Why become a member? ×

Storing Amp in a Garage

SuperSeagull

I'm considering storing my MB combo in my garage to save lugging it up and down stairs for rehearsals / gigs - I've an Ashdown I can use in my music room for practice. Just a bit concerned about temperatures though. The garage is detached, a sealed concrete floor and has previously had rockwall insulation behind plasterboard and an insulated ceiling fitted. It is dry but it does get cold. Is that likely to be an issue for amp or speaker?

The problem lies when you take it from the cold into the warm and that results in condensation inside. That can cause component failure. If what you call cold is still above freezing it probably won't matter. What I call cold is well below freezing and I don't leave gear where that occurs. That said I'm headed out for my daily walk, where it's a balmy -7C.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The problem lies when you take it from the cold into the warm and that results in condensation inside. That can cause component failure. If what you call cold is still above freezing it probably won't matter. What I call cold is well below freezing and I don't leave gear where that occurs. That said I'm headed out for my daily walk, where it's a balmy -7C.

Not that cold! And above freezing. 

21 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

That said I'm headed out for my daily walk, where it's a balmy -7C.

I spent a year on exchange at the University of Wisconsin and remember thinking it was really warm outside when it barely got back up to zero during the spring thaw!

Oh, and to stay on topic I keep speaker cabs in my garage but nothing more than that.

Edited by franzbassist

Our PA is stored in my garage. Yes everything is either flightcased or lives under fitted covers and its been this way for the last ten years without problems. That said, my bass amps all live in the house as they are older and more likely to be temperamental.

I’ve had a couple of amps stored in my detached garage over winter. It’s dry, but cold. Admittedly these are little Fender handwired guitar amps, but the first one I switched on in order to test it before selling did make a lot of noise. It’s probably down the the fibreboard circuit absorbing moisture. I left the amp switched on in the house for a day and it settled right down. Personally, I’m not going to keep amps out there going forward.

In my mind the biggie is to let the speaker cabinets warm up to room temperature before you try to use them. I left my two 2x10 Acme cabinets overnight at sub zero temperatures in my van. The next evening I set them up and without thinking dropped a Low B into them. This cracked a surround on one driver in each cabinet. let me tell you THAT was a long, long night. :(

I have stored a lot of my stuff in my unheated garage for many years with out a problem.  They are off the floor on dollies and mostly enclosed by covers.