Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan Weather Report pups

Boodang

On the Seymour Duncan custom pickup web page there is a listing for a pair of jazz pickups called 'Weather Report', the specifications of which are taken from notes for some that he made for a 'special friend'!

I'm intrigued to get a set of these Jaco pickups but before I shell out (they're not cheap!) I was wondering if anyone has got experience of them.

20220212_124235.jpg.42bc569ed1979b55d47de8fbc1e11fbc.jpg

Edited by Boodang

PS. as much as I like Jaco's playing, more his albums than some of his exuberant live solos, my influences are more double bass in jazz and melodic styles like Eberhard Weber. 

So these pickups are potentially part of a technical project to create a Jaco sounding jazz bass just for the fun of it more than because it'll suit my playing (I like jazz basses!).

In fact if I get a bass sorted Jaco style, it'll spend most of its time being played in a completely different way! 

How much difference can there really be in a pair of single coil jazz pickups? The provenance and origins of which make the “USP” and marketing for a more expensive than normal set of pickups. 
Truth is Jaco would sound like Jaco whatever he played, very few others will. Would anyone else notice? 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Dazed said:

How much difference can there really be in a pair of single coil jazz pickups? The provenance and origins of which make the “USP” and marketing for a more expensive than normal set of pickups. 
Truth is Jaco would sound like Jaco whatever he played, very few others will. Would anyone else notice? 

There's a lot of truth in what you say but the project is about getting a close approximation of the tone of the jazz bass he used, regardless of anything else. 

Also, there's something about having pickups from Seymour Duncan made to the same spec as the ones he made for Jaco... even if it is just marketing the concept appeals. As to how different can single coil pickups sound... well my alnico2 sounds different to the alnico5 which sounds different to the large pole Delano which sounds different to the DiMarzio J which sounds different..........

So, the two main ingredients in the jazz bass I think are, the pickups and the epoxy resin fretboard. Oh, and as to whether anyone else would notice, well I don't care if even I don't notice the difference, it's just for sh*ts and giggles. 

• Like 1

Once tested a very similar pair of basses in a store, a cheaper basic SB and another with these WR pickups. The latter had a better setup and sounded better - but I do not play or sound like the late Mr. Pastorius, no matter which pickups my basses would have.

51 minutes ago, Boodang said:

There's a lot of truth in what you say but the project is about getting a close approximation of the tone of the jazz bass he used, regardless of anything else. 

Also, there's something about having pickups from Seymour Duncan made to the same spec as the ones he made for Jaco... even if it is just marketing the concept appeals. As to how different can single coil pickups sound... well my alnico2 sounds different to the alnico5 which sounds different to the large pole Delano which sounds different to the DiMarzio J which sounds different..........

So, the two main ingredients in the jazz bass I think are, the pickups and the epoxy resin fretboard. Oh, and as to whether anyone else would notice, well I don't care if even I don't notice the difference, it's just for sh*ts and giggles. 

Don’t get me wrong I know pickups will

sound slightly different especially if heard solo’d and trying to analyse the tiniest of variation but in reality, behind a band, probably barely noticeable. 
A fretless jazz bass is a close approximation. Add epoxy to the board and you’re pretty much there. Wasn’t a fair part of the Jaco sound down to his back line too? 

If it’s all for sh*ts and giggles what does any of this matter 😄

Edited by Dazed

1 hour ago, itu said:

Once tested a very similar pair of basses in a store, a cheaper basic SB and another with these WR pickups. The latter had a better setup and sounded better - but I do not play or sound like the late Mr. Pastorius, no matter which pickups my basses would have.

In fairness I'm never going to sound like Jaco no matter what I do! But neither am I trying to. I play 99% fretless and like jazz basses, and when I saw the WR pickups it seemed like a good idea to match up with an epoxy fingerboard.

20 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Don’t get me wrong I know pickups will

sound slightly different especially if heard solo’d and trying to analyse the tiniest of variation but in reality, behind a band, probably barely noticeable. 
A fretless jazz bass is a close approximation. Add epoxy to the board and you’re pretty much there. Wasn’t a fair part of the Jaco sound down to his back line too? 

If it’s all for sh*ts and giggles what does any of this matter 😄

Whether it's barely noticeable in a live setting won't stop me nerding over details! And for recording it might make more of a difference, although probably the main difference will be in my head when I play the bass but then I don't mind the placebo effect.

And yep, Jaco always said a big part of his amplified sound was his Acoustic 360 & folded bass bin. I was reading about an incident when he was asked into the studio but it was short and wouldn't be able to use his Acoustic, so he didn't want to do it. But you have to draw the line somewhere and I'm not dragging around an 18" folded bass bin to gigs!

As to why it matters, it's for the giggles which is fun. And as I like fun it matters loads!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

It seems that way right now, however, I'd be very interested in hearing yours if you take the plunge.

Good luck! 

4 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

A good number of us will be interested in the epoxy fingerboard part of the build; watching with interest

Well, I'm going to take the plunge on the pickups. Unfortunately Seymour Duncan state on their site that they do not ship to the EU due to WEEE regulations. Not sure if that applies to the UK now but I'll ask them. As the WR pickups are custom made to order, that makes it a bit more difficult if they don't ship but I'll persevere. 

The epoxy fingerboard will have to wait for a bit as I'm moving, to a different country, but once I'm settled in I'll get started on it. The move might help with getting the pickups delivered but I'm not sure SD ship to the country I'm going to either!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Out of intetest, Seymour Duncan didn't start making pickups for Jaco until the early '80s, so all of his classic recordings were done with stock Fender pickups.

Interesting... I shall do more research. I'll still get the WRs, even if I get something else as well, as I just like the idea behind them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

Interesting... I shall do more research. I'll still get the WRs, even if I get something else as well, as I just like the idea behind them. 

If it inspires you to play more, play differently, and brings a smile to your face, all without causing financial hardship you've won. Hope it goes well.

I've not used them either, would have thought the epoxy fretboard had more influence on the sound, but every detail helps.

I think you should definitely get them. 

Because you want too.

I've swapped pickups in basses now, and for other people too. I think it can make a huge difference. Last pu I swapped out was a USA mm to a aguilar mm. There was a big difference. Even with the standard electrics. After the pre was also swapped. In this case it didn't really suit the stingray vibe, it sounded better in a hifi way, but not as aggressive. 

I would think in this case it will really add to a jaco replica bass. Giving its based on what he wanted in a pu. 

Quick look.at some reviews seem favourable, note some people mentioned they are purposely not potted, so microphnics may be an issue.  

I also see you can buy these pickups from various other places. 

8 minutes ago, Twincam said:

I think you should definitely get them. 

Because you want too.

I've swapped pickups in basses now, and for other people too. I think it can make a huge difference. Last pu I swapped out was a USA mm to a aguilar mm. There was a big difference. Even with the standard electrics. After the pre was also swapped. In this case it didn't really suit the stingray vibe, it sounded better in a hifi way, but not as aggressive. 

I would think in this case it will really add to a jaco replica bass. Giving its based on what he wanted in a pu. 

Quick look.at some reviews seem favourable, note some people mentioned they are purposely not potted, so microphnics may be an issue.  

I also see you can buy these pickups from various other places. 

Yep, I reckon that's a good enough reason to get them!

Interestingly I emailed SD and they said the WR pups can be potted if I want but that it would reduce the upper harmonic response (not sure about the physics of how that works but I'll take their word for it).

But yeah, I reckon these will be a good place to start for my Jaco bass.

There's a guy on Instagram in the States called Jacob Smith (jacob_smith_bass). He's a great player and has quite a few videos of a Frankenfender he made with the Weather Report pickups. They sound really good in my opinion, like most of Seymour's stuff. My understanding is that they are wound a little hotter than the original pickups (and the Antiquities which is Seymour Duncan's attempt to clone a early '60s Jazz pickup). I presume this was done to thicken up the sound on the soloed bridge pickup (some say it's thin but I don't think anyone could really complain about Jaco's stock tone). 

OP, go for it, I've never heard a bad set of Seymour Duncan pickups. Even if you don't sound exactly like Jaco I'm sure they'll sound great.

@Boodang : There's a brand new set for sale on Reverb at the moment https://reverb.com/item/1497486

That said, I bought (again) a 2012 Fender Jaco Pastorius last week and must say it sounds very very very close to Jaco's tone with the American Vintage pickups fitted.

But I might be interested in these pickups too...

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@Boodang : There's a brand new set for sale on Reverb at the moment https://reverb.com/item/1497486

That said, I bought (again) a 2012 Fender Jaco Pastorius last week and must say it sounds very very very close to Jaco's tone with the American Vintage pickups fitted.

But I might be interested in these pickups too...

Well, I've bought the ones on reverb! Thanks for the tip.

• Like 3