Why become a member? ×

Bedroom amp for my son

GrimUpNorth

Hi, 

Note - I've never played a guitar so have zero knowledge on these things! I'm after a steer.

My son has just started to play the bass - a Yamaha trbx174 and a friend has lent us a Vox Amplug.

He's signed up to Bassbuzz "beginner to badass" and he is loving it (especially when stood up with the guitar strapped on, playing in front of the mirror. Yes son you look cool.)

Anyways he would like a "bedroom" amp. We are in a detached bungalow so no hassling the neighbours.....only the parents.

I'm thinking of getting something second hand (budget up to £100) and there are quite a few on eBay. I've got my eye on a couple of Fender Rumble LT25's but would something like these two be better - assuming the price isn't bid too high - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-MicroBass-Amp-20W-Combo-Mint-still-boxed-c-w-Headphones-socket-/304358542565?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Max-110-Bass-Combo-Amp-hardly-used-excellent-condition-/255384421516?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Or....do I just buy something new which comes with a guarantee and warranty -

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Hartke-HD-25-Combo-/art-BAS0007366-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3rKQBhCNARIsACUEW_aa2SyE6emVr_ypP_tcgnMKLTHPzpwFLsFQvr0-OMR_R_C9r02QiUIaAl7sEALw_wcB

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ashdown-studio-8-super-lightweight-30w-bass-combo-amp?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3rKQBhCNARIsACUEW_aAS1HCc4vJ6FCP8G46sHxifTc_TRREAQm-0aC76CFoGWDyEJ7csq0aAoNAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know the Fender Rumble 40 gets a lot of love but his bedroom is quite small so atm I'm not sure if waiting for something like that to come up is a good idea....(10 v 8 inch speaker) or if it would be overkill.

I'm working on the assumption if he sticks at playing and wants to play with others he will need a bigger amp, but that's down the road.

Apologies this is a but rambling but any help would be much appreciated.

I'm sure someone else will be able to give better advice than me, but I have the Rumble 25 for bedroom playing and it is more than powerful enough. The LT25 has more features than the 25, so is more expensive. It depends on whether or not he would need all those features.

• Like 1

They’ll all fit the bill nicely, but what music does your son like/play? If rock & metal he might want a sound with gain/drive so an amp with that capability would be good. I know the Fender Rumbles have on-board gain/drive, as do the Ampeg BA amps. 

I’ve got the Hartke HD15 and I like it.

I bought it for it’s physical size (it’s easy to take away with us when the car is packed to the gunnels with suitcases full of clothes that my wife thinks she might need…). I think it’s plenty loud enough for a bedroom, especially if you’re trying not to disturb other people in the house. The Aux input allows you to play along with stuff on your phone or whatever, if you plug it in. And it has a headphone output, too. I have other, much larger amps (in physical size and watts), but the HD15 still has its place for me. We’re currently moving house and my other amps won’t be here for another couple of weeks; I have my HD15 with me and it’s all I need right now.

It’s also well under your budget. What you save can go towards an upgrade in the future, which, if you buy anything under 100w, is inevitable.

Another amp to look out for on the second hand market, is the Laney RB3. My mate bought one last year for about what my HD15 cost me new. His RB3 is a cracking amp and, because it’s Laney they tend to go for considerably less than the Fender Rumble.

4 hours ago, KingBollock said:

I’ve got the Hartke HD15 and I like it.

I bought it for it’s physical size (it’s easy to take away with us when the car is packed to the gunnels with suitcases full of clothes that my wife thinks she might need…). I think it’s plenty loud enough for a bedroom, especially if you’re trying not to disturb other people in the house. The Aux input allows you to play along with stuff on your phone or whatever, if you plug it in. And it has a headphone output, too. I have other, much larger amps (in physical size and watts), but the HD15 still has its place for me. We’re currently moving house and my other amps won’t be here for another couple of weeks; I have my HD15 with me and it’s all I need right now.

It’s also well under your budget. What you save can go towards an upgrade in the future, which, if you buy anything under 100w, is inevitable.

Another amp to look out for on the second hand market, is the Laney RB3. My mate bought one last year for about what my HD15 cost me new. His RB3 is a cracking amp and, because it’s Laney they tend to go for considerably less than the Fender Rumble.

Ah just had a look and seen this....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-guitar-bass-amp-amplifier-RB3-/175147964537?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

4 hours ago, GrimUpNorth said:

Thanks for the replies.

He's into all sorts but Metallica, Radiohead and Kendrick Lamar are favourites!

I have a feeling whatever he gets (within reason) will suffice but thought I'd ask the experts here before jumping in.

You’re right, all those mentioned will meet the brief. However, I do recommend the Fender Rumble range, great sounding compact lightweight combos, and when he comes to upgrading will get a fair return on the outlay. 

Do not get the peavey microbass. They are truly bad, in that they sound like a 90s alarm clock in fidelity or lack of. 

And also avoid the vox pathfinder bass amp. As that is truly awful in the same vain. 

I think a combo amp with a 10 inch speaker would be better than any with an 8 inch as they just reproduce bass better. This is not always true as there some great, but normally much more expensive combos with small speakers. But in a inexpensive combo I feel getting a larger combo with 10, 12 or even 15 is better even at modest volumes.

If your tone is bad because of the amp, at the very get go, then it's not very inspiring. 

I managed to pick up a Marshall MB15 locally through Gumtree, and what a thoroughly brilliant little amp it is. I'm well impressed with it. Even though it's "only" 15w, it's still loud in the house.

There's always something like the Blackstar Fly Bass, or the Laney version that get great reviews.

As long as you avoid the really really small stuff like the battery power amps then the class above that (the ones you've linked to) are pretty much all good enough. The Fender rumbles are super popular, I've not played the smaller ones but my 800 was amazing, maybe look at those slightly preferentially. 

• Like 1

This is not a once and for all purchase, so I wouldn't agonise over it too much. Most small practice/starter combos from decent manufacturers (Fender, Hartke, Blackstar, etc, etc) will be much of a muchness. I would suggest you stick to readily available, popular models. When you do want to upgrade, which is inevitable with a practice/starter amp, they are easy to move on. I'd look for something with at least a 10" speaker. 

On 17/02/2022 at 08:44, BassAdder27 said:

One of the old Ampeg BA108 combo amps would be a good choice 

I have the BA110 for upstairs use and they are great low cost amps 

I have exactly this. It’s awesome

its loud, has a headphone socket, line-in, active/passive and it says AMPEG on it 

Edited by Geek99

On 19/02/2022 at 04:21, Downunderwonder said:

The later 12'' Fender Rumble 100 can keep up with a drummer and a guitar if they aren't crazy loud. Save yourself having to upgrade in 6 weeks time.

They are the ones people upgrade with a better driver unit, ain’t they?  Quite fancy one as I like the format of a combo with a 12” driver.

Not the Peavey Microbass which I started out with. They are fine in that they make a noise and are bulletproof but they just don't make a satisfying noise. Lot's of deep bass and knowing you can go loud if you want to is really fun and for a bassist still satisfying even now. He's going to play more and practice more if it sounds good. 

I'd probably go for a used combo from one of the 'known' brands. I sold a Hartke Kickback 10 a couple of months ago for £100 only £25 less than I'd paid for it 10 years earlier so £2.50 per year. It sounded really nice, wasn't too big and I even gigged with it a couple of times. Ashdown, Fender and the like all offer similar options and a named amp will sell on really easily compared with something less well known for bass.

I have a Fender Rumble LT25 in the bedroom and it's a very good practice amp. I picked one up second hand in an 'as new' condition for £120. Cheaper examples may be available.

There's a lot going for it compared to the plain Rumble 25 in that it has 50 programable patches which can be edited with a computer using the Fender Tone app. It has 20 effects, 15 amp sims and a built-in tuner. There's an Aux input and a headphone out as well as USB connectivity which can be used to program it, update firmware and also output to record straight into a DAW. It's a versatile amp that covers everything a new user would need in a compact unit.

• Like 1