Why become a member? ×

Fender Deluxe P Bass Special - MIM Active or Passive - which is better .............. and why?

Pirellithecat

I've seen various discussions on the Fender Deluxe P Bass Specials over the years, but just can't remember what the verdict was and why?   Am I right in thinking that these MIM models are very well regarded, and would one fill the craving for a P Bass with Jazz(ish) neck (plus a bit of additional tone flexibility when needed)?   Is there a good reason not to go for the  Passive rather than Active version?   Any pointers gratefully received.

Ta 

This one?

It used to be my favorite when I was still inexperienced.

Nice enough bass except for the Jazz pickup.

Yes, bad match with the P pickup, just like so many people say.

Wouldn't buy one today even at half price, especially since there are so many better alternatives out there.

Sorry.

th.jpeg-468.jpg

I got one of the '02 passive models (the one with the matte finish) in a trade last year, and I've been using it on gigs most weeks. 

I'll disagree with the above point about the Jazz pickup being a bad match. It's not that bad at all. I mainly use the Precision pickup solo'ed, but the Jazz pickup adds some nice top end for slapping. 

I really like the bass. It sounds like a Precision and it has a Jazz neck, which I prefer. It plays and sounds great.

20211030_173634.jpg

My P Deluxe Special from around 2016 is my go to bass.

Slim neck, versatile 3 band preamp that can be switched off for passive mode, tonally it covers a lot of ground.

The one slightly odd thing about that version is that there's no tone control in passive mode. Doesn’t bother me but would probably be a deal breaker for anyone wanting to roll the tone down for a more old school sound.

I had the active one briefly. Poor quality of fit and finish, nut too high, swirl marks all over the maple fretboard, poor neck alignment. Plugged in it was very polite and EQ sounded artificial and not particularly musical. It went back pretty quickly. IMHO if you’re looking for a P with and added J pickup, maybe a passive version would be better (American Performer isn’t much more).

7 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

SB-2 isn't exactly a P bass is it? Different style pickups in different positions.

Hotter P bass until you roll off the tone on the neck pickup.

Can't think of any Fender PJ I'd rather have, though.

Maybe a Lakland or Yamaha might be a better choice for a vintage tone.

Edited by jd56hawk

I have two of the active ones from different eras - one from 04/05 (red) which is just a straight active model and then a second from 14/15ish (green) when the active/passive switch, hi-mass bridge and 18v preamp were introduced. 

Both great, the newer model is probably the higher quality bass, but I’m less attached to it.

Some playing videos with each below:

• Like 3

No problem. I should say there are two watchouts based on my experiences

1. Generally the J pickup has a massive drop in output on both basses - I NEVER have it soloed, but, when used as a blend with the P you can get some lovely tones out of it (IIR the Bloodclot and Boiled Frogs covers both have the pickup blend in the mid point) 

2. On the modern version, when you switch to passive there is no tone control, so all of your tone shaping options are in active only. 

You also asked about the necks - they are skinny. The modern version has a flatter fingerboard radius so the back of the neck feels marginally wider to me, but it’s very slight. 

• Like 1

I tried one recently but can add little to what's already been said. I have the Ultra PJ and was a little relieved the Jazz P/U was so weak. It was one of the few advantages the Ultra had over the Deluxe which was a shock considering the price difference. Loved the neck, again quite close to the Ultra in feel. Weight was good too. If you generally favour the split coil I don't think the single coil is a big issue. Definitely good value.

I also had one of the active ones but the preamp went faulty so I replaced everything with EMGs and a 2 band BTC System EQ. Also managed to fit 2 9v batteries in the rear cavity by putting them in sideways.

Fantastic bass and what started my love for EMG pickups

Allegedly these basses also had the same neck as the Geddy Lee Jazz which had recently moved production from Japan to Mexico. It certainly was nice and slim.

Certainly nothing beginner about these basses

DSC03744.JPG

DSC03758.JPG

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2