally I think what the pick does is gives more attack. As suggested something not so hard will sound more like fingers. I am predominantly a finger style player and I always want the attack of a pick without having to grip one. I've seen wooden picks which would give less attack.

My default playing setting is sort of plucking with the side of my thumb. But a felt pick will give me a similar sound, even though the feel is totally different. 

I think it’s the lack of attack that a felt pick gives that gives it more of a ‘finger’ sound. Your mileage may vary though. T’s and C’s apply, etc...

2 hours ago, Dood said:

Buy a leather pick! I was given one as a gift and it works quite well with a couple of twists of the EQ controls to suit. 

The one I have is large and rather thick, I can't seem to find who made it. A quick google has shown up lots of other options though. Maybe worth buying a few and having a play! 

Felt mandolin picks would also work well I reckon. 

It sounds like they'd be too soft but they're really quite firm. 

Worth trying some different picks anyway, just in case you find something you like that you never knew existed. 

Edit: Just beaten too it. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

I've used a rubber pick before now.  Also leather, but the rubber one was closest to finger tone.

Also using the fat end of a normal pick gives less attack, but not quite the same thing.

I'm really trying to improve my fingerstyle but, man, it is taking sooo long. :D 

I once got a dodgy pick in a set of Dunlop Primetones (3mm). The pick wasn’t actually dodgy, it was just that an incorrect one had got in (bit cheeky considering they’re £8.99 a pack of three! I should have complained). The wrong’un was one of their rounded/blunt versions. I find that that pick and a change of attack gets me pretty close, without fiddling with any knobs. 

The 5mm version might be even better.

• Like 1

It's hard to describe, but here goes...

Use a large pick, moderately heavy. I use Dunlop Tortex Triangle 1mm.

Instead of plucking the string with the flat of the pick, angle the pick so you're striking it obliquely, about 30 or 40 degrees edge on. That starts to get you in the ballpark.

It takes a lot of practice for it to come naturally, and there is a bit more to it than just that. Speed, the power behind the strike, etc, all come into play, but the attack angle is the biggest part of it.  Hard to describe, although doubtless easy to show.

I have a nerve injury which means I can't feel 2 fingers on my plucking hand (-thisnisnwhy my typidhh is so baad). As a result my playing simply wasn't advancing because I can't command my fingers to reliably do what was needed. 3 years ago I gave up and got heavily pick playing and experimenting with differing techniques.  We were in the studio in January (producers like pick players, they find each note more uniform and consistent - not sure that's necessarily a good thing muself) and I did a bit of both, although always with the pick for the money takes.  Listening back afterwards I can't tell the difference between fingers and pick - after 3 years my pick playing passes the taste test.

With lots of practice and dogged persistence it can be done. It took me a good solid 2 years to get there.  It's not a panacea, there will always be finger techniques out of reach to the pick and vice versa, but for typical, normal, NATO standard playing it can indeed be done.

• Like 1

I'm still searching for the perfect pick, I'm almost exclusively finger style and can get plenty of attack with nails/hard skin but appreciate that sometimes to get that 'feel' you need a pick.  I always struggle to get the level of control on volume with a pick and generate too much string noise, especially if I use a thick pick.  

Flats on a P and a pick? Whats not to like !

That's great, @BassAdder27 - I would suggest you keep plenty of top on your amp and then throttle back your tone control on the P to get just the required amount of click.

Also, look into palm muting if you're not already using this technique. Not something to use all the time, but can be great on certain types of song.  🙂

14 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Flats on a P and a pick? Whats not to like !

That's great, @BassAdder27 - I would suggest you keep plenty of top on your amp and then throttle back your tone control on the P to get just the required amount of click.

Also, look into palm muting if you're not already using this technique. Not something to use all the time, but can be great on certain types of song.  🙂

Thanks and yep I’m ok with palm muting too 

On 16/02/2022 at 21:25, Twincam said:

I think i have the answer.

Trying holding your index finger between your thumb and middle finger and use that as a pick haha 😄 

I'm just being daft btw

Not as stupid as that sounds as it’s something I used to do, kinda. Always finger player and could never use a pic but mimicking the holding of the plec id use my index finger/nail as the plec. Worked a treat but obviously not every song just now and again if needed. All the time would result in a bloody stump 😂