Why become a member? ×

I don't often say Fender and Wow in the same sentence but...

jd56hawk

Just now, skej21 said:

They don’t “do” anything. It’s just terminology. Like saying to Limelight or Bravewood “I want X paint job but with a ‘light relic’”… but instead of that being a subjective term, Fender have clear definitions of what the five or six options are so you’re both clear on what you’ve asked for.

Stating “I want X bass with an NOS finish” means they will make you a bass with a finish that is as-new, irrespective of whether the bass is vintage spec (spec like old stock) - hence ‘NOS’

Light relic is fine though, I can imagine exactly what that would be.  Levels of relic are fine.  I don't understand how NOS is a level of relic, given by its nature NOS is as-new.

Just now, Kev said:

Its just misleading.  Claiming something is NOS, when in fact is just, well, isn't. There are plenty of phrases they could have used.  Isn't closet classic something similar? Meaningless phrase outside of Fender, but at least it doesnt specifically mean something it isn't. 

Also, I thought I read a description somewhere saying "NOS treatment".  So, again, what is that?  What "treatment" is done to the finish to make it NOS?

Well I agree. Although equally it’s not.

NOS I believe is misleading, because (as mentioned by others), the term is often used in other musical contexts to refer to stock that’s been protected and preserved. Fender’s use is more like saying “you’re asking for the spec of old (ie not a production model, like an American Original which has vintage specs but can be bought off the shelf) but you also want a ‘brand new’ finish, so it’s NOS”

I think ‘Closet Classic’ and ‘Heavy Relic’ and most of their other definitions of applied finish options are probably a little bit clearer, but then you could have the same argument about anyone applying an alteration to an immaculate finish (how do you know what a ‘distressed’ or ‘light relic’ means when it’s such a subjective term and you’re ordering a custom instrument from any manufacturer?)

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

Its just misleading.  Claiming something is NOS, when in fact is just, well, isn't. There are plenty of phrases they could have used.  Isn't closet classic something similar? Meaningless phrase outside of Fender, but at least it doesnt specifically mean something it isn't. 

Also, I thought I read a description somewhere saying "NOS treatment".  So, again, what is that?  What "treatment" is done to the finish to make it NOS?

It’s not that misleading it clearly states it in the marketing blurb:

“They have mastered the art of ageing guitars and offer several levels of wear and tear: Closet Classic, Lush Closet Classic, Journeyman Relic, Relic and Heavy Relic. If you prefer your guitar pristine and shiny then there is the New Old Stock (NOS) option”.

My reading of that would be period correct including the paint job but looks like you have a time machine and travelled back to the 50’s or whatever and bought it then.

Edit: Personally I would just buy a used Vintera. Great instruments and a fraction of the cost.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

The bass, the finish, the woods used, none of it is "Old Stock".  Maybe if they were using a pot of finish/paint from the 60s, or woods from the 60s. Or something that qualifies the word "Old" being used.  Before reading this thread, had I saw a Fender Custom shop bass be described as being NOS, I would have assumed this was a body and/or neck stored in the factory for 50 years, which would be pretty cool and well worth the ££££ to some I'm sure. 

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just still haven't heard a reason why they are using this phrase to describe a finish.  But i realise a byproduct of being unsatisfied with justifications posted is indeed turning out to be argumentative, so I'll stop 😅

Edited by Kev

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

The bass, the finish, the woods used, none of it is "Old Stock".  Maybe if they were using a pot of finish/paint from the 60s, or woods from the 60s. Or something that qualifies the word "Old" being used.  Before reading this thread, had I saw a Fender Custom shop bass be described as being NOS, I would have assumed this was a body and/or neck stored in the factory for 50 years, which would be pretty cool and well worth the ££££ to some I'm sure. 

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just still haven't heard a reason why they are using this phrase to describe a finish.  But i realise a byproduct of being unsatisfied with justifications posted is indeed turning out to be argumentative, so I'll stop 😅

No worries, I’m totally objective about it and just trying to help, so no offence taken at your persistence 🤣

I completely agree that a Fender Custom Shop NOS bass (if you had no knowledge) would make you assume that it was a Custom Shop model they maybe built for someone and had it cancelled and it’s been sat in a case for a few years since!

I suppose Fender are probably just trying to use terminology that’s evocative of history and ‘cool’ era of Fender with names like NOS and Closet Classic, when in reality it could just as easily have been ‘Relic Level 0-6’ or similar! 

23 minutes ago, Kev said:

On the plus side, you now have licence to refer to relics as Old New Stock.

• Haha 1

On 13/02/2022 at 03:07, jd56hawk said:

Saw this one at Russo Music, a local shop.
Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass NOS Rosewood, Faded Shell PinkFender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass with AAA rosewood fingerboard, handwired single-coil pickups, and Fender Custom Shop New Old Stock finish treatment
$4,300.00

Screenshot_20220212-174628_Samsung Internet.jpg

That bridge cover not covering the bridge pickup would bug me

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kev said:

I'm not being facetious, but I still don't understand what they do to a period correct nitro finish to make it "NOS".  Does anyone know?

According to the link quoted the NOS indicates NO relicing done to the finish. Kinda lame but makes sense within their set of descriptions for levels of relicing. Every day a school day.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

According to the link quoted the NOS indicates NO relicing done to the finish. Kinda lame but makes sense within their set of descriptions for levels of relicing. Every day a school day.

No it doesn't make sense, it's just not a reliced bass! 😅

43 minutes ago, Kev said:

No it doesn't make sense, it's just not a reliced bass! 😅

It's a marketing exercise. Non reliced bass sold alongside otherwise identical models that are reliced to varying degrees. This saves on advertising efforts and attracts vastly more attention from potential buyers, the ones who didn't know they wanted a pristine vintage copy until they saw the lineup. The ones that want a NOS will also find it easily.

3 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Me too.

What does it take to drill in the correct places? I've done it myself on a few of mine over the years........never had a problem.

Yes and at that price there is no excuse, on a £200 Squier I could possibly overlook it but not on a bass costing thousands

• Like 1