Why become a member? ×

I don't often say Fender and Wow in the same sentence but...

jd56hawk

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm not a player of the Jazz, but I still think they look incredible - that pink one particularly so.

That said, should the bridge pickup be sticking out that far from the cover?

They do it all the time...60s spacing vs 70s spacing...I think it looks ridiculous.

12 hours ago, Kev said:

I don't understand reliced basses really.  But now, they seem totally rational.

I mean, what do they do to it?  NOS means its finish is as-new, so given the bass is new, the finish is naturally as new.  And presuming they've used a period correct finish for the bass, itll be a replica.  What makes it NOS???

Seriously? Just from how you're (not ) selling it, the finish should appear like it had been applied in 1966 and left on display with nobody playing it for the last 57 years.

19 hours ago, Kev said:

I mean, what do they do to it?  NOS means its finish is as-new, so given the bass is new, the finish is naturally as new.  And presuming they've used a period correct finish for the bass, itll be a replica.  What makes it NOS???

“NOS” - It’s just Fender’s way of labelling the level of relic so you can choose it as an option when creating a custom shop instrument. As you mentioned, it’s meant to be ‘as new’ using vintage methods and materials but without any wear or aging (yellowing etc) applied (like, for example a ‘closet classic’ level relic). It’s essentially like having a master craftsman from any other manufacturer producing their best instrument. Strangely, Fender also  own/run the Gretsch custom shop, which amongst that community is seen as the holy grail of Gretsch.

It’s also strange that nobody ever has this discussion about other high-end builders who produce cheaper, mass-produced ranges (like Gibson, Sadowsky, Lakland, MTD, Overwater etc). Maybe just because Fender’s brand is now so synonymous with their cheaper ranges that people feel aggrieved to pay out ‘custom’ money for the OG Fender spec? 

I’ll remain silently objective and just share the info for anyone that is interested (either way)

883C8D7F-0F5B-44A6-A652-644B2ABF8B23.jpeg

Edited by skej21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, skej21 said:

“NOS” - It’s just Fender’s way of labelling the level of relic so you can choose it as an option when creating a custom shop instrument. As you mentioned, it’s meant to be ‘as new’ using vintage methods and materials but without any wear or aging (yellowing etc) applied (like, for example a ‘closet classic’ level relic). It’s essentially like having a master craftsman from any other manufacturer producing their best instrument. Strangely, Fender also  own/run the Gretsch custom shop, which amongst that community is seen as the holy grail of Gretsch.

It’s also strange that nobody ever has this discussion about other high-end builders who produce cheaper, mass-produced ranges (like Gibson, Sadowsky, Lakland, MTD, Overwater etc). Maybe just because Fender’s brand is now so synonymous with their cheaper ranges that people feel aggrieved to pay out ‘custom’ money for the OG Fender spec? 

I’ll remain silently objective and just share the info for anyone that is interested (either way)

Can you explain to me how it is "reliced"?  Like I said, NOS means it's flawless and like new, so I don't understand what differentiates a NOS laquer finish from a period correct laquer finish on a presumed lower priced instrument.

Edited by Kev

1 hour ago, skej21 said:

Re: other brands - their original higher end brand was always marketed as a boutique instrument - multi-layered laminates with fancy woods, electronics and hardware and a ton of personal attention. What Fender used to produce, even in the holy grail days pre-1965, was a basic workmanlike instrument made in the simplest, cheapest way possible with materials easily available to hand. Wood is not as available as it once was - many manufacturers now have to chamber the body because they cannot get light woods - but other than that any Far Eastern factory can produce a bass that’s every bit the equal of a vintage Fender from the early 60s. What they cannot capture is the mojo or the effect on the bass of being played for 50+ years. The Fender custom shop offers the ability to buy a replica that will be a cut above the regular line in terms of wood and finishing options but it’s still just a nice version of a very simple instrument. To me, paying £4K+ for a basic 3-piece painted body/1 piece neck with a BBOT and a single, very cheap passive pickup and big standard tuners is madness, but it’s clearly doing just fine without me. Then again I’ve never played a Fender I really liked so I’m not their target customer.

Edited by FDC484950
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skej21 said:

From the Fender Custom Shop homepage:

Some people want a '50s or '60s relic but aren't quite manly enough to play a pink bass. We realize that and we do offer all your old favorites like Black, Olympic White, Tobacco Burst, etc.

For those who dare to be different,however, the sky's the limit!

13013013290332f.jpg

th.jpeg-9.jpg

q7kaumzffqihglumuayj.jpg

zpo9or3fl4ouj5hyp9n5.jpg

21 hours ago, Kev said:

Maybe they found a tin of pink paint in Leo's old garden shed.

54 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I'm surprised 'shell pink' hasn't been declared 'Pantone Colour of the Year' yet.  I get that some people genuinely love the colour, but it has become a bit of a fad/trend lately.

I really do like that colour on a bass. I think it might be a while before we get it on BMWs.

54 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

That, and tort pickguards.

Oh those were alway popular for reasons that I have never been able to understand. I guess its like strickly come dancing, a popularity that to me makes no sense!

21 minutes ago, Kev said:

I'm not being facetious, but I still don't understand what they do to a period correct nitro finish to make it "NOS".  Does anyone know?

I don’t think they do anything. As I read it, it is just finished to period correct specs with neither ageing nor relic treatment applied. 

4 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I don’t think they do anything. As I read it, it is just finished to period correct specs with neither ageing nor relic treatment applied. 

That's just shocking then, to be honest.  It just seems to be taking advantage of people who'll get excited by a buzz phrase.  But, I guess more fool those who hand over that kind of money, as clearly many do!

30 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's just shocking then, to be honest.  It just seems to be taking advantage of people who'll get excited by a buzz phrase.  But, I guess more fool those who hand over that kind of money, as clearly many do!

If there is a market for a product then from a business perspective it’s a little foolish not to cater to it. Not sure of the need to judge either the manufacturers or purchasers. Producing anything in smaller quantities costs more. I don’t get the appeal of limited edition trainers or sci-fi boxed models or stamp collecting but if it makes someone happy?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Including Geddy Lee!

But he is a collector., so it is a bit different

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I'm not being facetious, but I still don't understand what they do to a period correct nitro finish to make it "NOS".  Does anyone know?

Its just a fancy name for period correct nitro finish. Its a bit of a cheat as New Old Stock generally means old stock that was never sold, as you get with valves or electronic components, something that was made a long time ago but never sold. These aren't them, these just look like it.

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

But he is a collector., so it is a bit different

Its just a fancy name for period correct nitro finish. Its a bit of a cheat as New Old Stock generally means old stock that was never sold, as you get with valves or electronic components, something that was made a long time ago but never sold. These aren't them, these just look like it.

Sure, but I'm guessing others buy them, too...especially since most of them are custom orders.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Can you explain to me how it is "reliced"?  Like I said, NOS means it's flawless and like new, so I don't understand what differentiates a NOS laquer finish from a period correct laquer finish on a presumed lower priced instrument.

The NOS finish is applied by a really old person.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kev said:

They don’t “do” anything. It’s just terminology. Like saying to Limelight or Bravewood “I want X paint job but with a ‘light relic’”… but instead of that being a subjective term, Fender have clear definitions of what the five or six options are so you’re both clear on what you’ve asked for.

Stating “I want X bass with an NOS finish” means they will make you a bass with a finish that is as-new, irrespective of whether the bass is vintage spec (spec like old stock) - hence ‘NOS’

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

If there is a market for a product then from a business perspective it’s a little foolish not to cater to it. Not sure of the need to judge either the manufacturers or purchasers. Producing anything in smaller quantities costs more. I don’t get the appeal of limited edition trainers or sci-fi boxed models or stamp collecting but if it makes someone happy?

Its just misleading.  Claiming something is NOS, when in fact is just, well, isn't. There are plenty of phrases they could have used.  Isn't closet classic something similar? Meaningless phrase outside of Fender, but at least it doesnt specifically mean something it isn't. 

Also, I thought I read a description somewhere saying "NOS treatment".  So, again, what is that?  What "treatment" is done to the finish to make it NOS?