Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady Hollowbody Bass Review

greghagger

I recently got my hands on a Jack Casady Epiphone Hollowbody, it sounds great and is actually a pretty versatile instrument. It’s got a old-school thumping tone to it and sound good played fingerstyle or with a pick. 

I've been in the market for a hollowbody for ages and up to now I haven't found one that feels comfortable to play. But with its 34" scale fretboard, this one feels nice under the fingers and is a keeper.

I've put together a short review video where you can hear what this bass sounds like and what features it has.

I’d love to hear if you've got a hollowbody bass and what you think of this one. Or if you've been thinking about getting a hollowbody bass, what else you've tried out.

https://youtu.be/t9ONW4dRw-M

• Like 4

I’ve never had the chance to try a Jack Casady, but they certainly look good.

l have a Yamaha Bex that, like your JC, is a lot more versatile that you might think.

I did initially have a problem finding a suitable gig bag but eventually tracked down  a Bass Centre model that did the trick.

06569833-3B65-40B8-86C7-55645CFD9F2C.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I’ve never had the chance to try a Jack Casady, but they certainly look good.

l have a Yamaha Bex that, like your JC, is a lot more versatile that you might think.

I did initially have a problem finding a suitable gig bag but eventually tracked down  a Bass Centre model that did the trick.

06569833-3B65-40B8-86C7-55645CFD9F2C.jpeg

Looks great @Len_derby

luckily mine came with a case. I don’t think I’ll have much luck finding a soft case though! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neepheid said:

I'm on my third JC Sig. I only ever sold them for financial reasons. Currently have the 20th Anniversary JC Sig and I hope I can keep hold of it this time!

Wow, you like them that much. Not surprised though!

Hope you manage to keep this one! 

Tried several but the output just seems so low.

Other than that, I go with either of these.  

The Italia Imola is probably my favorite of my four jazz basses and the Dean Exotica acoustic bass is more versatile than most solid-body basses.

(Gotta love the JC in Sapphire Blue, though, and you definitely don't see too many white ones! Very cool video. Nice to see you're using proper strings.)

PhotoCollage_20220212_205335668.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 00:00, greghagger said:

Looks great @Len_derby

luckily mine came with a case. I don’t think I’ll have much luck finding a soft case though! 

Warwick (Rockbag) do suitable ones - look for semi-hollow bass bags of theirs.  I think they're intended to be used with their Starbass models, but I can confirm from experience that they also fit the Jack Casady.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_starline_hollowbody_e_bass_bag.htm - that's the one I had.  There is a cheaper one but with commensurately less protection.

My 20th Anniversary edition came with a gigbag.  Frankly speaking I think all Jack Casady basses should be supplied with a gigbag - this is a £6-700 bass, not cheap by any stretch of the imagination and by providing the bag with the 20th Anniversary it just proves that they can do it when they can be bothered!

• Thanks 1

I love mine, bought it a few weeks ago and she's the veteran of 3 gigs so far - all jazz/swing gigs.  Put a Hipshot Supertone on it as soon as I got it and finished with a set of my usual La Bella 760FS flats (45-105).  I love the 50 setting on the Varitone with the tone control rolled off, just a beautiful plummy tone.  I suspect the 500 setting might work better for pop and rock gigs as it seems to have a bit more poke.  The neck feels great too. All in all, a wonderful bass for the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

I suspect the 500 setting might work better for pop and rock gigs as it seems to have a bit more poke. 

Indeed it does! I've only done one set with mine, and it was string with tapewounds but it was great for pop/ rock stuff. The only reason I didn't use it for the whole set was that I needed to EQ out some really strong volume boosts at some frequencies that I hadn't accounted for. 

I have the Peerless Bassmaster Player which is the JC by another name. Peerless used to make the JC for Epiphone  it I think the quality of this version surpasses the Epi. Yes it is surprisingly versatile for a single pickup Bass. Probably due to the variable impedance output. The only downside I’ve found to date is the neck finish which is too glossy. Haven’t got round to rubbing down yet to a nice satin, but I will.

00EAAAD4-9682-4551-B513-F7DCA3533765.jpeg

I have previously owned a ‘66 Gibson EB2D, a Bach EB2 clone and a Hofner Violin. This knocks spots off all of them.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Added text
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

Warwick (Rockbag) do suitable ones - look for semi-hollow bass bags of theirs.  I think they're intended to be used with their Starbass models, but I can confirm from experience that they also fit the Jack Casady.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_starline_hollowbody_e_bass_bag.htm - that's the one I had.  There is a cheaper one but with commensurately less protection.

My 20th Anniversary edition came with a gigbag.  Frankly speaking I think all Jack Casady basses should be supplied with a gigbag - this is a £6-700 bass, not cheap by any stretch of the imagination and by providing the bag with the 20th Anniversary it just proves that they can do it when they can be bothered!

This is great info @neepheid thanks so much, looks great. 

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I have the Peerless Bassmaster Player which is the JC by another name. Peerless used to make the JC for Epiphone  it I think the quality of this version surpasses the Epi. Yes it is surprisingly versatile for a single pickup Bass. Probably due to the variable impedance output. The only downside I’ve found to date is the neck finish which is too glossy. Haven’t got round to rubbing down yet to a nice satin, but I will.

00EAAAD4-9682-4551-B513-F7DCA3533765.jpeg

I have previously owned a ‘66 Gibson EB2D, a Bach EB2 clone and a Hofner Violin. This knocks spots off all of them.

Fantastic @Grahambythesea great to hear some history about this bass that I didn’t know. 

I agree, I think the variable impedance does a lot for this bass. It kinda looked to me like it might be a little light tone-wise but it’s certainly not! 

9 hours ago, acidbass said:

I love mine, bought it a few weeks ago and she's the veteran of 3 gigs so far - all jazz/swing gigs.  Put a Hipshot Supertone on it as soon as I got it and finished with a set of my usual La Bella 760FS flats (45-105).  I love the 50 setting on the Varitone with the tone control rolled off, just a beautiful plummy tone.  I suspect the 500 setting might work better for pop and rock gigs as it seems to have a bit more poke.  The neck feels great too. All in all, a wonderful bass for the money.

Cheers @acidbass, I’ve also used it to track some Jazz backing tracks for my new course. I didn’t expect to use it for Jazz until I got it and then that tone made so much sense for Jazz. 

I’m liking the 250 setting, also with the tone rolled off and I’m thinking La Bella’s for replacement strings. I usually go for 45 - 105 on my P-basses but was considering going lighter for this bass. What do you reckon? 

1 hour ago, greghagger said:

Cheers @acidbass, I’ve also used it to track some Jazz backing tracks for my new course. I didn’t expect to use it for Jazz until I got it and then that tone made so much sense for Jazz. 

I’m liking the 250 setting, also with the tone rolled off and I’m thinking La Bella’s for replacement strings. I usually go for 45 - 105 on my P-basses but was considering going lighter for this bass. What do you reckon? 

I used the 760FL on P and J basses before and honestly I think the slightly lighter gauge of the FLs might feel a little more comfortable than the FS on the Casady, given the position of the pickup which is marginally closer to the bridge than say a neck pickup on a P.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 01:00, greghagger said:

Looks great @Len_derby

FYI, I have a 5 string Star Bass that already came with a nicely fitting gig bag. But it accidentally ended up in one of my thomann gig bags, to my surprise. A Star Bass fits perfectly inside one of these. I've played some Jack Casadys but can't determine from memory if the body was any bulkier than my Star Bass'.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_ebass.htm

• Like 1

14 hours ago, greghagger said:

Cheers @acidbass

I’ve got LaBella Deep Talking Flats on mine. Great choice especially as they don’t have silks on the ball end to foul up the bridge.

• Like 1

I had Fender tapewounds on mine which sounded great on a P bass but I think it took something away from the JC, it felt like it was holding back. It didn't sound bad by any means, I just think there's more in that pickup and three way switch  Getting it back from a proper set up tomorrow with Maruszczyk flats on it and hoping it opens up a little more. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 00:04, acidbass said:

I used the 760FL on P and J basses before and honestly I think the slightly lighter gauge of the FLs might feel a little more comfortable than the FS on the Casady, given the position of the pickup which is marginally closer to the bridge than say a neck pickup on a P.

I only asked as the current strings which have rusted up a little on the bridge are a little lighter. Don’t know what they are but they have light green thread so guessing Fender strings. But I’ll like to replace with a better set. 

On 15/02/2022 at 13:52, uk_lefty said:

I had Fender tapewounds on mine which sounded great on a P bass but I think it took something away from the JC, it felt like it was holding back. It didn't sound bad by any means, I just think there's more in that pickup and three way switch  Getting it back from a proper set up tomorrow with Maruszczyk flats on it and hoping it opens up a little more. 

That’s good to know. I’d love to hear how you get on with the new strings. 

On 15/02/2022 at 07:37, andruca said:

FYI, I have a 5 string Star Bass that already came with a nicely fitting gig bag. But it accidentally ended up in one of my thomann gig bags, to my surprise. A Star Bass fits perfectly inside one of these. I've played some Jack Casadys but can't determine from memory if the body was any bulkier than my Star Bass'.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_ebass.htm

Great, I’ll check that out. 

This is my pimped Jack. It's a silver burst with Full Contact Bridge, Mama pickup and replacement pots and wiring. It's strung with Rotosound Flats to give a thumping old school sound.

IMG_20210718_163630_8~2.jpg

IMG_20210718_163630_8.jpg

Edited by spyder
  • Like 3