Why become a member? ×

Anyone know of any short jazz bass bridge pickups?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I'm fixing up a bass with PJ pickups that has a dead J pickup (the bit the windings are connected to is actually snapped off so probably not worth trying to repair).

The plan was to drop in a set of EMG-X PJs I have that were recently removed from another bass, but but the EMG J pickup is too long. The original bridge pickup is only 92mm long rather than the standard 95mm and there's not a lot of wiggle room in the pickup route so anything about 94mm or more won't fit. I don't want to take a dremel to the the EMG pickup or try to widen the route as I know it won't look good, so I'm going to look for a passive pickup instead.

Does anyone know of a Jazz bass bridge pickup (up to about the cost of a tonerider) that has the same pole spacing and mounting nubs spacing as a standard bridge pickup, but is only as long as a neck pickup.

This pic shows the dimensions of the desceased pickup which needs to be replaced. Its the same as a standard bridge pickup except shorter.

pickup.thumb.jpg.ea34c0baeb99533786c9b45ded2ecf99.jpg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
updated pic

• Jean-Luc Pickguard changed the title to Anyone know of any short jazz bass bridge pickups?

I managed to resolve this without buying new pickups.

The route was only a tiny amount too small for the EMG-JX so I carefully used a very small flat file to remove a fraction of a mm from each end and tidied up the corners with a small round file, and the EMG I originally wanted to use now fits - Woo-hoo!

I also have an EMG BTC system eq/preamp which I previously used with these pickups so I have fitted this as well, however the bass has holes for four pots and the BTC has volume, balance and a stacked bass/treble pot so there's an empty hole. I considered fitting a DFA or producer knob here - ie a spare pot not connected to any thing, but instead I have ordered an EMG kill switch as it looks like a lot of fun for £20

I tested the pickups and BTC with the EMG-supplied switchcraft stereo socket wired in but hanging precariously out of the control cavity, so I still have to solder in the original barrel socket to make it neat. I've lost my box of heat shrink tubing so I can't complete the job yet. I'm hoping that I'll find where I put it before the kill switch arrives.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

• 3 weeks later...