Why become a member? ×

Another P Bass

BassApprentice

So a bit of progress today. 

Stuck up a wanted ad looking for parts and think I've for an aged looking bridge on the way courtesy of @Rumple and have just organised getting that HB neck from @hooky_lowdown

Going to get some sandpaper and strip back the arm rest section a bit more across the next few days. 

After hardware it's next onto pickup choice, not sure which direction I want to go. Cheap and classic Tonerider or maybe something a bit more modern sounding like Aguilar? Have to listen to some samples and see what appeals 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Stuck up a wanted ad looking for parts and think I've for an aged looking bridge on the way courtesy of @Rumple and have just organised getting that HB neck from @hooky_lowdown

Going to get some sandpaper and strip back the arm rest section a bit more across the next few days. 

After hardware it's next onto pickup choice, not sure which direction I want to go. Cheap and classic Tonerider or maybe something a bit more modern sounding like Aguilar? Have to listen to some samples and see what appeals 

I hope I’m not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but I think the best way to achieve a natural(ish) look to forearm wear, would be to to attach a piece of fine grade sandpaper to the forearm and pretend to play it. Otherwise, it can look all a bit ‘belt sander’ relic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

I hope I’m not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but I think the best way to achieve a natural(ish) look to forearm wear, would be to to attach a piece of fine grade sandpaper to the forearm and pretend to play it. Otherwise, it can look all a bit ‘belt sander’ relic.

Either that or just play it at sweaty gigs. About 5 years should produce the desired effect. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

See my “relic refuge” thread for ideas ?

• Like 1

Whilst waiting on parts to arrive I've been thinking more about pickups (can you tell I'm on annual leave 🤔😅

Think I've narrowed it down to either Dimarzio or picking up a G&l MFD. Very different tonally but think I would be happy with either, I guess the Dimarzio is a bit more traditional sounding with the G&L being very modern and less P bass

10 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Think I've narrowed it down to either Dimarzio or picking up a G&l MFD. Very different tonally but think I would be happy with either, I guess the Dimarzio is a bit more traditional sounding with the G&L being very modern and less P bass

In case you're not aware, G&L place their MFD split pickups slightly closer to the bridge than is the standard P spot, ⅜" / 9½mm iirc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

In case you're not aware, G&L place their MFD split pickups slightly closer to the bridge than is the standard P spot, ⅜" / 9½mm iirc

Interesting, so if I went down this route it wouldn't quite sound like the SB-2. I'm a huge fan of G&L and I like the passive on steroids idea so might go with it anyway. Thanks for the info though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Interesting, so if I went down this route it wouldn't quite sound like the SB-2. I'm a huge fan of G&L and I like the passive on steroids idea so might go with it anyway. Thanks for the info though! 

Here's a video of four different splits being demoed on the same bass inc. a G&L MFD, a Fender alnico, and a Dimarzio I think I read they made for Ibanez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a while. Not much progress as I've been doing other bits.

Decided I didn't like the neck finish so changed it a wee bit. Still happy with the worn patches but the Cedar varnish I used didn't work so used a Pine colour and think it looks much more natural now.

PXL_20220504_123129916.jpg

PXL_20220504_123127228.jpg

PXL_20220504_123121147.jpg

PXL_20220504_123114949.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In keeping with the vintage theme, I was waiting for a set of older tuners with a bit of patina on them as I know ageing modern chrome tuners is difficult.

@ead had the perfect set from his Greco, just old enough to have lost the shine which is perfect. Just a couple of bits left now!

PXL_20220527_084257169.jpg

PXL_20220527_084300369.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And it is done (almost), very pleased with how it looks.

Think the machineheads need a wee tweak as they aren't all at the same resistance. Never put together a p bass, so how important is a string tree for the D and G strings? Will order one anyways since the hole is there. Strung up with Chromes for now, will let them settle overnight and see what I need to do tomorrow 

PXL_20230524_175744878.jpg

PXL_20230524_175748593.jpg

PXL_20230524_175753249.jpg

PXL_20230524_173126469.MP.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

@Reggaebass yup, although without the string tree, the G is under some real tension, more so than the other strings which is is a bit off.

Looks great and I imagine it sounds good too , I might have a string tree in my workshop but I’m not there till Friday, you can have it if I have