Why become a member? ×

rackmount distortion units

0175westwood29

hi guys,

im looking for a full on distortion rackmount unit, ive looked into sansamps but they appear to be more directed at overdrive tone.

anyone know the best way to go? tring to cut down on the number of pedals i have? i only want my wah and tuner out front.

i have to spaces left not looking for a multi effect like a pod as there effects there that i will never use, i have considered a voodoo labs pedal swtiching system but this is a bit £££ plus its a bit tight to fit in my 4u rack with my pro-6.

any suggestions?

andy

seems like the bass ones are SWR Interstellar Overdrive, Aguilar Agro -- if you can find/afford them.

maybe try a guitar one? like a rocktron gainiac, blended with a clean signal? or maybe try rackmounting a floor pedal?

or try a something like a regular tube mic preamp -- some of those go into distortion very nicely.

[quote name='sk8' post='458467' date='Apr 9 2009, 02:39 PM']doesn't DHA do a rackmount?[/quote]

Yes and there is a new 1U twin channel overdrive coming out very soon. Making two boxes up this weekend, one is sold and the other is for me.

Also has tuner mute, headphone amp, line-in and valve driven FX loop.

3 DIs - main select signal (red, blue or by-pass) - red channel out and blue channel out (on all the time reguardless of by-pass)

It's a rack mount version of the new VT2-Twin-EQ-Bass but has two extra DI's, FX loop (extra valve), tuner mute and optional footswitch.

There is also my existing VT2-Dual-Custon-Bass in rack mount but I will stop making that once this new VT3-Twin-Bass is complete.

Dave

If you can find one, a rack mount Blue Tube might hit the spot. It's my favourite distortion due to the fact that it allows you to adjust the bias to change the characteristic of the distortion rather than just the amount or tone (though obviously you can you that as well). There's also the Real Tube, which provides more distortion than the Blue Tube but is aimed more at guitarists. Both boost and bypass are switchable from the front or via a footswitch.

They're also to be found in pedal form, only minus the bias control.

Having said that, I've got a VT1 pedal and that's pretty damn good, so a DHA rackmount might be worth looking into. Maybe Dave could put a bypass on the front for you?

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='459220' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:47 PM']If you can find one, a rack mount Blue Tube might hit the spot. It's my favourite distortion due to the fact that it allows you to adjust the bias to change the characteristic of the distortion rather than just the amount or tone (though obviously you can you that as well). There's also the Real Tube, which provides more distortion than the Blue Tube but is aimed more at guitarists. Both boost and bypass are switchable from the front or via a footswitch.

They're also to be found in pedal form, only minus the bias control.

Having said that, I've got a VT1 pedal and that's pretty damn good, so a DHA rackmount might be worth looking into. Maybe Dave could put a bypass on the front for you?[/quote]

all the footswitch controls also have a front panel switch and led so it can be used without the footswitch. All my racks do this.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='459230' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:54 PM']all the footswitch controls also have a front panel switch and led so it can be used without the footswitch. All my racks do this.

Dave[/quote]

i just had a listen to the sound clips on the site, and they sound nice but, again lean more towards the overdrive sound.

ive looked at pedal swtichers, using the md-2 boss pedal as thru bass it sound sweet but it another pedal, and mounting it in my rack is maybe an option but not sure i have enough room in my rack.

andy

right i have a new plan as there really is not a rackmount effects unit that i can find in my price range.

what im gonna do is this probably,

get this

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_rackschublade_2he.htm?sid=cfea37d4850d4f9751bd88d5d09f8bae"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_rackschublad...1bd88d5d09f8bae[/url]

then use it to house any pedals i dnt want out front like these
an md-2,tu-2 and a ceb-3
then i have a lead coming out the back which i can take into my wah wah, and plug my bass into the wah.

and i only have 2 plugs out the bk as i will put a power supply in the drawer to run the pedals.

sound like an idea?

just got the md-2 for 40 quid of the bay :-)
and know got the ceb-3 for 40 quid 2!

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

diago is my choice or and i've used this in the past [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/9v-dc-regulated-power-supply-with-integrated-6-way-daisy-chain-2-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/9v-dc-r...y-chain-2-p.asp[/url] cheap and cheerful

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='464198' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:41 PM'][url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12&zenid=21c221c66f5ec943bf956ab2830ef2f9"]Also the Johnnyshredfreak![/url][/quote]

that would be the one i'd recommend.

[quote name='escholl' post='464324' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:41 PM']that would be the one i'd recommend.[/quote]

I have two of those and they're great. My guitarist has a Diago and I swear they're identical apart from the badge (which is just a sticker anyway). Same markings and everything. I reckon Diago get them from the same far east manufacturer/importer.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='464629' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:12 AM']I have two of those and they're great. My guitarist has a Diago and I swear they're identical apart from the badge (which is just a sticker anyway). Same markings and everything. I reckon Diago get them from the same far east manufacturer/importer.[/quote]
I got one very similar from Australia via ebay and I agree they look to be sourced from the same place. Never had any problems with mine.

im getting into all these effects now! love the chorus! the mega distortion is just ridiculously good, and i just got a little silly fuzz pedal today, the ehx metal muff, it for guitar but gave this insane fuzz that will be wicked for the odd solo/song intro sound really similar to rob Trujillo solo sound.

but sadly i dnt get the clean bass tone underneath the fuzz, still love it tho.

andy