Why become a member? ×

Laurence Canty - Discussion, Memories, Potential Mega-thread

Matthew Canty

2 hours ago, toneknob said:

how do!

My favourite Laurence Canty story from the basschat archives: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/193152-the-power-of-basschat/#comment-1884147

Also, Colin mentions Laurence in the Bass Magazine interview from the first edition of Bass Magazine https://bassmagazine.com/artists/colin-greenwood-how-to-disappear-completely

I've got both What Bass (third edition) and Electric Bass Guitar, The Complete Guide - More What Bass memories to follow but what sticks in my mind is how to set up a Boss Octave pedal for optimum Pino sound. The Complete Guide - the rhythm patterns, aieee

Disclosure, I worked with @toneknob 😄

Thanks again! I remember it happening very quickly. Hope I'll one day see and play that bass...

Hi Matthew

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad. He was a good friend of mine and we used to meet regularly before he moved to Lancaster.

I depped for him once at Goldsmiths but saw less of him since we both left London.

I had a 60th  birthday party at the home of my ex in Lancaster so we met up again.

I also saw a band he was playing with in Lancaster where I believe you were bar tending so I introduced myself...?

One abiding memory is his love of trains and coffee!

All the best, joe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shantijoe said:

Hi Matthew

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad. He was a good friend of mine and we used to meet regularly before he moved to Lancaster.

I depped for him once at Goldsmiths but saw less of him since we both left London.

I had a 60th  birthday party at the home of my ex in Lancaster so we met up again.

I also saw a band he was playing with in Lancaster where I believe you were bar tending so I introduced myself...?

One abiding memory is his love of trains and coffee!

All the best, joe

Hello Joe!

I’ll have to admit not remembering that occasion in the bar but there was a lot to occupy the mind on that job.

Maybe there is a figment of a memory…

Trains yes and coffee yes. We built a train set together when I was a child. I was also brought up on a diet of “mini-caps” which I think are commonly known as “baby-cinos” today. Prefer our name!

I attended Laurence's bass class on Saturdays at Goldsmiths around 1979 when I was an eager 16 year old metalhead with a cheap jazz bass copy. I used to look forward to the class all week. I still have my copy of "Electric bass Guitar - A complete guide" in which Laurence corrected an incorrectly printed diagram in biro.

So sorry to hear about his current health issues.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is that infamous bass at the studio on Friday. He’d had it fretted a while ago but I restored it.

(I should know better about my LH thumb position! I play a lot of guitar these days…)

It needs some finesse, longer strings should have been used and the action is a bit challenging. 

😂 

• Like 3

On 04/04/2022 at 09:59, Matthew Canty said:

Here is that infamous bass at the studio on Friday. He’d had it fretted a while ago but I restored it.

(I should know better about my LH thumb position! I play a lot of guitar these days…)

It needs some finesse, longer strings should have been used and the action is a bit challenging. 

😂

I’m sure it was a regular “headed” Bass when I knew LC - or am I dreaming??

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2022 at 14:40, PTB said:

I’m sure it was a regular “headed” Bass when I knew LC - or am I dreaming??

There was a regular-headed fretless as well. However I have found letters indicating he was particularly happy about it. Don’t think the choice of wood worked out.

I think this bass was part of some wild imagination with the left over body.

There are 3 basses now and it’s going to take some detective work to piece it all  together. Most of the involved people have passed away.

• 1 month later...
On 10/02/2022 at 08:51, Matthew Canty said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and my dad is Laurence Canty. I have so many beautiful memories from the little pubs of Lancaster (UK) where he played with the local trad' jazz bands. Eventually he started his own band here in Lancaster called Quay Change. They peddled "modern?" jazz to the local area - weddings, university balls, and such like etc.

He is perhaps best-known for his book Electric Bass Guitar, The Complete Guide which has had various titles and versions since it's inception around 1974. There was also a significant stint as lecturer(?) of bass guitar at Goldsmiths. He took over this post from Mo Foster! He taught me how to play bass guitar from about 12 years old. I remember long lessons spent on the correct pressure to apply to the strings. 

Unfortunately, he has mid-to-late Dementia. He still remembers significant amounts of his life however he suffers delusions and logic completely escapes him. He is in an a sad situation but the fact he can remember his life makes it all the more important that I gather stories sooner rather than later.

I am looking for anyone who may know anything about him. You may have been his private pupil. You may have found his book and found it to be advantageous? You may have played gigs with him in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s or 10s and have something you remember about him?

I am ultimately looking for the bass communities' experience of my dad. I'd love to see stories, photographs, videos or simply a memory of the way he was way back when.

I'll be seeing him tomorrow. We'll probably talk about coffee and music, as we always do.

EPSON010.thumb.JPG.2c5d0516ba65e9963423aaf37f98b0b8.JPG

I have a handwritten letter from your dad in a book somewhere in storage...from 1992!  I read What Bass at the ripe old age of 16, having taken bass up and left drums behind the previous year.  I can't remember what I wrote to him about specifically but I was obsessed about bass and thirsty for information being stuck in the comparative wilderness that was New Zealand at the time.  I suspect I was asking him about Jaydees and Status basses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 18:45, Kiwi said:

I have a handwritten letter from your dad in a book somewhere in storage...from 1992!  I read What Bass at the ripe old age of 16, having taken bass up and left drums behind the previous year.  I can't remember what I wrote to him about specifically but I was obsessed about bass and thirsty for information being stuck in the comparative wilderness that was New Zealand at the time.  I suspect I was asking him about Jaydees and Status basses.

Epic! I can probably track down your letter easily if it’s there. I’m moving into his house on the 4th June. Once dust has settled I’ll have a look through.

Matt

It could have been 1988 or 1989 come to think of it,  I wasn't really aware of different basses until after September 1987. I would have only been playing for a year in 1987.  But regardless, it would be quite something if your father had kept my letter...!

Hi Martin,

I run the Basses I'd Like To Pluck Facebook page.

Sorry to hear about your father.

I recently posted this at https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02mnqoWNFNQ2DSdMt3gsmpHaMtB7E4S1Vpi6qTwSZKQ4Pt2RLwYiUNDsa14iHJjSCjl&id=575916252449764

Although I no longer have complete copies of the magazine I do an extensive archive of bass articles. 

Transcribed from Making Music March 1997

The first bass guitar in Britain. 

Canty struck a match. He knew that somewhere out there in the dark lay the truth. The real story of the electric bass guitar's first appearance in Britain. He also knew he'd come too far to give up now...

BY 1930, speakers and valves (which made electrical recording and repro duction possible) had arrived. This produced a huge increase in bass response on domestic systems and created an expectation of a similar sound from live bands.

By the late 1930s, some guitarists were already using amplification; soon (with a slight interruption for a World War) Leo Fender introduced his electric guitar and, in 1951, his Precision bass in the USA. But post-war import restrictions excluded US instruments from the UK, and so delayed the arrival of bass guitars

here.

British musicians' first exposure to this new-fangled instrument would have been either through American rock & roll films or from such bands as The Treniers or Freddie Bell & The Bell Boys who toured here. But even though you might have seen and heard a bass guitar, you couldn't actually buy one.

While researching an article on Jet Harris (original bassist with the Shadows) I learnt he'd switched from double bass in early 1958 and claimed to be one of the first three UK bass guitarists. It got me wondering : who the other two were, and who was first.

Various suspects were suggested, and it was clear that sometime in 1957 someone had taken the plunge. Then, last April, Channel 4's late-night film The Six-Five Special featured, among others, the John Barry Seven, with Fred Kirk on bass guitar. Checking the date of the film revealed it was made in late 1957 and Fred became a strong contender for the coveted title.

Only pausing to collect my deerstalker hat, pipe and magnifying glass, I was back on the phone to my network of sources and the story began to emerge. John Barry (of 007 fame) had assembled a band with other ex-RAF musicians for a 1956 Scarborough summer season. Then, in October, Lionel Hampton's band - featuring a Fender bass - toured. (John Dankworth walked out of their London gig because it "wasn't jazz", possibly a reference to the bass guitar.) However, when Hampton's band performed at a

York theatre owned by Barry's father, the Fender obviously impressed Barry and his band. Shortly afterwards, while on business in the US, his father bought a Hofner Violin bass. I'm not sure what the Hofner bass was doing in the US in 1956 - perhaps an American serviceman had brought it back from Germany. Even our own esteemed Guitar Guru can't offer a better explanation.

On March 17th 1957 - exactly 40 years ago this month at the Rialto Theatre in York, history was made when the band made its debut. The bass guitar had finally arrived in Britain. Fred, like many of the early converts to bass guitar, had to be persuaded to switch from double bass. Unlike most, though, who used picks, he played finger style because that's how he'd seen Hampton's bassist do it. He couldn't ask anyone for technical tips because he never saw another bass guitarist.

After a 1957 Blackpool summer season, the band got a recording deal with EMI. But the Abbey Road engineers were not familiar with bass guitar and Fred had to revert to double bass - which suggests there weren't, as has been claimed, any session players with bass guitars at that time. In November 1957, though, the band recorded its next single, "Every Which Way"/"You've Got A Way", with the bass guitar - probably the first British bass guitar tracks.

In 1958, having set a musical precedent, Fred, then 31, retired from music and returned to his original, and more lucrative career as a pilot. He was replaced by bassist Mike Peters, who'd never touched a bass guitar before. He was handed the Hofner and started gigging immediately.

Meanwhile, back in London in early 1957 - probably unaware that Fred had got in first-

Selmer sold their first Hofner bass to Barney (any offers on his surname?) of Rory Blackwell's Blackjacks. He'd already been playing bass guitar by detuning the bottom strings of a guitar. As soon as Selmer received a second delivery it was snapped up by Brian Gregg - who in 1960 was to play bass on Johnny Kidd & The Pirates' rock classic, "Shakin' All Over".

Later in 1957, Framus bass guitars went on sale, and at least a couple - one to Don Wilson of the skiffle group Dickie Bishop & The Sidekicks - were bought before Jet got his. (Don Wilson's career was ended abruptly by a traffic accident in 1964 when he was with the Artwoods, whose line up included Jon Lord on keyboards - hence the missing link between skiffle and heavy metal... "Smoke On The Water" may have started out on wash board and tea-chest bass. But maybe not.) At the beginning of 1959, bass guitars were still the exception but, probably inspired by Jet Harris, come 1960 every band had to have one. The sound of pop music as we know it had been established.

Laurence Canty

• Like 7

@Basses Id Like To Pluck marvellous!

Thanks for posting this. I have found drafts of this magazine, but not this one. I’ll get this one printed out for the “This Is Your Life” red binder.

incidentally I know this story well, I’ve been told it many times!!

Next time I see him I’ll mention it for you.

Thanks

Matt

4 hours ago, Matthew Canty said:

@Basses Id Like To Pluck marvellous!

Thanks for posting this. I have found drafts of this magazine, but not this one. I’ll get this one printed out for the “This Is Your Life” red binder.

incidentally I know this story well, I’ve been told it many times!!

Next time I see him I’ll mention it for you.

Thanks

Matt

@Basses Id Like To Pluck glad you found the thread after our Facebook conversation.

I encountered Lawrence a couple of times in Highgate when a local player (whose name I can't recall) had dealings with him 

Was so well regarded as a fount of wisdom/guru.

@Matthew Canty best wishes to your Father and you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

just saw this Laurence taught me how to read music in London at what was Haringey Boys in 1983-85 in crouch end at the time he lived in Muswell hill. I still have the bass books he said i should buy and i still use them to this very day and the hand written  notes scales he did for me after all these years. Without him i would not be able to play a note. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Matthew , I had a couple of private lessons with your dad around 1976/1977 . Nice guy , relaxed and a good teacher . I remember vaguely a bedsit in North London where I think he lived with his girlfriend . He played a custom made jazz bass I think  . Perhaps natural finish . He preferred it to fenders . Lots of top tips in a short space of time . He was quite a popular tutor at the time and I think advertised his services in Melody Maker .  I seem to remember he was owed money for some sessions he had done at Freerange Studios in Covent Garden having been booked by the late Neville Wills . The studio came up in conversation as I too had been recording there . Send your dad my regards . ATB Bill 

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd throw a little update out, as it's been nearly a year!

Thank you so much for all those who have continued to drop in and say a few things. It really means a lot to me to hear that he impacted so many players in a positive way. He would absolutely love to talk "degrees of separation" with all this. I sometimes like thinking about the "chains of inspiration" which must exist from one player to the next...

@Ace Bass, 1976/77, that is early! You must have been a guinea pig for some of his thoughts. I tried to find Neville Wills, are you referring to the guitarist associated with Bowie (https://www.bowiebible.com/features/live-band-personnel-1962-2006/)? Looks like the internet doesn't go back that far 😆. Anyway I'll keep an eye out for something in the house and report back. I have his diaries back to 1972 so I'll surely find something.

Dad is in stable condition. I mean dementia only goes one way, but he is comfortable and doesn't know much else. I see him every Friday, and always have a nice chat about music theory or music history. I have many hours of voice recordings on my phone. We also made a start on the Beatles doc. However I only really get an hour of useful time out of him so it could take another year to finish that!

Keep playing everyone, and have fun! That is all he ever wanted.

Best

Matt

Edited by Matthew Canty
  • Like 8

I don't know your dad but just wanted to send my regards to both of you. My mother in law now has dementia, brought on by having parkinsons, so I know difficult and heartbreaking it can be.

It's nice to read the positive impact your dad has had on the bass world so thank you.

Just keep on keeping on and make the most of what you have together. 

Best wishes, Allan. 

• Like 3

On 10/02/2022 at 07:37, FDC484950 said:

Wasn’t Laurence a regular contributor to Making Music magazine? IIRC it was a free, A4-sized mag that used to be distributed in music shops in the 80s and 90s. It was a fair while ago but I remember he had a good writing style.

Yes, and I used to read it too

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/02/2022 at 00:51, Matthew Canty said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and my dad is Laurence Canty. I have so many beautiful memories from the little pubs of Lancaster (UK) where he played with the local trad' jazz bands. Eventually he started his own band here in Lancaster called Quay Change. They peddled "modern?" jazz to the local area - weddings, university balls, and such like etc.

He is perhaps best-known for his book Electric Bass Guitar, The Complete Guide which has had various titles and versions since it's inception around 1974. There was also a significant stint as lecturer(?) of bass guitar at Goldsmiths. He took over this post from Mo Foster! He taught me how to play bass guitar from about 12 years old. I remember long lessons spent on the correct pressure to apply to the strings. 

Unfortunately, he has mid-to-late Dementia. He still remembers significant amounts of his life however he suffers delusions and logic completely escapes him. He is in an a sad situation but the fact he can remember his life makes it all the more important that I gather stories sooner rather than later.

I am looking for anyone who may know anything about him. You may have been his private pupil. You may have found his book and found it to be advantageous? You may have played gigs with him in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s or 10s and have something you remember about him?

I am ultimately looking for the bass communities' experience of my dad. I'd love to see stories, photographs, videos or simply a memory of the way he was way back when.

I'll be seeing him tomorrow. We'll probably talk about coffee and music, as we always do.

EPSON010.thumb.JPG.2c5d0516ba65e9963423aaf37f98b0b8.JPG

Hi Matt Sorry to hear about your dad 

I’m putting the finished touches to a video interview and ironically was just about to give credit to your Dad who was a massive influence on my playing and later teaching methods.

Please email me we’re we can continue this chat.

I have some photos that Laurence took of me that might jog his memory 

look forward to hearing from you

[email protected]

• Like 1

One other I knew him and went for lessons at his place in Highgate London.He taught many great bassists around that time as well as at his classes at Goldsmiths college.

You can jog his memory about the interview we did for making music magazine 

Edited by frannie01
  • Like 1

I was just thinking about your Dad, I am so sorry to hear about his health , I also had lessons in Muswell Hill / Highgate he taught me how to play from scratch. Laurence was always kind and had great patience and as a favour would transcribe (by ear) many bass parts for me, he also introduced me to Weather Report and Jaco.

My thoughts and prayers to you and Laurence 

• Like 2

Hi Matthew

I am so sad to hear about your dad. I knew him very well in the mid to late eighties.   I studied bass at Goldsmiths Uni of London under him and then studied privately with him at his place in Muswell Hill.    He was a kind and very encouraging teacher who made  the seemingly difficult and unfathomable a hugely enjoyable and productive learning experience.  I was very, very fond of Lawrence.   I became reasonably proficient and eventually ended up playing and composing for the theatre.   This lead to me rather circuitously  becoming an actor in theatre, radio abd tv.  I then became a screenwriter and director in the film business and to date I have made seven features and won several awards including a BAFTA.   I came from a very working class background in Wales and lost my dad when I was eight and my mum before the age of twenty.  So I have to tell you that Lawrence was a hugely empowering and guiding influence at a time of huge self doubt and vulnerability.   Without him and the hope he engendered, I’m not sure I would have gone on to have the career, or indeed the life, I have now.    It fills me with immense gratitude that I know him.   A very special man.  A great teacher and a great player!   He was a sublime educator and is a special human being.   It is so very sad to hear that his health has deteriorated.   Please, please send him my love and deepest gratitude.   A lovely man. I am married, have a daughter and a grandson, but those years studying with Lawrence were hugely formative and filled me with belief that life could be full of joy and excitement if only we can find a glimmer of courage.  This is how critical learning from Lawrence was to me.  Please feel free to contact me at the email address provided.   My very, very best wishes Matthew.   Make Lawrence know I am sending him love and thanks!!

Wyndham Price 

• Like 13